Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only captains to be allowed to speak to the referee

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
FA to tackle players' behaviour

The Football Association plans to step up its campaign against bad behaviour by launching a pilot scheme that allows only captains to talk to referees. FA chief executive Brian Barwick says it will be introduced at grass-roots level and is part of a wider programme aimed at improving standards.

"It's not going to change the world but I am determined to make an impact - and I'll do it," Barwick told Radio 5live. He added that the FA is still pushing strongly for goal-line technology. Barwick says he has been "banging down the doors" of football's world and European governing bodies Fifa and Uefa to ensure referees are given extra help with crucial decisions.

"Goal-line technology will ultimately be delivered and the great part of it will be because of the work the FA has done," he said.

As for improving standards of behaviour in football, spectators and club officials will also be expected to conform as Barwick seeks to clean up the game from the bottom to the top. The three main components of the pilot scheme to be launched in nine regions from next January are:

• Only the team captain will be allowed to speak with the referee.

• Roped-off areas will be introduced at junior matches so 'over-indulgent or abusive' parents cannot direct their bile at the referee.

• All players and club officials will be forced to sign a 'memorandum of understanding' noting the standards of behaviour that will be expected.

Barwick added: "These things are done better through discussion rather than a big stick but we want to stop the situation getting out of hand. There is a lot of emotion and passion in the game but you only have to look at a sport like rugby to see there seems to be a certain level of respect for the officials. That sets a marker down for our game because the treatment of referees is a really serious issue and something we have to deal with."

Barwick's stance has been backed by England coach Steve McClaren, who was once forced to resign as president of a local club because of the behaviour of parents. "In my opinion, this thing has to start at the bottom," he said. "In my experience, over many years of coaching, the players coming through are less disciplined every year and instilling the discipline required into them is getting harder and harder."

As for goal-line technology, tests are currently being undertaken at Reading's academy on the Hawk-Eye system that has proved so effective in cricket and tennis.

The results will be evaluated by the Premier League and Fifa, but Barwick is determined to come up with a way of determining beyond all doubt whether a ball has crossed the goal-line or not.

"I would say we are market leaders in trying to do it and now the Premier League are taking it on in terms of experimentation," added Barwick. "I absolutely buy the fact that when the ball crosses the line, these days it's absolutely imperative that we know it, the referee knows it and he's not the guy with a red face because everybody else at home knows. So technology, yes, the right technology, yes, goal-line technology, absolutely yes."

Barwick has also given his opinion on the current influx of foreign investors in the Premier League. He has no major concerns about that situation but feels it is important such businessmen care about English football.

"You can't discriminate on the basis of nationality," he stated. "It's a fantastic injection of capital and let's hope in five or 10 years' time we look back on it as a seriously positive moment in English football. I absolutely believe that you have got to care. I'm not naive enough to think that every person who has bought into a club in the last 18 months necessarily followed the fortunes of that club previously. But that might have been the case with other British owners down the years as well."

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
the trouble is , its one of experience and dicipline

from an early age, it is drummed into Rugby players that the refs decision is final, no backchat whatsoever and if you do, the ref moves the kick/scrm etc 10 yards further down the pitch. Its quite disheartening when you have made a 60 yard gain, only to have some gobby twat mouth off , and suddenly you are heading backwards.

Also, one thing that rugby refs do which would never be followed is refs tell the captain to calm their players down. In football its regarded as "taemmwork" if all players rush up and start haranguing the ref ( remember Micky Adams comments on this)

shorey166

Sep 3, 2006
The only way this is gonna stop is if a ref just gives a red for pesistent argueing, then hopefully other refs would do the same.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
the trouble is , its one of experience and dicipline

from an early age, it is drummed into Rugby players that the refs decision is final, no backchat whatsoever and if you do, the ref moves the kick/scrm etc 10 yards further down the pitch. Its quite disheartening when you have made a 60 yard gain, only to have some gobby twat mouth off , and suddenly you are heading backwards.

Also, one thing that rugby refs do which would never be followed is refs tell the captain to calm their players down. In football its regarded as "taemmwork" if all players rush up and start haranguing the ref ( remember Micky Adams comments on this)
Rugby is a territorial game - 10 yards for back chat can prove very costly. Football is a game where possession is more important than territory. Therefore it really doesn't matter if you are 60 or 70 yards from goal. Ten yard penalties only become important in certain positions.

However, I'm all for captains-only talking to refs and for sin-binning booked players. In fact, I'd make it 20 minutes for a yellow card.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't agree with only the captains being allowed to talk to the ref. It should just be the manner of what you're saying and what you're actually saying. The rules at the moment are fine, it's merely the fact that most refs seem to have forgotten that swearing at them is a red card offence

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't agree with only the captains being allowed to talk to the ref. It should just be the manner of what you're saying and what you're actually saying. The rules at the moment are fine, it's merely the fact that most refs seem to have forgotten that swearing at them is a red card offence
raise your bat mate. 1000 up.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rugby is a territorial game - 10 yards for back chat can prove very costly. Football is a game where possession is more important than territory. Therefore it really doesn't matter if you are 60 or 70 yards from goal. Ten yard penalties only become important in certain positions.

