Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One decent performance all season....FACT! Are you happy with this?

Are you happy with our start?

• Yes - wilkins is gaining expiereince and im overall happy with things

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • No- overall its been poor and a frustrating season is ahead

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Not sure yet - Im going to give it time before making a major judgement

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • Im still not convinced by wilkins

Votes: 14 14.3%

• Total voters

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Ok lets be honest we have ground out two wins at home that we didnt really deserve....and also produced One decent performance against Millwall...so really we are a very lucky team to have 9 points

Add to that the goal shy away record we have......that has produced nothing but dissapointment.

What do you guys think...is this ok?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes it's OK we are 6th and winning 50% of our games and losing the other 50% in the last 15 mins. Bit of tweaking needed but if you were expecting us to run away with this division I can understand your disappointment

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Yes it's OK we are 6th and winning 50% of our games and losing the other 50% in the last 15 mins. Bit of tweaking needed but if you were expecting us to run away with this division I can understand your disappointment

No I wasnt expecting us to win the league...and the table position doesnt really represent where we really should be performance wise.

I am still worried about Sir wilkins,white & co..........

But it is a long season and time will tell...

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
So why don't you leave your pathetic negative DRIVEL until the end of the season then?

Its my opinion.....why dont you leave your tinted wilkins specs by the bed in the morning instead of having at go at me for not having the same opinion as yours.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Its my opinion.....why dont you leave your tinted wilkins specs by the bed in the morning instead of having at go at me for not having the same opinion as yours.

I'm not having a go at you for having a different opinion to mine - you don't know what my opinion is for a start.

If you say thing like "it's a long season so lets wait and see" then why not ACTUALLY wait and see before posting the latest in a long line of negative, moaning opinions?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Perhaps it's because Hiney is fed up with whingers whose knowledge of the club's history and understanding of the problems the club has faced and continues to face could be put on the back of a gnat's testicle?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Perhaps Mr Hiney is fed up...but regarding the situation of the start of the season and senor wilkins tactics...Im not happy and hense opened up a poll....if your happy then great..but Im not happy with the management...why is that so wrong guys?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Perhaps Mr Hiney is fed up...but regarding the situation of the start of the season and senor wilkins tactics...Im not happy and hense opened up a poll....if your happy then great..but Im not happy with the management...why is that so wrong guys?

Because 'the management' is not the problem. It does not matter who is in charge of the club, without a decent income stream we are stuffed.

It's a glass-half-empty vs a glass half-full. Simple as that - so why don't both you and Hiney try to reach a measured middle-ground where you can discuss the finer points instead of issuing forth wildly singular perspectives.

This is where football discussion falls down on this board, and why loads of people were having a whingefest about the excellent Southend match. ("for 70 minutes we were crap blah blah suddenly Bas saved the club rubbish rubbish rabbit rabbit etc")

We have run the games where we lost away, so the tweaking needs to be done to kill 'em off away. At the same time, there will need to still be a growth in confidence at home, and a fair amount of FOCUSSED TRAINING that results in goal chances being created, everywhere the team plays.

Now that it's fairly laid-out as to how this team works together - it COULD be worked on to a good effect and to good results. If it is NOT, then someone ought to look at the football coaching, and see if this department can work on improving.
That department really is the reason for the results, because it's clear that we have a capable squad.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Because 'the management' is not the problem. It does not matter who is in charge of the club, without a decent income stream we are stuffed.

Disagree.....all the other managers who achieved at this club while playing at withdean had the same restrictions and managed to build and play decent football....performance wise through the majority of last season & the begginning of this season was like the wood/hinshelwood era.

But obviously the long term goal is Falmer and we cannot progress properly at withdean & into our rightful place which in my mind is a strong championship side and then after that who knows....

But In the meantime it doesnt mean we have to just get our heads down and agree with all aspects of the club....

I dont think Wilkins is the man for the job...but while he is in charge its the best we got......But if someone said to me tommorrow wilkins is getting replaced by either adams or Martin Allen..id say yes please.

Disagree.....all the other managers who achieved at this club while playing at withdean had the same restrictions and managed to build and play decent football....performance wise through the majority of last season & the begginning of this season was like the wood/hinshelwood era.

But obviously the long term goal is Falmer and we cannot progress properly at withdean & into our rightful place which in my mind is a strong championship side and then after that who knows....

But In the meantime it doesnt mean we have to just get our heads down and agree with all aspects of the club....

I dont think Wilkins is the man for the job...but while he is in charge its the best we got......But if someone said to me tommorrow wilkins is getting replaced by either adams or Martin Allen..id say yes please.

Just as this IS a fairly decent 1st division squad, now - so in turn is this a fairly decent 1st division manager.
Would it not be FAIR to suggest that our manager can grow in experienced capability, as the squad can? A new manager isn't suddenly going to change the financial constraints of our club just like it wouldn't at any other club!
Wilkins is quite clever in the transfer market - with little-to-no funds to play with.
Is Adams or Allen going to be able to transform the playing abilities of the team??
Would they magically conjure-up loads of money? We can't even afford to buy a Zamora-priced prospect right now, don't forget - and would anyone say that DK should risk the whole club existence right now, for a 'right-now' league-winning squad??
??? ??? ???

