Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Reason it's gone wrong.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
As much as Gus has achieved and should be given time he is the sole architect of our dramatic poor form. We have signed far far too many players in midfield to have anything nearing a settled side. I dread to think what it has done to team Spirit.

When we were looking the real deal in spells over the last two seasons we had a pretty consistent starting side (usually because of injuries!) with maybe one change per game, now we have a constantly changing midfield with confidence players like Kaz not even making the bench. Then add quality new players barely getting a decent run to get any form before getting shipped back to the sidelines. They must be wondering what on earth they have joined us for.

Then let's not even get started on the players that have been completely discarded to the dustbin. No wonder players are struggling to relax and express themselves.

The Hammond signing in particular is looking like shocking business as the Poyet ego is making him undroppable despite poor form.

I posted this list in a previous thread but it really does highlight the point.

Dicker
Vincelot
Sparrow
Buckley
Lua
Bridcutt
Vicente
Lopez
Orlandi
Harley
Crofts
Hammond
Dobbie

With the exception of Harley all good players at this level if not better. I don't think Gus has a clue what his best midfield line up is to be honest. Just as well Vicente is out to be honest.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
As much as Gus has achieved and should be given time he is the sole architect of our dramatic poor form. We have signed far far too many players in midfield to have anything nearing a settled side. I dread to think what it has done to team Spirit.

When we were looking the real deal in spells over the last two seasons we had a pretty consistent starting side (usually because of injuries!) with maybe one change per game, now we have a constantly changing midfield with confidence players like Kaz not even making the bench. Then add quality new players barely getting a decent run to get any form before getting shipped back to the sidelines. They must be wondering what on earth they have joined us for.

Then let's not even get started on the players that have been completely discarded to the dustbin. No wonder players are struggling to relax and express themselves.

The Hammond signing in particular is looking like shocking business as the Poyet ego is making him undroppable despite poor form.

Dicker
Vincelot
Sparrow
Buckley
Lua
Bridcutt
Vicente
Lopez
Orlandi
Harley
Crofts
Hammond
Dobbie

With the exception of Harley all good players at this level if not better. I don't think Gus has a clue what his best midfield line up is to be honest. Just as well Vicente is out to be honest.

Having so many players must make it hard to pick the starting 11 and muddle the mind. Also as stated there are alot of players wondering if they will ever get game.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Dicker
Vincelot
Sparrow
Buckley
Lua
Bridcutt
Vicente
Lopez
Orlandi
Harley
Crofts
Hammond
Dobbie

As you say yourself, Harley never got a chance to get into some good form. As much as I love football and Brighton, I could never be a professional footballer (forgetting the lack of talent) I would hate the abuse that practically every player gets. Are there ANY players in the squad who are free from criticism and a hate-campaign of some sort?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
- So our drop in form had nothing to do with CMS getting injured and missing several games then? even though they coincided?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Dicker
Vincelot
Sparrow
Buckley
Lua
Bridcutt
Vicente
Lopez
Orlandi
Harley
Crofts
Hammond
Dobbie

It is fair enough to say we have brought in a lot of players and that can cause a little disruption, but bare in mind that your list of our midfielders covers 6 positions (incl Bridcutt), not just 3 or 4. And you can take out Vincelot, Sparrow and Vicente, and add Barnes. If you are taking about our actual midfield then at the moment we have a fairly settled system, Bridcutt behind a three rotating between Crofts, Hammond, Dicker and Orlandi.

As for "confidence players" and "new quality players", we don't want to play a player to save his feelings, or because we all agree he is "quality". As far as I am concerned you bring in the best players available, and as professionals at a professional club, they earn their place in the team on the training ground.

Everything seems to be being done as I would expect at a professional club and from what you hear from the players they think so too, many of them having played at the highest level. So I think your concerns are unfounded, although we need to gel more consistently, and as always with a new bunch of lads, they will need some time. And even while results are not perfect, I am far from displeased with the football I have seen so far this season.

Some of our fans need to get with the program, our football and the development of the club overall have been exercises in patience, and I would think that we, of all football supporters, would have learned by now that with patience comes reward.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Odd timing considering the Leeds game was one of our best performances this season and a win tomorrow would see us definitely back up and running.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think the Leeds game was the best example yet of the type of football the Gus is trying to get the team to play. I would agree that there has been some experimentation on the way and that some of the players listed in threads above have not, despite being capable of playing at Championship level, fitted in to the Gus football philosophy. I think Fridays game was a real demonstration of progress though but, as Gus pretty much recognised in his after-match comments, we still need a competent, confident centre forward to help CMS finish things off (and score penalties). As others have said we need to be patient - we're on a journey and when we get there I reckon the results could be spectacular.

