Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only captains to be allowed to speak to the referee

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Didn't Gaza once pick up the referees yellow when he dropped it by mistake and jokingly showed it to the referee only to actually get a yellow ?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Thats why I put almost.

Could you imagine the reaction if Ronaldo did it?

There are two seperate arguments here though.

1) how bad was what Terry did? I would say very stupid, should be banned for 3 games and fined.

2)How ridiculous is the media? I would say they are in the main sensationalist morons.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I too have helped run a team so I know what's involved. It's having witnessed it that made me realise that the emphasis was wrong. Far too much importance is given to results at far too young an age.

Just to come back to this. Having witnessed close-up both junior Rugby and Football - there are widely different standards in both - but rugby is light years ahead the way the game is played to suit the age of the lads. And also the spirit in which the game is played.

Terry's not the first (nor will he be the last) England player to get away with something on the football pitch. Remeber when Alan Shearer threatened to retire from international football when he faced being charged over kicking Neil Lennon in the face? And didn't Sol Campbell do something similar 2/3 years back (when he was first choice for England)? It's very sad that the people at the FA are far more interested in the England team (and all the revenue that they bring in) than upholding the laws of the game.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
What happens when the captain is the goalkeeper? Will the goalkeeper run to see the ref after every contentious decision?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
It will cause short term problems in holding up the game but essentially the letter of the law needs to be upheld by refs and punishments need to be handed out to players who don't comply.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just to come back to this. Having witnessed close-up both junior Rugby and Football - there are widely different standards in both - but rugby is light years ahead the way the game is played to suit the age of the lads. And also the spirit in which the game is played.
I agree. I've seen matches and training sessions at Brighton Rugby Club and the behaviour of the coaches, parents and players was far better than their football equivalents.

Mind you, we're still crap at rugby so maybe it doesn't make a difference! :D

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I agree. I've seen matches and training sessions at Brighton Rugby Club and the behaviour of the coaches, parents and players was far better than their football equivalents.

Mind you, we're still crap at rugby so maybe it doesn't make a difference! :D

Brighton is not a good example at the age-group my son plays ................... the set-up is impressive though.

One of the problems is logistics though - there are two Clubs with youth set-ups in Brighton and Hove that I know of - that is a maximum of 40-60 lads per age-group. The figures playing football must be massive in comparison.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I am all for this and at grass roots level as it really is quite deplorable the level of ill discipline at U8 level upwards often egged on by "I want it all" parents with delusions that their son will be signed up by MUFC next week.

To say I am glad I finish managing my team after this year is an understatement as Youth Football is getting out of hand now and the majority of managers should know better as well.

Beach, who were you manager with?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I expect he's on his way to B'muff now - but AFC Flyers or something I think?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here