Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On being kept prisoner at the New Den

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
5.17pm before they opened the gates and we were permitted to leave ... that's about 25 mins after the game ended. Unacceptable. According to the police it was "for our own protection"! I can look after myself perfectly well thank you if I meet some Millwall supporters. They are woosies outside the protection of their stadium.

I shall be writing to the Millwall Chief Executive and the Police Complaints Authority questioning what authority they have to lock us up against our will.

First away game? Certainty your first experience at the New Den.

Standard practice and totally appropriate.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Seems like a missed opportunity not to have the bars open. 2000 fans forced to wait for 30 minutes. Even at £4 a bottle you would still shift a lot.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Funnily enought that's just what we said at the end of the game....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Didn't we end their longstanding unbeaten home record. Story goes that the players were told NOT to celebrate if they won until they got back to the dressing room - which they duly did, only to find two Millwall fans waiting for them... Remember play-offs 1991, at least an hour and a half, and I remember my dad making me turn my JC Football Genius t-shirt inside out!!! Great night though. Also recall at the start of next season one of their fans drop-kicked John Robinson from the top of the fence, was like a WWF move...

unbeaten in 27?:blush:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Millwall supporters were kept in for the same amount of time at our place, Completely expected.

I was at The Amex for the Millwall game in August and they walked out of the ground at the same time as us.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No? Enlighten me. I'm convinced they were held back.

There is a policy of not doing that at the Amex, goes along with the rest of the "treat people [more or less] like grown ups" and they will act like them theory.

The Albion actively encourage supporters to stay in the ground after the final whistle, nominally to ease congestion at the pinch points but also to increase revenue. Thousands do hang around for at least one drink, frequently more than one. Therefore to keep away fans in the stadium to reduce the likelihood of them coming into conflict with home fans would be futile, as home fans simply don't disperse at the Amex like they do at other stadiums.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
5.17pm before they opened the gates and we were permitted to leave ... that's about 25 mins after the game ended. Unacceptable. According to the police it was "for our own protection"! I can look after myself perfectly well thank you if I meet some Millwall supporters. They are woosies outside the protection of their stadium.

I shall be writing to the Millwall Chief Executive and the Police Complaints Authority questioning what authority they have to lock us up against our will.

God help you if you are a Bennetts Field season ticket holder.....you are going to get used to being held in.

Stumpy Tim

After being locked in at the old Cold blow lane ground for over an hour after we knocked them out of the play offs in 91. And witnessing the locals fight O.B and burn their police helmets on the terrace.

I was a 14 year old whipper snapper at that game, and remains the only time I've genuinely been scared at a match. I haven't seen Millwall behave quite like they did that game since.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
No? Enlighten me. I'm convinced they were held back.

I left a few minutes after our last home game against Millwall. Saw loads of their fans heading towards the station.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No it's not, it's never happened before. Usually you can walk out of the gate to the left, this time it was shut.

Sorry not correct, we tried and couldn't get out last year, we were kept in until about 5.30ish...... yesterday it was about 5.20, but this time we went by coach so no real problem as we ate and celebrated :ascarf:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
All part of the matchday experience at Millwall, ok it's frustrating to held outside the away end at the final whistle, but not really a great problem, unless it is hissing down with rain. Fortunately it wasn't and we got to enjoy a post match debrief and a lovely 'sunset over Bermondsey' (if that's not an oxymoron).

I do have some sympathy for those with young kids especially when there is a brief crush as the gate is opened but then common sense should apply and just hold back until it subsides. It wouldn't put me off going to games there.

Unfortunately the problem is the single platform at the Station meaning it is difficult to separate the fans and likely to be a flashpoint if the hard men want to have some handbags right next to the platform edge. So the containment for a few minutes away from the station makes some sense to reasonably ensure everyone's safety. Rival fans can exchange a few verbals, but no fisticuffs.

We are all so sanitised at footie these days that situations at Millwall where you get a bit of a crush as the crowd is released might seem a bit much but TBH it's all rather tame.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I was so pissed I didn't give a Dogs nob !!!
In fact I was being molested at one point by a very pretty blonde who kept pinching my bum so I was happy I could have had a **** and no one would have noticed !! :D

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Keeping the bars open would have made a world of difference to the PR side of things. A lesson for Millwall's powers that be... who, naturally, will read this post and take notice of it. :bla:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
All their "boys" are literally that now boys !
They don't have the rep they had years ago , quite the opposite really.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
There is a policy of not doing that at the Amex, goes along with the rest of the "treat people [more or less] like grown ups" and they will act like them theory.

The Albion actively encourage supporters to stay in the ground after the final whistle, nominally to ease congestion at the pinch points but also to increase revenue. Thousands do hang around for at least one drink, frequently more than one. Therefore to keep away fans in the stadium to reduce the likelihood of them coming into conflict with home fans would be futile, as home fans simply don't disperse at the Amex like they do at other stadiums.

I was thinking about the Tuesday night game last season, I think. I'm sure they were held back, my mind might be playing tricks, but I'm sure it was discussed on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here