Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One and a half million Brits with nothing better to do with their time on Sunday evening .

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What Goldstone has not yet revealed is what constructive worthwhile thing or things he was doing on Sunday night whilst SPOTY was on?

A busy evening in fact:
- I finally figured out the meaning of life
- I finished reading War and Peace
- I was able to complete the splitting of the atom

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I have never ever watched a minute of the X Factor, or Strictly Come Dancing, or I'm a Celebrity, or any Soap.

Honestly folks, there are really better things to be doing during the relatively short time we are on this earth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Go on then spill the beans on what you really got up to...

I asked him that earlier but he's not very forthcoming in telling us what marvellous acts of mercy and kindness he spent his time doing yesterday evening. He's back on Nsc wasting his valuable time along with the rest of us, though.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Interesting read, just prompts one more question from me.

What sort of a SAP keeps forking out every month for over 100 channels of TV, which he plainly gets no use from.

Seems to me the OP should save his money and stick to rant posts on the Argus website

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting read, just prompts one more question from me.

What sort of a SAP keeps forking out every month for over 100 channels of TV, which he plainly gets no use from.

Seems to me the OP should save his money and stick to rant posts on the Argus website

The problem is that the 100+ channels a part of what you get if you have Sky plus the Sports channels. If I could just have the footy channels I most certainly would.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I asked him that earlier but he's not very forthcoming in telling us what marvellous acts of mercy and kindness he spent his time doing yesterday evening. He's back on Nsc wasting his valuable time along with the rest of us, though.

Wasting time on NSC with all of you lovely people is OK. It's not the kind of mind-numbing stuff you get on the telebox ... well maybe some of it is, but it's relatively easy to ignore.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I disagree with the OP and Danny Baker. Some of the personal stories of the Paralympians are incredible and I thought the BBC did a great job on judging how much airtime to give each competitor so it wasn't rushed. In the past the treatment has seemed like a patronising pat on the head, but I thought the whole show last night was brilliant.

The bits with Chelsea and England Euro 2012 were cringing by comparison.

D

Deleted member 18477

What the f*** is the OP on? SPOTY was incredible this year. What a year in sport and I for one enjoyed the show very much reliving the best moments!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Weird thread.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Watching "the beautiful game" is (generally) an uplifting 90 odd minutes. Watching any awards show (sports, Oscars, etc.) is one of the most excruciating experiences you on TV.

That is a completely subjective opinion, you can make exactly the same case for the opposite statement. Watching football is often dull and boring and is for saddos who haven't got proper lives. Throw away your season ticket and DO something with your life.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sunday evening......countryfile ----strictly results-----antiques roadshow----downton abbey---news---bed.

I am terribly middle class ( but wouldn't be seen dead reading the Mail)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
No appeal to me but seem to be in minority :shrug:

Did it really cost money to vote? Not watched this ever but then not had a tele for 5 years and just watch what I ACTUALLY want to watch online, not whatever's on because nothing better to do!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
... than vote for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year. Very sad.

Sad that they'd waste their time watching the programme, even sadder that they'd waste their time and money voting.

Who cares? What the hell difference does it make to anything important.

People, get up off your big fat bums and do something constructive with your time.

Like win an Olympic medal? Or the Tour de France? Or the US Open?

A programme, such as this, celebrates what our sporting heroes have achieved this year. It's a programme to thank them for their endeavours and for giving us so much pleasure and pride. The difference it makes is to spur on the next generation.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
A busy evening in fact:
- I finally figured out the meaning of life
- I finished reading War and Peace
- I was able to complete the splitting of the atom

I did all that years ago. Did you explain the Meaning of Life to your children yet? Or translate War and Peace from the Russian?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
A programme, such as this, celebrates what our sporting heroes have achieved this year. It's a programme to thank them for their endeavours and for giving us so much pleasure and pride. The difference it makes is to spur on the next generation.

We already celebrated what they won when they won. Why do it again? And what qualifies a bunch of lardy TV viewers to decide who is the best of these "sporting heroes"?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Of all the shite bollocks on telly to complain about (X Factor primarily), SPOTY - in an Olympic year - is not the one. I didn't watch it myself, but at least it recognises genuine achievement. Thats more than can be said for most of the supposedly "aspirational" horseshit on telly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here