Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only 2000 tickets left for sale at The Amex

Wonder what proportion of ST holders will only go to the opening game of season? If a simple ticket exchange facility isn't in operation, I fear there will be quite a lot of empty seats next season, despite games being officially 'sold out'.

So the theory is that there are up to 8,000 JCLs willing to fork out hundreds of pounds just to be at the opening match? Hmmm.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So the theory is that there are up to 8,000 JCLs willing to fork out hundreds of pounds just to be at the opening match? Hmmm.

Very few would do that. The reality is that a lot of fans, including very longstanding fans, have had to think seriously about buying a season ticket which they don't really want and may not be able to use all the time just to get in at all next season. They feel the season tickets could well sell out, are not confident of picking up 8-10 matches a season out of 900 matchday sales, and so are splashing out and hoping to recoup some cost by offloading to family and friends, a tactic basically approved by the club in presentations until the photo ID comes in. They don't want to miss out altogether - and why should they in such a momentous season, after 10/20/30 years of regular support, but just maybe not buying season tickets every season.

I am not going to be too critical of the club, but their policy of only keeping back a minimum 900 for day sales has in my view made empty season-ticket seats more likely, I know I might not have bought one with 2,500 guaranteed for day-sale.

I am in this position, and my two family area seats will be empty IF I can't go and I can't pass the cards on to someone I know and trust. I'll give it a try for one season, see how it goes. Like anyone, if I'm not getting value and haven't found others to pick up the slack, I won't renew.

Alternatively the club brings in a system where I can release my seats back to them, they resell them at the higher-than-pro-rata single matchday price (which they easily would in a sold-out family section), I pay them a decent commission (say £5-10) and get £15-£20 a match back myself. That would make the ST decision a lot easier, and I think make money for the club in high-demand areas of the ground, certainly Family and WSU.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Very few would do that. The reality is that a lot of fans, including very longstanding fans, have had to think seriously about buying a season ticket which they don't really want and may not be able to use all the time just to get in at all next season. They feel the season tickets could well sell out, are not confident of picking up 8-10 matches a season out of 900 matchday sales, and so are splashing out and hoping to recoup some cost by offloading to family and friends, a tactic basically approved by the club in presentations until the photo ID comes in. They don't want to miss out altogether - and why should they in such a momentous season, after 10/20/30 years of regular support, but just maybe not buying season tickets every season.

I am not going to be too critical of the club, but their policy of only keeping back a minimum 900 for day sales has in my view made empty season-ticket seats more likely, I know I might not have bought one with 2,500 guaranteed for day-sale.

I am in this position, and my two family area seats will be empty IF I can't go and I can't pass the cards on to someone I know and trust. I'll give it a try for one season, see how it goes. Like anyone, if I'm not getting value and haven't found others to pick up the slack, I won't renew.

Alternatively the club brings in a system where I can release my seats back to them, they resell them at the higher-than-pro-rata single matchday price (which they easily would in a sold-out family section), I pay them a decent commission (say £5-10) and get £15-£20 a match back myself. That would make the ST decision a lot easier, and I think make money for the club in high-demand areas of the ground, certainly Family and WSU.

This, entirely.

I've had a ST for the entire time we've been at Withdean, so it was an easy decision to renew. But I know I won't be able to make every game, because of work / family / kids / health commitments etc. So my seat will be empty from time to time unless I can shift it.

People who've bought STs for Falmer and who live in far-flung places like Newcastle, Liverpool and abroad will probably miss a lot of games, so it's got to be in the club's interest to sort out a buy-back-resell system soon, and do it properly.

Fair enough. I assume the club will bring in some sort of exchange system. Wouldn't even expect them to charge as much as £10, since when they sell away tickets they only charge £2.

Actually, having thought about it for a bit I'm in not too dissimilar a position. Although not a season ticket holder before this season, I was always going to get one for the first season at Falmer and a mixture of personal circumstance (particularly more free Saturdays) and the wish to guarantee a ticket meant I got one this season too.

However I might not always have the time (or money) in subsequent years but if demand continues to be high then I will be reluctant to give up my seat for what could be high demand for match day tickets and a waiting list for season tickets in the future. So in fact I concur with these sentiments!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Absolutely correct in my view. In many ways, the hard work for the ticket office will start nextseason, when they will need to encourage a high % of renewals while ensuring they successfully reach out to potential new STHs with any seats going spare.

As for this season, I'm 100% confident that the club has realised that the massive % of tickets sold will be to season ticket holders and that this presents a real issue and that the key to making sure people consider a ST worth having is to facilitate a working ticket exchange.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
As for this season, I'm 100% confident that the club has realised that the massive % of tickets sold will be to season ticket holders and that this presents a real issue and that the key to making sure people consider a ST worth having is to facilitate a working ticket exchange.

Simster - you should contact the club with your suggestions.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Loads of good points here.

The reality is that a lot of fans, including very longstanding fans, have had to think seriously about buying a season ticket which they don't really want and may not be able to use all the time just to get in at all next season. They feel the season tickets could well sell out, are not confident of picking up 8-10 matches a season out of 900 matchday sales, and so are splashing out and hoping to recoup some cost by offloading to family and friends, a tactic basically approved by the club in presentations until the photo ID comes in. They don't want to miss out altogether - and why should they in such a momentous season, after 10/20/30 years of regular support, but just maybe not buying season tickets every season.

*rubs chin..* yep, that's me (can't commit to season tix, worried about getting a 'day' ticket)

:bigwave:
I see a need for a London based ticket exchange..!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
went into my local club midday for aquick pint,there was 18 adults going upto falmer today to get ST,
none of them are brighton fans,they just want to watch decent football,how many empty seats will there be if we start losing

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
If people who got s/t on the s/t + 3 don't renew next season those Albion fans who had to get seats in the further back areas, will beable to renew to a better seat.Unless we storm the league.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
went into my local club midday for aquick pint,there was 18 adults going upto falmer today to get ST,
none of them are brighton fans,they just want to watch decent football,how many empty seats will there be if we start losing

Er, if they're not Brighton fans, why would they care which team wins?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
good point,there words were,we shall just go to the 10/12 big games,most are premiership supporting fans

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

Yup, there were even people on the Southend (I think) message board the other week, talking about how they were going to get Albion STs because it was local to where they actually lived and they couldn't get to Southend regularly :facepalm:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On the other hand, plenty of the new STHs will be people who used to be regulars in the 1980s & early 1990s (when football was at its lowest ebb) and who have been enthused by the realisation that the county will finally have a club and stadium worthy of their attention, and who will become regulars because regardless of the result, the Albion will become "their" team again.

Reading used to get crowds of 4,000 at Elm Park- they still regularly get 15,000 now, many more if they're successful. People get used to going regularly to the game. There will be some spare seats, but we will have a whole generation of new fans who will stick with it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Exactly, of the 18 that empire mentions hopefully a dozen will realise that proper football is not watched at 4pm on a Sunday in front of the tv or in the pub and they will get the bug and those big games could be 15-18+ a season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here