Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"One Johnny Prescott, there's only one Johnny Prescott..."

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Hello Seagulls!

Really looking forward to seeing the finished stadium. Last time I was there was back in April. Loved your John Prescott Fan Club (Provisional) banner.

I was enormously impressed by your campaign. It seems wherever I went - even abroad - there was an Albion fan lobbying me for Falmer. It was always good natured but I could tell how much the club meant to you.

Anyway, I wonder if you can help one of my campaigns. I think the pasty tax is wrong so I'm holding a Brighton Pasty Party to protest against 20% going on freshly baked savouries and see if we can get it overturned before it comes into effect in October. We should be taxing bankers not bakers and I know how much you love your pies and a pint!

So if you can, pop down to meet me at Greggs on 150 North Street at 10.45 tomorrow morning. I'll be giving away 100 pasties and sausage rolls to show our support for High Street bakers. To get your free pasty, just turn up in an Albion shirt or scarf. I'll then be off to the ground at 11.45am to look around the Amex.

Look forward to meeting you. Might even pop in for a pint afterwards.

Seagulls!

JP

Welcome Lord Prescott!! Forever an Albion Legend in my eyes. You've definitely it a fan club down here! Can't be there, but sure you'll have a great day!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thread just turned Gold :lolol:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Anyone else prepared for an Argus "exclusive"?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm amazed there are no spelling mistakes in that JP post. I thought he always chucked in a deliberate mistake just for laughs (oh and to delay the process of granting stadium planning by a year!!!)

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Interesting.

I'm sure I've read a letter where Prescott gave his APPROVAL...

The fact it was over-turned on an irritatingly minor technicality is another issue; point is, he DID approve it.

You did indeed Al, but he had to withdraw that as he didn't approve the application that we sent in. His letter approved an application that included land that wasn't even mentioned in the application and for which we weren't even seeking permission to develop. And tomorrow we will have to upgrade the John Prescott Fan Club (provisional) to the John Prescott fan Club (official)

Delay for Brighton stadium plan
Brighton's bid to build a new stadium is in doubt after it was revealed Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott made a mistake in his approval letter.
On Thursday, Prescott's office quashed last October's 'Yes' verdict on a stadium at Falmer after realising an error was made describing the site. The Treasury Solicitor has drafted a consent order to be agreed with the club, Brighton City Council and Lewes.

The matter will be referred to Prescott for him to make the decision again.

The mistake was only a technicality, but it forced the Treasury Solicitor to 'Submit to Judgement' of the High Court after a challenge lodged by Lewes District Council.

We do not expect this latest development to affect our revised move-in date of August 2009
Brighton chief executive Martin Perry
A Brighton statement said: "The decision letter refers to the site being within the "built-up area" of Brighton & Hove.

"But only part of the site is in the "built-up area" of Brighton & Hove. Part is outside the "built-up area" and part of the site is in Lewes."

The Office of the Deputy Prime Minister say they will retake the decision in the near future.

"This does not mean the original decision was wrong. We have conceded because of a technical error, not because of the substance of the decision.

"The Secretary of State does not concede on any of the other grounds of challenge that Lewes District Council have made."

Albion chief executive Martin Perry has moved to reassure Seagulls fans that the latest development should not affect the timescale of the project.

Brighton are still hoping to move in to their new ground in time for the start of the 2009/10 season.

"We do not expect this latest development to affect our revised move-in date of August 2009," said Perry.

"In fact the club is pleased that the Treasury Solicitor has taken this route.

"While it will give a Pyrrhic victory to Lewes, this is the most sensible and quickest route out of the mess Lewes have created.

"It is only a minor technicality and was not a determining factor in the decision.

"This is a frustrating delay but has not stopped us. The design team are fully committed to the project and are actively working on it in readiness for a site start next year."

Story from BBC SPORT Published: 2006/04/07 11:12:30 GMT

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Whatever the political ins and outs and the who said whats, Prezza became an Albion fan during the planning process and spoke openly about the effectiveness of our campaigning. We won over a friend and he's continued to have a soft spot for us - that makes him a very welcome visitor and worthy of a very warm reception. There were many heroes in the battle for Falmer, many people without whom it would never have happened and JP played his part. I'd buy him a pie and a pint to say thanks for what he did.

This!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The error was that he stated that the application was in 'a built-up area of Brighton & Hove', when in fact some of it was in Lewes and some was outside the built-up area. That was the advice he was given, and that is what he acted upon.

He didn't make reference to areas not in the application.

In good faith, he approved the application, and gave it the almighty political boost the project needed.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The away stand at Withers was in Worthing, nobody in Worthing complained about it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"He's big
He's Red
He'll punch you in the head
Johnny P
Johnny P"

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Hello Seagulls!

Really looking forward to seeing the finished stadium. Last time I was there was back in April. Loved your John Prescott Fan Club (Provisional) banner.

I was enormously impressed by your campaign. It seems wherever I went - even abroad - there was an Albion fan lobbying me for Falmer. It was always good natured but I could tell how much the club meant to you.

Anyway, I wonder if you can help one of my campaigns. I think the pasty tax is wrong so I'm holding a Brighton Pasty Party to protest against 20% going on freshly baked savouries and see if we can get it overturned before it comes into effect in October. We should be taxing bankers not bakers and I know how much you love your pies and a pint!

So if you can, pop down to meet me at Greggs on 150 North Street at 10.45 tomorrow morning. I'll be giving away 100 pasties and sausage rolls to show our support for High Street bakers. To get your free pasty, just turn up in an Albion shirt or scarf. I'll then be off to the ground at 11.45am to look around the Amex.

Look forward to meeting you. Might even pop in for a pint afterwards.

Seagulls!

JP

He eats what he wants, he eats what he waaaannnnnntttsss, he's Johnny Prescott, he eats what he wants.

Don't agree with a lot of your politics John but well f@[MENTION=23572]king[/MENTION] chuffed you gave us the green light. Enjoy your day tommorow :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here