Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympics Yes or No

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Well I'm looking forward to it, got my day off booked for the Olympic torch coming through my town and got tickets to see a bit of both Olympics.

At the moment, it's all marketing and sales fiascos, brought about by organisations that are failing to do the basics properly.

Once the games themselves get going, it will be all about the olympian spirit. We'll enjoy that bit.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I'm really looking forward to the olympics. In an Olympic year it's usually a little in your face in advertising,but naturally as the host country it's going to be even more so. I get all the argument about the cost of it all, but come on, it's a once in a lifetime event. Enjoy, it's the greatest show on earth, and as for those slagging of the Paralympics? Your an embarrassment, how dare you say the disabled shouldn't compete. It's not just about being at the peak of physicality. The Olympic spirit was meant to be about amateurs doing the best they could, it's about human spirit, and overcoming disability is the greatest achievement, and some might say even greater achievement than the able bodied olympics.

Sent by Derek Achora via the spirit world.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Not for me, only one sport; footy:shrug:

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
As a rule of thumb anything that politicians advocate as representing a "good thing" for the public should be treated by the public with extreme caution.

On the plus side I will advocate anything that fucks up London and the wankers that live there. Unfortunately London taxi drivers putting up their fares, the Tube drivers getting an "Olympic" bonus for not going on strike, and congestion will affect UK taxpayers and those who will need to go to London for a non Olympic issue.

As for the Paralympics for one thing its very hard to know how competitive the athletes in the disciplines are..........I reckon if I owned a Circus and I advertised that I would be organising races so that people with cerebal palsy could compete against stroke victims for a paying crowd I reckon would be shut down pdq.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
I'm still not convinced by the Olympics, although if I'm honest it's because I think it's going to be massively expensive and a bit embarrassingly crap -- if it's massively expensive but organised competently enough then I'll probably get into the spirit of it. We've got tickets for a day of the archery, which I'm looking forward to, and a day of the sailing, which my wife is really looking forward to, so I'm at least hoping to see some world-class sport that isn't often on our doorstep.

And I'm cautiously optimistic that the opening ceremony won't be a complete let-down in the hands of Danny Boyle, although my cynical side keeps imagining how it might be done by Frankie Boyle.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
If disabled people want to compete against each other that's fine. But why make it part of the olympics? Why would they think that anyone would be interested in watching? Political correctness gone absolutely stark raving mad. Next there'll be a gay olympics. In fact every minority group will want their own.

I think there is a gay olympics.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
As for the Paralympics for one thing its very hard to know how competitive the athletes in the disciplines are..........I reckon if I owned a Circus and I advertised that I would be organising races so that people with cerebal palsy could compete against stroke victims for a paying crowd I reckon would be shut down pdq.

My thoughts exactly.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I love the olympics when they get going. Can't stand all the hype and I think the money spent on the opening and closing ceremonies is obscene.

I don't consider that the 2012 games are special anymore since being pissed on at the original public sale of tickets and the number of times the organisers keep coming back to try and flog seats that nobody else around the world will buy. THANKS VERY MUCH MR COE.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I really couldn't give a monkeys' about it. It's nothing but a money making scheme for big commercial companies all underpinned with tax payers money. Money that would be better spent on putting more police on the street, improving hospitals or even lowering council tax.

People complain about the price of football tickets - they have nothing on the rip off that is Olympic tickets !!!!

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
The whole thing has become ridiculous, if the country feels the need to spend billions on 'showing off' how rich we are then spend the money providing sports facilities for the whole country, not handing millions to building companies for venues which will be largely unused after the event, note how all the 'private' promised money has never materialized, it will cost us (taxpayers) millions and for what a few medals, the real pinnacle of sports are events like wimbledon, tour de france and the world championships of various events, held every year.
I love sport, both playing and watching but find the Olympics just an obscene waste of money, we can ill afford.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I really couldn't give a monkeys' about it. It's nothing but a money making scheme for big commercial companies all underpinned with tax payers money. Money that would be better spent on putting more police on the street, improving hospitals or even lowering council tax.

People complain about the price of football tickets - they have nothing on the rip off that is Olympic tickets !!!!
How are they even similar one goes in to the pockets of a mega rich chairman the other goes back into the public pot that helped pay for the Olympics, and i cant see how £20 to go see the greatest sporting event is a rip off.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I know it sounds harsh, but the poster above is right, disabled people shouldn't be part of it. I've nothing against them and I appreciate their struggle, but they are not the best at anything so should not be given the platform to perform in front of the world.

Astounding.

'They' are not the best at anything?

'They' should not be given a platform to perform in front of the world?

I am genuinely puzzled as to why anyone would have strong feelings against the Paralympics. Competitors can't compete on a level playing field with able bodied athletes, but that shouldn't mean that they should be binned off.

And before the Dysmorphobe [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] pipes up with the lazy term, PC Correct/Madness, it is nothing about that and everything to do with being inclusive. Or would you prefer a society with marginalised groups seperated? How about we starts with supreme beings like you and stick you in first class and work our way back from there.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
The whole thing has become ridiculous, if the country feels the need to spend billions on 'showing off' how rich we are then spend the money providing sports facilities for the whole country, not handing millions to building companies for venues which will be largely unused after the event, note how all the 'private' promised money has never materialized, it will cost us (taxpayers) millions and for what a few medals, the real pinnacle of sports are events like wimbledon, tour de france and the world championships of various events, held every year.
I love sport, both playing and watching but find the Olympics just an obscene waste of money, we can ill afford.

The past 6 of 7 Olympiads have made a profit, the only one that didnt was Athens which was a complete shambles, and some of the stadiums are still not being used

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The past 6 of 7 Olympiads have made a profit, the only one that didnt was Athens which was a complete shambles, and some of the stadiums are still not being used

I can't find any evidence that backs your statement up. I would suggest private enterprise makes the profit while the tax payer stumps up most of the cash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here