Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One decent performance all season....FACT! Are you happy with this?

Are you happy with our start?

• Yes - wilkins is gaining expiereince and im overall happy with things

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • No- overall its been poor and a frustrating season is ahead

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Not sure yet - Im going to give it time before making a major judgement

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • Im still not convinced by wilkins

Votes: 14 14.3%

• Total voters

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
some big games up head....think the club is in a good solid place right now and our squad is not far off being a vry good one.
Yesterday was dissapointing because not until the final 7 minutes did we play with the urgency or tempo required to beat such pony teams as Gillingham, the fact they were happy to take the point with ten minutes left leads me to believe that our back 4 had done a very good job.
I think that Revell will always give us that little bit more up front than certain others and i feel that he needs to play for more than 10 minutes to make an impact.....the fact that Elder continues to score in the reserves and is never on the team bus is the biggest mystery to me this season and only one man knows the answer to that question.....over to you deano !!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Important thing is to re-establish Fortress Withdean, build up the gate receipts, and grab what we can away from home. Seems to be working out OK so far, apart from the away form. Keeping Jakey in the side to provide service to the strikers from the wing would doubtless help. Pretty stupid leaving him out the starting line-up on Saturday IMHO. Why not just ATTACK? Worked just fine against Millwall, and Gillingham are a weaker side.

Good point about Jake. He's started each match that we have won and been dropped to the bench for the away games that we have lost. If Wilkins is learning lessons as he goes along, then let him learn that one.
Why change a winning team (unless you are forced with injuries)

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
So you 'don't disagree' with BoF's comment that Dean Wilkins 'is not the finished article but shows some promise' but earlier in the thread you say that he's 'not good enough and tactically inept' and 'I think he's a shit manager'

You need to make your mind up sonny. You sit there on your Island in the Atlantic and pontificate about how SHIT we are but can't even be consistent in your views!

At the end of the season you may be proved right but what's the point of spouting this bollocks when we've only played 6 games and are 6th in the table.

I just don't understand it.

He has a 33% win record and nearly took us down last season SONNY.....!

We have a non-league coaching set-up with a mixture of whitehawk,hastings and A youth team manager....so excuse me for being worried.

Our currant league position does not lie, but lets be honest we shouldnt really be there...

I have watched us consistantly for 15 years and last season was up there at times with some of the worst stuff and that is why the fans voted with their feet.

Good Luck to Dean & the boys but this thread will be dug up when wilkins 33% record drops to mid 20s and we are in the bottom 6.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
old son, your argument is weakened somewhat by the fact you live 2000 miles away and have not seen them this season don't you think, Hiney is there and is in a better position than you to comment, I am not Wilkins biggest fan but he is doing ok at the moment and the home games have given me hope we will do something this season but in reality mid table will do for the board and fans this season and then push on to get promoted to the Championship next season or the season after ready for Falmer, promotion this season is a season too soon in the plans

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
byf what is wrong with you? Have you actually got a mental problem because you seem to have some sort of pathalogical hatred of Wilkins. It's all very odd, I reckon you would even complain if we were top of the league.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
byf what is wrong with you? Have you actually got a mental problem because you seem to have some sort of pathalogical hatred of Wilkins. It's all very odd, I reckon you would even complain if we were top of the league.

I just think wilkins is a useless cun*!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

To be fair to "byf", it is a non-league set up. I often disagree with his posts, but someone who has not been able to go the games because of temporarily living away, will judge on the stats.The stats on their own, during Wilkins tenure are not impressive.
I hope he continues to post his opinions........if only we could get as much passion and interest from people who are only 2000 metres from Withdean (but don,t go) as someone who is 2000 miles away....

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Ok lets be honest we have ground out two wins at home that we didnt really deserve....and also produced One decent performance against Millwall...so really we are a very lucky team to have 9 points

Add to that the goal shy away record we have......that has produced nothing but dissapointment.

What do you guys think...is this ok?

We were really good at Crewe - should have won by at least 3 or 4 goals with a bit more luck on the day.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
To be fair to "byf", it is a non-league set up. I often disagree with his posts, but someone who has not been able to go the games because of temporarily living away, will judge on the stats.The stats on their own, during Wilkins tenure are not impressive.
I hope he continues to post his opinions........if only we could get as much passion and interest from people who are only 2000 metres from Withdean (but don,t go) as someone who is 2000 miles away....

