Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One hit wonders you loved (but maybe shouldn`t have )

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
kicks like a Mule - The Bouncer
Steve 'Silk' Hurley - Jack your body
Charlene - I've never been to me
Marrs - pump up the volume
Brighton & Hove Albion FC - The boys in the old Brighton blue
Seagulls Ska - Tom hark

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oi, Ackers!
Where's Kung Fu Fighting in that list?

"Douglas did release two other singles ("Blue Eyed Soul" and "Dance The Kung Fu", which was sampled by DJ Premier in his 2007 remix of Nike's 25th Air Force One anniversary single "Classic (Better Than I've Ever Been)", featuring Kanye West, Nas, KRS-One and Rakim )" - Carl Douglas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins.
Radar Love by Golden Earing.
Mouldy Old Dough by Lieutenant Pidgeon.
What if God was One of Us by Joan Osbourne.
'Urry up 'Arry by Sham 69.
Little Lionman by Mumford and Sons.
Mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm by The Crash Test Dummies.
Something in the Air by Thunderclap Newman.
Babe what would you say by some bloke with lots of hair! can't remember his name.
Bobby Goldsboro had another hit with 'Summertime'.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Suprised none of the 'oldies' have mentioned this classic:

[yt]b9XyhFQeob0[/yt]

It's a bit of an oxymoron to suggest you "shouldn't have liked" a record... belongs to guilty secrets perhaps - but a good tune is a good tune!

Silver Machine - Hawkwind
Nowhere Girl - B-Movie
..and just about EVERY ska reggae track from 1969 to 1971 (i.e Liquidator, Elizabethan Reggae, Young Gifted and Black etc)
Band of Gold - Freda Payne
There was a certain little combo who produced TWO one-hit wonders - because the hits were in 1967 and then 1980
This was their first;

[yt]wH3pqYwDBdQ[/yt]

Then another unknown bunch of chancers took a sudden turn for the worst with their first 'proper' single and as far as I can recall, their only chart hit. This doesn't qualify as a tune I loved though, because I thought it was crap and hated it. The sexual innuendo question was a play on the word 'Jamaica' because it was a rough attempt at reggae.
The drummer, highly rated as he may be, wasn't really capable of replicating the reggae beat properly so it doesn't have that ska shuffle beat at all.

[yt]DoF4Dsd1uRU[/yt]

Last edited:

One that got them a lot of notice, but they seemingly failed to follow up. It certainly has a mid-60's pop feel to it, and a druggy theme apparently;

[yt]WyYEBDpQjjk[/yt]

These absolutely should have been huge, but weren't;

[yt]aQfC7Ow5GHo[/yt]

[yt]F-s6QWSdd1E[/yt]

Not their actual hit 'Golden Brown', but I thought this worthy of more attention at the time
[yt]NRnmIV1hmT0[/yt]

Though they did get an actual hit with a 60's track 'Eloise', their own material never hit big - they really needed Cliff Richards' endorsement!
[yt]ThGK0siq_cI[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here