What comedy is better?

• Only Fools and Horses

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • Fawlty Towers

Votes: 75 52.1%

• Total voters

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
If it was first 12 episodes of Horses vs the 12 episodes of Fawlty it would be harder to decide, but each episode of Fawlty Towers is so good compared to some pap episodes of Horses that drag down the series I have to vote Fawlty Towers.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Only Fools & Horses for me on accountant of it's various sub plots involving a rich mix of characters from Mike the barman, Trigger, Denzil, Rodney's mate Mickey Pearce, Boycie and Marlene etc. as well as the Del Boy, Rodney, Grandad and Uncle Albert.

I loved Fawlty Towers, but it probably was a 12 episode show given it's structured writing around the hotel and a tight cast. Both are laugh out loud funny, but I think Only Fools delivered a rich mix of stories that appealed to a huge section of society without being cringeworthy mainstream (well, it did towards the end I suppose).

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Which is where the argument about getting out whilst ahead comes in, OFAH was quality right up until Rodney and Cassandra's wedding, the following christmas special 'The Jolly Boys Outing' was also very good and tied up the loose end of Raquel and Del, but after that with the exception of perhaps one or two episodes, it was almost as if John Sullivan would just churn out episodes for the Beeb regardless of content.
John Cleese finished Fawlty Towers after two series, Ronnie Barker knocked Porridge on the head after three, Gervais did the same with the Office and Extras, and hopefully Lifes Too Short which started off really well, but excuse the pun hasnt really got the legs for a second series.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In my humble opinion they can't be judged against each other, it's like Usain Bolt v Haile Gebrselassie, one is a sprinter (Farty Towels), one is a long distance runner (Only Fools)... so for that reason I am out.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Slightly off topic. When I was at school everyone would spend the next day after Monty Python discussing it and creasing up laughing. Well I confess to not finding it very funny at the time. In fact the cartoony bits like the hammer coming down used to make me cringe. Was it just me being old before my time. In my defence I did grow to appreciate it in later years

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
the clear winner is Only fools and Horses, the falling through the bar sketch and the chandelier falling from the ceiling is pure comedy gold

Sketch? It was a short scene and one of the two dragged out to show how good Only Fools was. It was good, but Fawlty Towers was great.

OFAH was a sitcom (a good one I will grant you) - Fawlty Towers was note perfect comedy perfection.

(I think this result also reflects the age profile of NSC - Fawlty Towers was perhaps 10 years before OFAH and therefore was not seen originally by so many people. OFAH became an institution and that status is reflected in the votes)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here