However, I'm all for captains-only talking to refs and for sin-binning booked players. In fact, I'd make it 20 minutes for a yellow card.

Granted. the point I was trying to make (and failing) was that it is an attitude problem, whereby youngsters playing rugby are trained to respect the officials and know the sanction fpor not doing so which affects the whole team not just them.

In football it almost seems from the players/management/media/and CROWD that any decision against your team is there to be debated, disected and argued about, often in a very violent and aggressive manner, wether the decision proves later by television technology to be right or wrong.

i would go further and bring in TV replays for such things as goal mouth incidents ( ie balls going over the line) and instant retribution for divers. yes you would have a stop and start game for a while, buit if that cuts out the cheats then that should be followed up

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I remeber seeing an interview with Graham Poll where he said it was the type of swearing. Say a player says 'f***ing off ref, that was offside' in the heat of the moment then that's ok. If a player says 'f*** off ref, you ****' then he would be sent off.

Then again Poll was a right chummy arse sucker when it came to players.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The only way this is gonna stop is if a ref just gives a red for pesistent argueing, then hopefully other refs would do the same.

Absolutely agree. When you see 5 or 6 players surrounding a ref giving loads of verbals, the ref should simply be able to brandish a yellow card (in the first instance) at all of them.

I believe managers should take a firm stance on this as well. If I was a manager and a player was booked or even sent off for anything like abuse, diving or petulant dissent, they would instantly be fined at least a weeks wages.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
the problem again is that most of the indiscipline stems from what we see in the premiershite , I'm sure the lower down the leagues you go the refs get more respected........maybe im wrong

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Have to say Sunday before last there were 5 yellows in an U16 match and 4 to the opposition were all abusive language or unsportsman like conduct including kicking the ball in the face of a player chopped down.

Mind you are yellow was a disgraceful challenge as well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a great initiative and has been proven to work in rugby union. However, it is a hell of a leap for, say, the Gary Nevilles and Robbie Savage's of this world to suddenly button it.

The ref will normall dish out 3 card per match, so that's a lot of cards with no backchat. I suspect some refs will be lenient and some will have zero tolerance, so there will be the usual inconsistencies.

Overall, this measure would be far better FOLLOWING the introduction of cameras, not before it. Refs get things so wrong so often I have a degree of sympathy with players, so if the captain is the voicepiece of a team I can see the likes of Terry or Gerrard ending up with a dozen yellows every season.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I referee for my club in Mile Oaks and I make sure that even though it is mini-soccer, the parents, children and officials know that I'm going to play by the rules and that includes over-zealous parents being asked to leave the pitchside.

Football does need to follow the likes of Rugby in respect for referees.

Overall, this measure would be far better FOLLOWING the introduction of cameras, not before it. Refs get things so wrong so often I have a degree of sympathy with players, so if the captain is the voicepiece of a team I can see the likes of Terry or Gerrard ending up with a dozen yellows every season.

Referees making mistakes is no excuse for indiscipline, no matter how frustrating it is. Footballers should be able to keep themselves in check.

Why do you think we need cameras? Over time I think referees would adapt to this rule and become harsher in enforcing it (when they realised that all the other refs were), so I'm not sure that the need for cameras is there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am all for this and at grass roots level as it really is quite deplorable the level of ill discipline at U8 level upwards often egged on by "I want it all" parents with delusions that their son will be signed up by MUFC next week.

To say I am glad I finish managing my team after this year is an understatement as Youth Football is getting out of hand now and the majority of managers should know better as well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
the easiest way to overcome dissent is to move the kick forward 20 yards and if that happens to be into the penalty box the kick become a penalty. Managers would soon jump on dissent

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Correct

:thumbsup:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I am all for this and at grass roots level as it really is quite deplorable the level of ill discipline at U8 level upwards often egged on by "I want it all" parents with delusions that their son will be signed up by MUFC next week.

To say I am glad I finish managing my team after this year is an understatement as Youth Football is getting out of hand now and the majority of managers should know better as well.
Totally agree. If you want to know why England are crap at football just attend 95% of the U16 and below matches that are played every Sunday. Useless coaches, aggressive parents and neanderthal tactics all contribute to a depressing experience. I want the FA to ban the parents, set far stricter criteria on who can coach and then tell these coaches that winning some plastic trophies by topping the local U9's League is not as important as improving your players as footballers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In league football if the ref and his asst are wired to each other, in case of a disputed goal or whatever, there is not one single reason why a player should ever need to talk to the ref.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Totally agree. If you want to know why England are crap at football just attend 95% of the U16 and below matches that are played every Sunday. Useless coaches, aggressive parents and neanderthal tactics all contribute to a depressing experience. I want the FA to ban the parents, set far stricter criteria on who can coach and then tell these coaches that winning some plastic trophies by topping the local U9's League is not as important as improving your players as footballers.

Thanks for the vote of confidence - I am one of those useless coaches :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here