Not to overlook the FACT that the bulk of players wearing our team colours at this moment, have not only EARNED the right to wear them, they have those stripes running through them like "Brighton" runs through a stick of 'Brighton Rock'!!

Last edited:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I like your posts they're really funny. Do you get paid for posting such hilarious threads?

By the way, by the looks of the poll, we have got a decent manager.

I like having my own opinion instead of jumping on the bandwagon like some people!

44% is very convincing isnt it?

Lets not beat around the bush...the performances and his overall win/loss ratio has been woeful since he took over a year ago.....and without some luck in the last quarter of two of our games we would now be in the relegation zone and thats a fact..he also nearly took us down...so you think what you want.

One decent performance this season and everyone is acting like all our problems are solved....

It has been my opinion that wilkns is not good enough and tactically inept.....I will not change that because of one 3-0 home win.......but two weeks ago lots and lots of fans were losing faith in wilkins and we beat millwall and now all's great.

I want him to succeed but I still think he is a shi* manager.

Why is that oppiion not allowed without someone knocking it......the results over the past year dont lie.......

From his time in charge...where in that time..does it look like he has the potential to be anything more than a poor manager?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You are backing up your own opinion on a poll that has managed to muster 25 votes. I was counting down the minutes until a byf special would appear after the loss to the Gills. It was a longer wait than usual.

The performance against Millwall was not just decent, but perhaps the best football we have played for a long long time. Possibly, pre-McGhee. We have also showed some resolve and came back from the dead against Southend.

Stop going on about your opinion being stifled - you have already stated your feelings about Wilkins in countless threads...!

Were lots and lots of fans losing faith before the Millwall game? I can't say I noticed.

It is laughable that you want Martin Allen to replace him. What has he ever done to suggest that he would make a decent manager for Brighton?

You want Wilkins to succeed? You could have fooled me. You go for the jugular every time we lose.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why is that oppiion not allowed without someone knocking it......the results over the past year dont lie.......

I've been watching the Albion since 1974, most of that time we have been a bit shit, apart from a few years when we managed, more through luck that judgement, to recruit some exceptional strikers (Ward, Nelson, Nogan, Byrne, Small, Zamora etc). I think the role of the manager is overplayed, Alan Mullery took us to the top division the first time, when he was given loads of money to play with, and inherited a good squad. The second time he managed us he was useless, but at the time we were skint.

Mickey Adams did well for us in Div 3, but at the time we were paying (by that divisions' standards) good wages, and so attracted decent players, and had a huge slice of luck finding BZ.

For a club averaging 5500 gates, with no other sources of income, we are where we should realistically expect to be, mid table in this division.

There are plenty of clubs in this division with a better financial position than us, and that allows them to attract better players, who want better wages.

The issue is money, not Wendy, that will ultimately determine our long term success/survival.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
You are backing up your own opinion on a poll that has managed to muster 25 votes. I was counting down the minutes until a byf special would appear after the loss to the Gills. It was a longer wait than usual.

The performance against Millwall was not just decent, but perhaps the best football we have played for a long long time. Possibly, pre-McGhee. We have also showed some resolve and came back from the dead against Southend.

Stop going on about your opinion being stifled - you have already stated your feelings about Wilkins in countless threads...!

Were lots and lots of fans losing faith before the Millwall game? I can't say I noticed.

It is laughable that you want Martin Allen to replace him. What has he ever done to suggest that he would make a decent manager for Brighton?

You want Wilkins to succeed? You could have fooled me. You go for the jugular every time we lose.

It seems like whatever wilkins does or the albion play like, its fine because its dean Wilkins...or there only young or give him time....bla bla bla.........at stages last season was the some of the worst football since Jeff wood or the gillingham days.

Well on here fans were slowly noticing how inept wilkins is...and the table's were turning...also the fact everyone I talked to about the club admitted he is not the man for the job.....its just a difference of opinion not a major thing..but people dont seem to like the fact of people might have a different one.

Why is it laughable about allen.

First season in management...took a poor Barnet side and in in one year got them to the top of the conference....he leaves for Brentford and they fall apart and fail to gain promotion....

then goes to Brentford and gets them to the play-offs in two years running....with no budget....

Then goes to MK dons and gets them in the playoffs...hense why he was offered a job in the championship and is considred one of the most passionate managers in the game...not like that wet fish who sits in the stands...mr wilkins..

He has acheived good things where ever he has gone...that cannot be denied....granted he is not lucky in the play-offs but he cannot be knocked for his overall career in management.

I do not want the downfall of a manager but I am allowed to say I think he's craop....just like you can say you like the guys management style and overall performance at Brighton is good.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am not saying Wilkins is perfect at all. As you say, we played some atrocious stuff at home last season and we were saved by our efforts on the road.

I am saying that he deserves much more time than you are prepared to give him. Rightly or wrongly, he was thrown in at the deep end and had to hit the ground running. This season is the big test - it is the first chance he has had complete control of the preseason and shape things the way he wants them. He has also managed to make some decent signings that were not forthcoming in the latter stages of McGhee's tenure.

I think we need a bit of a reality check and realise that we are not going to perform like we did against Millwall, week in week out. It is good for the club to have a bit of stability and I don't think changing the manager would make any difference to the results.

As for Allen, I don't rate him that highly. He choked on numerous occasions and should have walked League Two with the team he had.

Wilkins is not the finished article, but shows some promise. Every manager has to start somewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here