Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One hit wonders you loved (but maybe shouldn`t have )

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Which defines one hit wonders as a song that hit number one by an artist that had no other song to chart (i.e. if a follow up hit number 68 it charted so the artist is not a one hit wonder) in the UK chart (which goes up to 200, apparently).

that definition just goes to show how wikipedia can be a pile of crap. why does it have to be a number 1 to count as a hit? traditionally a hit was something that got into the top 40 as i recall, this being the chart that was widely published by radio and music shops. the page ignores the Guinness books' definition and the one hit wonder definition it links to.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hang my head in shame, Happy talk by Captian sensible, Now ive mentioned it I am at the moment singing it to myself at work!!!

He had another hit with 'Glad It's All Over'. Not bad as it happens.

Did Hanson do anything after MMMBop? I still like that song and it's naff as hell. My favourite 70s one hit wonder was Charlie Rich 'If You Happen To See The Most Beautiful Girl In the World'. Now that is an appalling song - I knew that when I first heard it when I was v little and still I find myself humming along to it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
that definition just goes to show how wikipedia can be a pile of crap. why does it have to be a number 1 to count as a hit? traditionally a hit was something that got into the top 40 as i recall, this being the chart that was widely published by radio and music shops. the page ignores the Guinness books' definition and the one hit wonder definition it links to.

Ooh, I misread it, I thought it was saying that guinness used that definition, it meant to click on the other link for the guinness definition.

It also seems to contradict itself, by citing the UK charts, which goes up to 200, then ignoring songas that charted in place 200-76, so even some on their list charted second songs.

I imagine it was more to do with keeping the list manageable and to avoid fights over whether a second song was a hit or not, rather than trying to change the world's view of one hit wonders. I may be wrong andf it could just be, as you say, wikipedia being a pile of crap.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Did Hanson do anything after MMMBop? I still like that song and it's naff as hell.

[yt]32nlxQOe3tw[/yt]
(used int he film The Borrowers

[yt]hK5obmgq6u0[/yt]

They then disappeared for a while and came back with

[yt]uDh9V02PUbk[/yt]

Yes, I like those songs. Not sure how successful they were or if I just noticed them because I liked them.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Aussie boys Sherbert

You can`t beat the seventies.

[yt]xUwgZkiIFo4[/yt]

Uninteresting fact about this, last year I was for the lead singer. He now runs a music agency and looks after Pink in the UK. He mentioned the band and was very pleased that I not only had heard of them but knew the song. Pink called me as well which was rather nice.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
[yt]Ftd6pHpp1wo[/yt] love to see a few thousand fans singing and dancing to this home and away hehehe

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Humble Pie - Natural born boogie
Lotus Eaters -first picture of you
Daisy Chainsaw -Love your money
Men without Hats - safety dance
Merton Parkas - you need wheels
Aphaville - big in Japan
Barracudas - summer fun

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here