Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Reason it's gone wrong.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Been saying this for ages and just get slated for it...and I didn't realise Poyet had achived so much, did I miss something???..I remember the one league one title and dropping like a brick in water last season, when push came to shove. Also like you say the dozens of signings....Much improved performance in front of the tv cameras, but tomorrow night is when it need to continue, nothing short of three points tomorrow will do.

Deservedly so.

Your cycloptic prejudices are very grating.

I saw a team finish 10th last season, in line with expectations. If yours are/were much higher, then they're unrealistic - and that's your problem, not Gus' nor anyone else's.

You must be royally pissed off that we didn't lose against Blackpool or Leeds.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Odd timing considering the Leeds game was one of our best performances this season and a win tomorrow would see us definitely back up and running.

Friday was a refreshing return to form, and a departure from a more cautious approach. I was gutted we didn't win the game given the dominance and chances we had, but very much looking forward to tomorrow night. I thought the midfield functioned as well as a unit as it's done all season, a good balance struck with Orlandi starting, who I don't mind admitting I was really really impressed with. If he can get properly match fit and stay injury free, I think he could be a revelation for us.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Odd timing considering the Leeds game was one of our best performances this season and a win tomorrow would see us definitely back up and running.

I must admit to thinking the timing was odd myself.

However, whilst the display was highly entertaining (for a bloody change!), it did highlight our inability to defend properly in an open game, and our ineptitude in finishing. Even our record signing, top scorer cannot score twice from 12 yards.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
We did play better Friday. We still didn't win. Will Gus play the same midfield? will he play his best midfield? Does he know his best midfield? For me the answer to all these is probably no.

For me Hammond must be dropped for the far superior Crofts and Dobbie should come in for Barnes. My original point Is that unless players are given a chance to bed in and get some form and get used to playing together we are never going to see the best of this squad. One game or 10 minute sub cameos before going back to the bench are not going to give us the consistency we need.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I think our poor run came to an end on Friday, despite the fact that we didn't win. Mackail-Smith was red hot. We should win tomorrow. Despite our poor run we still have not lost that many games and are still very much in the picture. If we can string together another run of wins things will look very, very different.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Deservedly so.

Your cycloptic prejudices are very grating.

I saw a team finish 10th last season, in line with expectations. If yours are/were much higher, then they're unrealistic - and that's your problem, not Gus' nor anyone else's.

You must be royally pissed off that we didn't lose against Blackpool or Leeds.

I thought you would pipe up after a draw,where we lost the lead twice.Where you been the last three or four weeks crying into your Poyet boxers.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I thought you would pipe up after a draw,where we lost the lead twice.Where you been the last three or four weeks crying into your Poyet boxers.

You're crazy!!

Yes, We lost the lead twice. Due to;
1. A debatable penalty decision
2. A deflected shot

How on earth is that down to Poyet?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Reading this thread, I am interested to know two things:

What is your expectation for this season, position wise?

What is Gus' expectation for this season, position wise?

I would hazard a guess that there is a discord between Gus' requirements, ie do not lose games of football and stay in this division and most supporters view of promotion, either automatically or through the playoff system.

I think with his over emphasis on midfield players, he thinks that the best way to do that is to pack midfield out and rely on breakaways, both home and away..hence the idea of just playing CMS on his own.

The Leeds game showed that when we resort to giving it a go and playing quickly through midfield and getting the ball forward at pace, we are a decent team, however we have seen in teh last few home games, that for all the huff and puff we still let in stupid goals. maybe that is Gus' dilema!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We did play better Friday. We still didn't win. Will Gus play the same midfield? will he play his best midfield? Does he know his best midfield? For me the answer to all these is probably no.

For me Hammond must be dropped for the far superior Crofts and Dobbie should come in for Barnes. My original point Is that unless players are given a chance to bed in and get some form and get used to playing together we are never going to see the best of this squad. One game or 10 minute sub cameos before going back to the bench are not going to give us the consistency we need.

I think he is getting closer to knowing his best midfield. Trouble is, he cannot play them cos Bridcutt is suspended. Hammond will probably fill that role and Crofts will come in. Other than that, I wouldn't expect any changes unless enforced. I doubt that he will drop Barnes for Dobbie until Barnes is either suspended, injured or plays a howler.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Been saying this for ages and just get slated for it...and I didn't realise Poyet had achived so much, did I miss something???..I remember the one league one title and dropping like a brick in water last season, when push came to shove. Also like you say the dozens of signings....Much improved performance in front of the tv cameras, but tomorrow night is when it need to continue, nothing short of three points tomorrow will do.

