Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On being kept prisoner at the New Den

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was thinking about the Tuesday night game last season, I think. I'm sure they were held back, my mind might be playing tricks, but I'm sure it was discussed on here.

Ah. In that case they definitely weren't held back, 100%.

They'd never hold fans back after a midweek game, because delaying them getting to the station might mean they'd miss the last trains back to London.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Yeah I just looked back at last seasons home thread. My mind is deceiving me. My bad.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
We were at the back of the queue yesterday and more or less the last people on the platform, I thought it worked well, a stress free exit from the ground.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
5.17pm before they opened the gates and we were permitted to leave ... that's about 25 mins after the game ended. Unacceptable. According to the police it was "for our own protection"! I can look after myself perfectly well thank you if I meet some Millwall supporters. They are woosies outside the protection of their stadium.

I shall be writing to the Millwall Chief Executive and the Police Complaints Authority questioning what authority they have to lock us up against our will.

I had the self same problem last season when visiting the New Den with my Huddersfield Town supporting mate. Despite there only being a few hundred visiting fans present, the local police locked us in the away end for over half an hour after the final whistle, and then proceeded to frogmarch us to South Bermondsey station, despite the fact that we wanted to go to New Cross Gate as we could catch the direct train back to Horsham from there.

Worse was to follow as on the walk back to South Bermondsey we had to walk underneath a bridge, where from above we realised Millwall 'fans' were pissing on us. What was the result when we complained to the police? 'Welcome to Bermondsey mate!' and a grin was the reply.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
5.17pm before they opened the gates and we were permitted to leave ... that's about 25 mins after the game ended. Unacceptable. According to the police it was "for our own protection"! I can look after myself perfectly well thank you if I meet some Millwall supporters. They are woosies outside the protection of their stadium.

I shall be writing to the Millwall Chief Executive and the Police Complaints Authority questioning what authority they have to lock us up against our will.

I encountered the self same problem at the New Den last season when visiting with my Huddersfield Town supporting mate. The local police had us penned up inside the away end for over half an hour after the final whistle for our 'own protection' before frogmarching us en-masse back to South Bermondsey station. The problem was we wanted to walk to New Cross Gate where we could catch a direct train back to Horsham. That request though was met with deaf ears.

Worse was to follow, as en-route back to South Bermondsey we had to walk under a bridge, where from the top a group of local 'fans' decided to piss on us. What was the reaction when we complained to the police? 'Welcome to Bermondsey boys!' and a grin.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
All their "boys" are literally that now boys !
They don't have the rep they had years ago , quite the opposite really.

In the top tier of the Dockers Stand nearest to our end, yes full of young lads giving it all that, but in the Dockers Lower were plenty of older " boys" keeping a low profile.
I would never underestimate Millwall fans.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You were not being kept prisoner.

Stop being a cry baby

Definition of "prisoner" from the dictionary:

"a person confined by any of various restraints".

I was confined by a very high metal gate/fence and not permitted my freedom for 25 minutes. That is BEING HELD PRISONER.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
After being locked in at the old Cold blow lane ground for over an hour after we knocked them out of the play offs in 91. And witnessing the locals fight O.B and burn their police helmets on the terrace.
25 minutes after the game seems pretty reasonable to me

Remember it well. If the OP is whining about 25 minutes, I hope he wasn't there that night! I don't remember the exact time but I would guess it would have been at least an hour. I remember a copper telling us to draw all the curtains on our coach when leaving the area in case the coach was bricked - Less chance of glass fragments catching you in the face. Nice.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
It was 45 minutes last season (admittedly the weather was also decent). It ALWAYS happens at Millwall, what else do you expect ?

The OP probably thinks that using any sort of transport makes him a prisoner too.......

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

I was confined by a very high metal gate/fence and not permitted my freedom for 25 minutes. That is BEING HELD PRISONER.

Yes, I understand the dictionary definition 'mate'

However it's the 25 minutes that gets me.

Really? What were you planning in that time and was you expecting to leave The ground at the same time as the Millwall fans? Really, were you?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Do you want a minutes applause or silence before kick off next Saturday

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Maybe it could be turned into a TV series - we could use our supporter's number to prove that we're treated like numbers, not men.

My number is 400 - well, it should be. It matches the number if pennies required to purchase cider at a number of grounds. I claim 400 - I'm an alcoholic, not a man.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, I understand the dictionary definition 'mate'

However it's the 25 minutes that gets me.

Really? What were you planning in that time and was you expecting to leave The ground at the same time as the Millwall fans? Really, were you?

Yes I was expecting to leave the ground at the same time as the Millwall fans because that's what happened the last time I went to the New Den and football hooliganism problems have got no worse since then. So why the change in policy?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Was no problem at all after a win . No big deal and found the met to be mostly good apart from one power crazy lump trying to prove he was a big man . Much better than Sussex police IMO

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I emailed the Chief Executive of Millwall with my concerns and received the following immediate reply "it is not Millwall fc policy to do this . This action would have been taken on the day by the police match commander . I will pass on your concerns and ask for an explanation . Thank you for attending yesterday and best of luck for the rest of the season .
Andy Ambler
CEO Millwall fc
Sent from my iPad
Thanks Andy

I have already filed a complaint with the Metropolitan Police. Someone has to stand up for their rights.

I also thanked him for his quick reply.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I emailed the Chief Executive of Millwall with my concerns and received the following immediate reply "it is not Millwall fc policy to do this . This action would have been taken on the day by the police match commander . I will pass on your concerns and ask for an explanation . Thank you for attending yesterday and best of luck for the rest of the season .
Andy Ambler
CEO Millwall fc
Sent from my iPad
Thanks Andy

I have already filed a complaint with the Metropolitan Police. Someone has to stand up for their rights.

I also thanked him for his quick reply.

Sounds like you are the only one with a complaint Goldstone, I went yesterday and I thought the Police and stewards were fine, I didn't see any problems, I understand your point here but at least you were safe.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Sounds like you are the only one with a complaint Goldstone, I went yesterday and I thought the Police and stewards were fine, I didn't see any problems, I understand your point here but at least you were safe.

I can assure there were a very large number of people around me voicing their complaints.

Thing is if you don't complain formally nothing gets done and nothing changes.

I wrote a complaint letter last week for a friend who had a number of instances of very poor service from one of the major banks. A few days later she received a phone call from the bank and an offer of £200.

People ... don't accept poor service, don't allow people in authority to treat you like s**t. COMPLAIN.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here