Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One for the BHA posties amongst us

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
BBC News - US Postal Service to end Saturday letter delivery

The sooner we get on and do this, the happier I'll be.

I'm really beginning to resent working Saturdays,
I can remember the last time I delivered anything of value, it's all catalogues and mail sort items.
Then we have less then one days work in total on the following Monday and Tuesday.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'm all for it, one less day of having the postie walk across my bloody lawn!

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
As a part-timer who's only been on the job 2 years, I'd be seriously worried for my job if Royal Mail were to do this, what with a 5 day working week, there'll be no rest days to cover, so a lot less reserve/floating staff needed?

I think we'd all love to have Saturdays off, but personally I'd rather keep working Saturdays (and mad rush to my football matches after!) if it means I keep my job.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I only ever get bills so they can wait till Monday to be honest. Unless me birthday is on a Saturday then my postman can get his arse out of bed and deliver me cards.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As a part-timer who's only been on the job 2 years, I'd be seriously worried for my job if Royal Mail were to do this, what with a 5 day working week, there'll be no rest days to cover, so a lot less reserve/floating staff needed?

I think we'd all love to have Saturdays off, but personally I'd rather keep working Saturdays (and mad rush to my football matches after!) if it means I keep my job.
I am being very myopic with this, as I should still have a job, sorry about that.

Whether senior management admit or not, that is the way they's like to proceed, hence all the short term 25 (or less) hour contracts, over the past few years.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If it means I stop getting pizza menus & garden centre catalogues through the door then I'm all for it.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
if we did stop working saturdays it could mean I could watch away matches.
Most saturdays are 90% junk anyway, mailsort catalogues and bills .
Could easily do them on the monday

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
I am being very myopic with this, as I should still have a job, sorry about that.

Whether senior management admit or not, that is the way they's like to proceed, hence all the short term 25 (or less) hour contracts, over the past few years.

If I had a couple more years under my belt and a few more people below me in the seniority list, I'd probably be the same to be fair!

We will just have to wait and see I suppose!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Royal Mail loves part timers. All the full timers who retire won't be replaced.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Mar 10, 2006
if we did stop working saturdays it could mean I could watch away matches.
Most saturdays are 90% junk anyway, mailsort catalogues and bills .
Could easily do them on the monday

You forgot to mention that you meant Eastbourne Borough away matches:facepalm:
Won't happen all the time Royal Mail are tied into to the universal delivery contract (the licence they have which binds them to deliver to every house six days a week for the same price) and once they come out of that then many jobs will be lost.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Why should the rest of the world have to work on a Saturday and not the posties? Wouldn't it just increase the workload for the rest of the week anyway?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You forgot to mention that you meant Eastbourne Borough away matches:facepalm:
Won't happen all the time Royal Mail are tied into to the universal delivery contract (the licence they have which binds them to deliver to every house six days a week for the same price) and once they come out of that then many jobs will be lost.
I'd like to know when that clause, albeit a pretty major one, was written in.

It would mean job losses, but if our office is anything to go by, the amount of short term contracts we have those loses would be nothing like they would have been 5 years ago.

Also it may well be difficult for the Union.
They would be against it, but I'm not so sure how on board the membership would be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why should the rest of the world have to work on a Saturday and not the posties? Wouldn't it just increase the workload for the rest of the week anyway?
That's the point.
For years we have been told by management our work load is decreasing.

This has been open to debate, but recently there has been a noticeable shortfall in work.

Resulting in us doing, at the most, 5 days work over 6 days.

So we either have less staff covering a greater delivery distance.
Or less staff doing more work over 5 days instead of 6.

Mar 10, 2006
Presume it's been there since the year dot. That's the licence they hold at the mo but that may change when they get taken over. The job losses will be massive and nothing to do with float covers on days off but the fact that RM (or whatever it'll be called) will not be obliged to deliver to every house 6 days a week so in less profitable areas you may only get 1 or 2 deliveries a week through your door. Without doubt once it's taken over it will be much smaller company with a vastly reduced workforce, so as much as it's a pain it is better that RM hold onto the universal service licence.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
BBC News - US Postal Service to end Saturday letter delivery

The sooner we get on and do this, the happier I'll be.

I'm really beginning to resent working Saturdays,
I can remember the last time I delivered anything of value, it's all catalogues and mail sort items.
Then we have less then one days work in total on the following Monday and Tuesday.

I wonder how the 10,000's of other postman feel about ultimately having their income reduced due to being forced to work less hours ??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Presume it's been there since the year dot. That's the licence they hold at the mo but that may change when they get taken over. The job losses will be massive and nothing to do with float covers on days off but the fact that RM (or whatever it'll be called) will not be obliged to deliver to every house 6 days a week so in less profitable areas you may only get 1 or 2 deliveries a week through your door. Without doubt once it's taken over it will be much smaller company with a vastly reduced workforce, so as much as it's a pain it is better that RM hold onto the universal service licence.
Yeah all very true.

But the status quo can't remain, and of all the measures coming our way ditching Saturday's is the most palatable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder how the 10,000's of other postman feel about ultimately having their income reduced due to being forced to work less hours ??
We wouldn't be, although it would cut overtime.

We work a 5 day week on a 6 day rota.

So the day off cover won't be needed.

RM haven't employed a full time 39 hour member of staff for the best part of 7 years.
Over the last couple of years all new entrants have been on a 3 month rolling contract.

Doing this 10 years ago, it would have been impossible because of the cost of redundancies and early retirement.
(not to mention the work load was there to support the staff)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here