Getting 'slated' or basically disagreeing with your opinion? However you are totally correct in saying nothing short of three points tomorrow will do

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Friday was a refreshing return to form, and a departure from a more cautious approach. I was gutted we didn't win the game given the dominance and chances we had, but very much looking forward to tomorrow night. I thought the midfield functioned as well as a unit as it's done all season, a good balance struck with Orlandi starting, who I don't mind admitting I was really really impressed with. If he can get properly match fit and stay injury free, I think he could be a revelation for us.

This is the key. We've had a lot of injuries which affects the team selection, whether we like it or not. El Abd is doubtful for tomorrow and yes, I know he's a defender before someone jumps on this statement.

D

Deleted member 22389

Peterborough is the perfect opportunity to play Dobbie in Barnes role for the whole match and see what happens.

Anything CMS does not get, Dobbie will and vice versa. I don't think any team would really want to come across those two on the pitch at the same time. Hopefully that are concentrating so much on CMS, that will Dobbie in.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
At the moment it is just a blip. If we get back to winning our home games, the blip will be over. In 78-79 promotion season we had a blip as well. It took over a month before our away form got back to promotion form and the next few home games (after losing 0-2 at home to Wrexham) we won only by a single goal.

The away teams became more defensive and the defences are quite organised at this level.

Still, our work rate at Leeds was above average and I am not sure we can keep that level up for every game ??? I have not seen signs of a Dobbie work rate at this level.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It really hasn't gone that "wrong" though has it? We did well earlier in the season when we were playing some of the lesser teams and have found it harder against some of the better ones. Thought we were gash at Blackpool but then reminded myself that actually we didn't lose against a side that was in the Premier League the season before last and is usually there or thereabouts.

What really makes me laugh is people criticising our defending and the current trend (or so it seemed on Friday) for moaning about Gordon Greer. We have the best defensive record in the league FFS...

When Crofts had his snap shot saved at the end the other night, the bloke behind me (who is a twat - running commentary of negative utter shite at every game) was straight in with "that was crap. He put it too close to him" rather than giving any merit to a very good save. Agreed, it wasn't right in the corner and travelling at 120mph but then Andrew Crofts is not Lionel bloody Messi. I swear that if we win 5-0 tomorrow, some people would complain that the ball didn't hit the back of the net fast enough.

The bottom line is that if we play like we did on Friday, we'll win plenty of games and the matches will be well worth watching. Personally, I'm just happy to see where that takes us. Gus has done a great job overall - it's not all going to be plain sailing.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Peterborough is the perfect opportunity to play Dobbie in Barnes role for the whole match and see what happens.

Anything CMS does not get, Dobbie will and vice versa. I don't think any team would really want to come across those two on the pitch at the same time. Hopefully that are concentrating so much on CMS, that will Dobbie in.

But really Dobbie needs to play in Orlandi's role... which Orlandi was a bit too good at be dropped. Obviously, he could move out wide instead of Barnes.. but then suddenly we're a lot lighter on that wing defensively and lacking height overall so the balance of the team is different. Every decision has a knock-on effect.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
And Crofts must Score

When Crofts had his snap shot saved at the end the other night, the bloke behind me (who is a twat - running commentary of negative utter shite at every game) was straight in with "that was crap. He put it too close to him" rather than giving any merit to a very good save. Agreed, it wasn't right in the corner and travelling at 120mph but then Andrew Crofts is not Lionel bloody Messi. I swear that if we win 5-0 tomorrow, some people would complain that the ball didn't hit the back of the net fast enough.

The bottom line is that if we play like we did on Friday, we'll win plenty of games and the matches will be well worth watching. Personally, I'm just happy to see where that takes us. Gus has done a great job overall - it's not all going to be plain sailing.

That is the difference. If you wondered how Sparrow would have done instead, he hit the bar (slight curl on the ball) in the last minute for the reserves with a similar chance. I wondered then if he just was not clinical enough. Winners score these goals.

At Hereford away in that memorable match, Craig Maskell had a chance and he curled it away from the keeper and it hit the post for Reinhelt to score. A bit more technique in front of goal is called for ???

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
My ONLY concern for Peterboro is that the Leeds result does not mean that the team (and arguably Poyets selection) reverts back to the slow, defensive mindset that has held us back prior to that game.

Play Orlandi and DROP Barnes to the bench for Dobbie.

Goals goals GOALS

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Excellent post. Obviously CMS injury was a big blow but Crofts was too, as it was at that point that our settled MF started to be constantly rotated.

Gus now doesn't seem to now his best midfield and the constant rotation is not allowing any of them to get momentum or form. We need a settled MF and we need it fast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here