• Only Fools and Horses

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • Fawlty Towers

Votes: 75 52.1%

• Total voters

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/63rcdLeXiU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Only fools all day.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Very difficult to compare to be honest. Fawlty Towers - the classic British sitcom, Only Fools and Horses more of a comedy drama in later years.

I'd don't think F&H went on too long although they probably made the mistake of bringing it back for those specials after they walked off into the sunset. Remember a lot of the classic moments happened in it's later years and the first series really wasn't much.

Fawlty Towers only really let itself down once - during the rat episode. The mechanical rat in the box is so crap, it's just silly rather than being genuinely funny. They should never have left that scene in or re-shot it with a real rat.

One of the classic Dad's Army was also let down by technology. The episode where Arthur Lowe plays Captain Mainwaring's brother is almost ruined by the bedroom scene, since the split screen was down so badly.

Every time I watch it, I wish somebody would digitally remaster it to make it look a little better.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
OFAH wins it for me but we are talking about Britains two best ever comedys IMO.

I agree with OFAH but personally i'd put Fawltey Towers behind Dad's Army, Last of the summer wine and Some mothers do have'em.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
let's see,a game of golf,a few tips,oh and it's the weekend,200?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I agree with OFAH but personally i'd put Fawltey Towers behind Dad's Army, Last of the summer wine and Some mothers do have'em.

It's all about opinions as Harty says, but Some mothers do have'em hasn't aged well and is probably the reason it isn't repeated.

The Dick Emery Show is another. Terrible in retrospect.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I liked OFAH as a kid, but I grew out of it quickly. The plots got cheesy and there was over reliance on sentimentality for me. I also felt that the writers would think up a funny line, then work backwards to find a way to fit in in.

The characters in FT were more believable I always felt.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The characters in FT were more believable I always felt.

Yeah, defo. Never really got OFAH, funny in parts but the characters weren't believable. Fawlty Towers for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here