Spot on.

I love the club just as much as everyone else......but am still concerend about the whole set-up......but I hope Im proved wrong...and deserve a massive slating if I am.

It's just as well that Dick Knight doesn't just hire and fire according to 'stats'.
Not even a Mourinho, Wenger or Ferguson would be able to make a sea change in our fortunes at the moment. Not, of course, unless they had loads of dosh to do it with.
These players, cultivated on modest funds, are playing honest football in the 1st division - and hopefully they can rise above the dross and lift the club's fortunes with their own.

Now, we have no-one left with 'enhanced value' to sell to the Leeds Spurs or Celtics of football - so it really is down to the present players to make a name for themselves and BHAFC.

Personally, I look at this as the real meat and gravy of the game, and a test of all concerned. We are not punching above our weight, we have potential to compete with the 1st Division at ground level and win points - and as much as we have the team, we also have the manager imo.

Yeovil should be a fairly tough match next weekend, and I can't help but look forward to it.

Come on Brighton!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005

I don't mind him voicing his opinion but look where we are in the league and he's calling Wilkins a useless ****. The venomous bile just strikes me as odd when someone is just 'voicing their opinion'.

Spot on.

I love the club just as much as everyone else......but am still concerend about the whole set-up......but I hope Im proved wrong...and deserve a massive slating if I am.

Look mate, no-one here is completely convinced by anyone. We don't have the divine right to be pushing for promotion every season, and especially not on such meagre funds as are available. Would you say that EVERY club's fans should call for the ousting of their manager if they don't stay in the playoff zone? Why should Brighton fans do that?

You are too far away to even know that The Albion are NOT playing boring shit football, or capitulating every match without effort away from home (or otherwise).
So - it begs the question "how do you come to the conclusion Wilkins isn't good enough"??

Do you recall that last season we had one of the TOP away records in the division?? Is that achieved by capitulating to every home side who felt that it was their turf?
No, it was done with the help of dogged and rugged good football, and great support.
Why did we have a poor home record? Fairly poor home support and atmosphere, some players injured, others in the twilight of their playing days, and, in my opinion, a frustrating goalkeeper who didn't communicate well with the rest of the team.

To take stock;
A decent rookie manager, honed and cultured AT BRIGHTON!!
Honest Chairman, with little funds and modest influence/contacts, who SAVED THE CLUB!!
Small ground, often controversially maintained amidst a 'tender' area of the City, NOT OURS BUT RENTED!!
Funds that were mostly allocated to other concerns than the playing staff, usually to the fight TO KEEP THE CLUB IN ANY EXISTENCE WHATSOEVER!!

Presently, we are 6th in the division, after running a few teams at their drum, and dominating even the matches we have lost.

Now - you were saying?

Last edited:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
We had a great away record last season, we have the best home record this season, then next season it will all come together ready for our promotion charge

Another goal scorer is needed, and a left back at left back, and we are good to go.

No need to be negative just yet, we are 6th, not 20th. we have a positive goal difference! STOP MOANING! :)

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Good point about Jake. He's started each match that we have won and been dropped to the bench for the away games that we have lost. If Wilkins is learning lessons as he goes along, then let him learn that one.

Yeah agreed. I support Wilkins, but why change the starting 11 unless forced too by injuries? I personally don't rate Martot that much, going forward, yes great, but defending for me he is weak.

As for El-Abd at left back? I can see the logic of strength, which Rents doesn't have heaps of, but again when he came on against Southend he did well, so again he should keep the shirt.

You can't argue with the keep the shirt policy, can you?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Apart from the Southend game, where he came on as a sub.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Perhaps it's because Hiney is fed up with whingers whose knowledge of the club's history and understanding of the problems the club has faced and continues to face could be put on the back of a gnat's testicle?

:bla::bla::bla::bla:

:D:D:D:bigwave::bigwave::bigwave:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BTW.

I would NEVER EVER EVER start with Baz. I would certianly give him no more that 25 minutes in the second half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here