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
Odd timing considering the Leeds game was one of our best performances this season and a win tomorrow would see us definitely back up and running.

This and half that list are not good enough for promotion chasing team, not just Harley.

Cheer up mate (op)! It's fine margins this year, there's only been the goal, a deflected shot or a missed pen in it recently.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This and half that list are not good enough for promotion chasing team, not just Harley.

Cheer up mate (op)! It's fine margins this year, there's only been the goal, a deflected shot or a missed pen in it recently.

He's not the one that needs to cheer up. It's the OP and half the others on here.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
It is fair enough to say we have brought in a lot of players and that can cause a little disruption, but bare in mind that your list of our midfielders covers 6 positions (incl Bridcutt), not just 3 or 4. And you can take out Vincelot, Sparrow and Vicente, and add Barnes. If you are taking about our actual midfield then at the moment we have a fairly settled system, Bridcutt behind a three rotating between Crofts, Hammond, Dicker and Orlandi.

As for "confidence players" and "new quality players", we don't want to play a player to save his feelings, or because we all agree he is "quality". As far as I am concerned you bring in the best players available, and as professionals at a professional club, they earn their place in the team on the training ground.

Everything seems to be being done as I would expect at a professional club and from what you hear from the players they think so too, many of them having played at the highest level. So I think your concerns are unfounded, although we need to gel more consistently, and as always with a new bunch of lads, they will need some time. And even while results are not perfect, I am far from displeased with the football I have seen so far this season.

Some of our fans need to get with the program, our football and the development of the club overall have been exercises in patience, and I would think that we, of all football supporters, would have learned by now that with patience comes reward.

FAR too sensible a post to be on NSC. Entirely agree.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Dicker
Vincelot
Sparrow
Buckley
Lua
Bridcutt
Vicente
Lopez
Orlandi
Harley
Crofts
Hammond
Dobbie

Been saying this for ages and just get slated for it...and I didn't realise Poyet had achived so much, did I miss something???..I remember the one league one title and dropping like a brick in water last season, when push came to shove. Also like you say the dozens of signings....Much improved performance in front of the tv cameras, but tomorrow night is when it need to continue, nothing short of three points tomorrow will do.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The main problem is that we have all these ' midfielders ' and none of them can hit a barn-door at three paces. The sitters that some of these players have missed this season have cost us a place in the top six. Hammond at Derby and Orlandi on Friday night, just for starters. There's four points down the swanee without thinking too hard about it.
The top six last season averaged 76 goals. ( But Cardiff finished 6th with 66 ) So on that basis....i.e 65-70 goals needed. ( BHA got 52 last season )
1) CMS, Barnes, Dobbie, Buckley and Lua Lua......have to get min 35 between them.
2) Midfield has to get.....min 20.
3) Defence.....min 10.
Where the bloody hell are we going to get 20 odd goals from midfield?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The above is true. Our midfield is goal shy. Hammond used to chip in didn't he ?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The main problem is that we have all these ' midfielders ' and none of them can hit a barn-door at three paces. The sitters that some of these players have missed this season have cost us a place in the top six. Hammond at Derby and Orlandi on Friday night, just for starters. There's four points down the swanee without thinking too hard about it.
The top six last season averaged 76 goals. ( But Cardiff finished 6th with 66 ) So on that basis....i.e 65-70 goals needed. ( BHA got 52 last season )
1) CMS, Barnes, Dobbie, Buckley and Lua Lua......have to get min 35 between them.
2) Midfield has to get.....min 20.
3) Defence.....min 10.
Where the bloody hell are we going to get 20 odd goals from midfield?

That obviously depends how many are conceded at the other end, Reading won the league and only scored 69. Our defence is looking pretty mean so we could get away with being at the bottom end of that range, but the point is valid.

Lots of people are saying we need a target man or another striker, but the point is our midfield are not contributing on the goals front at the moment. At this point last season Noone had a couple, Buckley a couple, Vicente had scored and even Harley had 2 goals. If you put Buckley & Barnes in the 'attack' bracket, our midfield hasn't contributed a single goal so far.

Thank god for CMS!!

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
10th in the Championship and 3 points off the play offs. Sorry where did it go wrong? Almost every team will have a dip in form. Don't panic!

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Strange though. The chase to bring Kaz here permanently was long and determined. Since he signed it seems he's hardly had a game. Having said that after watching the Leeds game on TV I thought we were superb and I'm now confident of finishing close up at the end of the season

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Some of my friends were watching the match on Sky on Friday. Some know a lot about
footie and some just a bit. None of them support Brighton.

(Aberdeen, Harrow and Wealdstone
and West Ham supporters.)

They were all saying how great our passing was and how well we played. For the
neutral - the match was superb. At least my friends enjoyed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here