Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One for the BHA posties amongst us

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
We wouldn't be, although it would cut overtime.

We work a 5 day week on a 6 day rota.

So the day off cover won't be needed.

RM haven't employed a full time 39 hour member of staff for the best part of 7 years.
Over the last couple of years all new entrants have been on a 3 month rolling contract.

Doing this 10 years ago, it would have been impossible because of the cost of redundancies and early retirement.
(not to mention the work load was there to support the staff)

Fair enough !!

All changed since I left in 1989 !!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough !!

All changed since I left in 1989 !!
You wouldn't recognise the job.

Although a fair few attitudes will seem very familiar.

southasp

Jan 24, 2009
portslade
It appears that our postie has stopped working mornings.
1.00pm-2.00pm is now the norm for his daily amble down the path to deliver mine and usually somebody else's mail, which is then followed by his irritating short cut across the flower bed to reach next door.
I doubt that he is A season ticket holder as he would struggle to make a 3.00pm kick off, might just make evening games though I suppose.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
It won't happen as all the rival companies deliver Saturday. The American Postal service is nearly finished. Because of a good work force and a good Union Royal Mail is still thriving and holding up well against the likes of TNT and Deutsch Post and other tin pot companies who have people working for them who could have criminal records but are never checked. People should get behind the British Postal service as its the best Universal Post Service for quality and cheap posting in the world by miles. The day it gets privatised will be a very sad day for the British Public and they will moan about it for years like they do about the railways that should never have been privatised. Also the public can look forward to every letter in the Royal Mail system will be able to be traced by end of next year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It won't happen as all the rival companies deliver Saturday. The American Postal service is nearly finished. Because of a good work force and a good Union Royal Mail is still thriving and holding up well against the likes of TNT and Deutsch Post and other tin pot companies who have people working for them who could have criminal records but are never checked. People should get behind the British Postal service as its the best Universal Post Service for quality and cheap posting in the world by miles. The day it gets privatised will be a very sad day for the British Public and they will moan about it for years like they do about the railways that should never have been privatised. Also the public can look forward to every letter in the Royal Mail system will be able to be traced by end of next year.
Who deliver on Saturday?

USPS will still deliver packets, as I'd imagine RM would along with the fantastic Special Delivery service.

As much as I agree with pretty much the rest of it, it doesn't change the simple facts:-

- We have less work to do.
- Posting levels will never increase.
- We will be privatised in one form or another.

Mar 10, 2006
Who deliver on Saturday?

USPS will still deliver packets, as I'd imagine RM would along with the fantastic Special Delivery service.

As much as I agree with pretty much the rest of it, it doesn't change the simple facts:-

- We have less work to do.
- Posting levels will never increase.
- We will be privatised in one form or another.

Less work is probably due to just a slow down at this time of year - it will soon pick up again over next few weeks. Posting levels must be rising as even RM have recently said how much they've been taken by surprise at the amount of packets going through their system and online shopping will only increase. Yes privatisation is around the corner for RM as they have recently stated, especially as they need the money to invest in upgrading their IT to track more and more mail and the government can't afford to pay for it so they need outside investment.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This is the problem with modern management of companies in the uk. They tell you there's less work around, and you have no way of disputing it. There are no published figures, you just have to believe what they say. Now I would have thought that with the mega increase of online sales and the decrease in letters that the RM would modify and embrace this change. Instead it is using it as a focus to cut work, employ cheap labour and therefore cut wages. I've seen this all before too many times. If you Posties have any fight left, fight this all you can, unfortunately it seems you are swarmed by temps that would never take any IA and therefore your position is weakened from the off. I feel for you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Less work is probably due to just a slow down at this time of year - it will soon pick up again over next few weeks. Posting levels must be rising as even RM have recently said how much they've been taken by surprise at the amount of packets going through their system and online shopping will only increase. Yes privatisation is around the corner for RM as they have recently stated, especially as they need the money to invest in upgrading their IT to track more and more mail and the government can't afford to pay for it so they need outside investment.
I don't see why posting levels will pick up we are in the time period now that stays pretty stagnant through to the summer, when it really drops off, save for an end of March early April/Easter spike.

Yes packets, well lets face it Amazon, are our saviours along with the door to door contracts.

To me this is the first time I properly believe management saying 'figures are down'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now I would have thought that with the mega increase of online sales and the decrease in letters that the RM would modify and embrace this change. Instead it is using it as a focus to cut work, employ cheap labour and therefore cut wages. I've seen this all before too many times.
RM are, hence us doing deliveries from vans.
The problem is the quantity and weight of work that requires manual handling is currently decreasing, but we are still staffed to similar levels of 10 years ago, because it's deemed we have to go to every house every day.
The fact that we are not is creating issues, that no manager wants.

If you Posties have any fight left, fight this all you can, unfortunately it seems you are swarmed by temps that would never take any IA and therefore your position is weakened from the off. I feel for you.
The Union squandered a lot of good faith in their last dispute.
On the face of it we should all be behind the union against a 5 day week, but it's an attractive prospect.
That would make for interesting times.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
We wouldn't be, although it would cut overtime.

RM haven't employed a full time 39 hour member of staff for the best part of 7 years.
Over the last couple of years all new entrants have been on a 3 month rolling contract.

)
I was made up to fulltime after 8 years as a part timer a few months ago but I expect I am in the minority

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Nah. I worked for BT for 40 years. The first 10 of those we were the same company GPO. Posties were our enemy banter wise, especially at North Road canteen.

Why did the canteen "ladies" always dish out bigger portions to the posties ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was made up to fulltime after 8 years as a part timer a few months ago but I expect I am in the minority
I believe our office has been running a long way below the guidelines of full to part time staff.
Part of the reason for this thread, what actual effect would a 5 day week have on the rank and file posties?

Anyway, I believe we've had a couple of part timers made up to full time, but the Union had to fight for it, even though the stat's were clear as day.

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings

There were 2 guys at my office who were also made full time after about the same time on the job as you.
I was on a 3 month rolling contract until the completion of our office revision a few months back and got a permanent contract, still 25 hours though. Just happy to be employed at the moment!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just happy to be employed at the moment!
Sadly the level of entitlement (in my office, at least) means it will all go tits up in March when the new, or lack of new, pay deal is announced.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
If it means I stop getting pizza menus & garden centre catalogues through the door then I'm all for it.

You can opt out of receiving junk mail, either at the Post Office or online.

I think you have to renew the opt out once a year, otherwise you will start receiving take away menu's, Morrisons leaflets, plus everyones favourite, Charity clothing bags.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here