Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympics Yes or No

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So Sport is only for the best, those that have a chance of winning?

I repeat, the Olympics is about motivating and inspiring people to be the best that THEY can be. This has absolutely nothing to do with winning or being the best in the world. It is about being the best that you, as an individual, can be.

In which case why do they give the medals to the winners? Give the gold to the person who has been the best they can be. Excuse me KZNSeagull, but you really do spout a load of bollocks.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm slightly concerned about being dragged into this.
I can't remember our 'argument' BoF, but I'd image my side of it was connected to Mr Average Team GB, not Olympians in general, or Paraolympian (sp) .

That being a heavily funded athlete, usual track, trotting up 7th in a semi final.
Then grabbing the mike to say what a 'great experience it was', 'can't complain about my performance' blah blah blah.

I expect better.

I would have then sighted Team GB cycling in Bejing.
If you're not going to medal, you're not going.
Which is why all but 1 team member medalled, in China. (Ironically Cav missing out).

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you were against Paralympics. More to do with 'in it to win it' or not at all. Addressing another point of the critiques in a wider spectrum. I am sure we sparred about that in the past.

You were using the cyclists as an example. But it is very easy for the team manager to say we are only here to win medals if they have a team full of potential medal winners. Everyone has got to start somewhere. I am sure they were not born medal winners and entered plenty events where they were also-rans.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I am very excited that the worlds eyes will be on our beautiful country and our people.

No they won't. The eyes of the world will be on a few pieces of modern construction (the stadia) in a run-down part of London. And how exactly will the eyes of the world be on our people??

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
You are a F____g twat. :dunce:

"I've absolutely nothing against disabled people - how is it is even possible to have something against them? Of course their situation is a nightmare. But that should not give them the right to jump on the Olympics bandwagon"

Well I'm a distinctly mediocre specimen anyway, so I'm certainly not suggesting anybody is inferior to me. I've absolutely nothing against disabled people - how is it is even possible to have something against them? Of course their situation is a nightmare. But that should not give them the right to jump on the Olympics bandwagon by staging their own event straight after it. If you're going to hold a sporting event, only the very best should apply. Women, children, those with a disability, old people, fat people, midgets, the terminally ill - they're all disadvantaged as they cannot possibly compete with the fittest man, so why don't we give them ALL their own Olympics?

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
No they won't. The eyes of the world will be on a few pieces of modern construction (the stadia) in a run-down part of London. And how exactly will the eyes of the world be on our people??

You obviously have never watched any olympic games before. The 2012 olympics will be held all over the nation, one really cool event will be volleyball which will take place art Earls Court. Olympic games broadcasts across the world will highlight the nation they are held in massively, it will show your standard traditional English people as well as communities and regions some people may have never heard of.

Since you obviously are unsure about what you say here is a link that you can educate yourself : http://www.london2012.com/

I hope this helps you out :kiss:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
First job I had was involved with disabled people competing in sports events, knew nothing about it before. Was an eye opener, I assumed (wrongly) they were "disabled versions" of existing events. How wrong was I... wheelchair tennis (for instance) is incredible.

Don't be too hard on some of the posters on here having a pop at the paralympics - they are simply the product of ignorance.

When they grow up and get to see a little bit more of the world, they might change their view. Here's hoping.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well I'm a distinctly mediocre specimen anyway, so I'm certainly not suggesting anybody is inferior to me. I've absolutely nothing against disabled people - how is it is even possible to have something against them? Of course their situation is a nightmare. But that should not give them the right to jump on the Olympics bandwagon by staging their own event straight after it. If you're going to hold a sporting event, only the very best should apply. Women, children, those with a disability, old people, fat people, midgets, the terminally ill - they're all disadvantaged as they cannot possibly compete with the fittest man, so why don't we give them ALL their own Olympics?

You are not coming across very well.

For a start, it is not necessarily a 'nightmare' for all disabled people. You might not notice, but there are a fair amount of highly successful disabled people round and about the country. Not forgetting the invisibles (like you and like I) whom are chuntering along happily in life.

The Paralympics were founded on the basis of the war wounded competing in events, back in 1948. It is nothing to do with jumping on the Olympic badnwagon. It is all to do with recognising that there are some capable, dedicated people that wish to compete against one and other. The name even means 'alongside' - not 'on top of' or 'in the middle of'.

I am not sure if you are being deliberately provocative (it is hard to tell sometimes).

They are the very best at what they do with their available abilities. No-one is forcing you to watch it. No-one is forcing you to support it.

I'm actually a little concerned that I have been hooked, caught and now desperately struggling, on the deck, for a gulp of air.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And before the Dysmorphobe [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] pipes up with the lazy term, PC Correct/Madness, it is nothing about that and everything to do with being inclusive. Or would you prefer a society with marginalised groups seperated? How about we starts with supreme beings like you and stick you in first class and work our way back from there.

Apologies for dragging this thread back to life, but I just found this reference. My first concern was whether to be insulted or not about being called something I'd never heard of. The I looked up "dysmorphobe" ... no such word according to the dictionary. There is a word "dysmorphobic" ... I read the definition and still none the wiser ... please help ... have I been insulted??

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Apologies for dragging this thread back to life, but I just found this reference. My first concern was whether to be insulted or not about being called something I'd never heard of. The I looked up "dysmorphobe" ... no such word according to the dictionary. There is a word "dysmorphobic" ... I read the definition and still none the wiser ... please help ... have I been insulted??

Seems to refer to people who are obsessed with their physical appearance.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

It appears that 'dysmorphic' is the opposite of what a Crystal Palace fan is.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Dysmorphophobia is defined as the abnormal fear of any personal physical deformity, or the morbid fear of deformity or a perceived profound negative distortion of one's body image.

But then I talk a load of bollocks, so that may or may not be true.

As to whether you are insulted by that is up to you.

Last edited:

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Profit my arse! - if the Olympics made the kind of profits mooted here dozen's of private finance companies would jump on board to grab a share but they don't, the taxpayers of the countries foot the bill, while the Building firms and McDonalds etc cream off any profit, selling junk food but as mentioned elsewhere the taxpayer has payed for all the infastructure at massive cost to make it all possible, only when ALL that money has been returned to the treasury can the games be called 'in profit', and when they are sold on (if ever, n.b. the millenium dome which cost £5 million!! a year just to police until eventually sold)) the value of all these new facilities is rather like on ebay I suspect, about a third (or less) of the new cost, how much were West ham offering for an £600m stadium?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Profit my arse! - if the Olympics made the kind of profits mooted here dozen's of private finance companies would jump on board to grab a share but they don't, the taxpayers of the countries foot the bill, while the Building firms and McDonalds etc cream off any profit, selling junk food but as mentioned elsewhere the taxpayer has payed for all the infastructure at massive cost to make it all possible, only when ALL that money has been returned to the treasury can the games be called 'in profit', and when they are sold on (if ever, n.b. the millenium dome which cost £5 million!! a year just to police until eventually sold)) the value of all these new facilities is rather like on ebay I suspect, about a third (or less) of the new cost, how much were West ham offering for an £600m stadium?

Absolutely. What [MENTION=22405]Super Will Buckley[/MENTION] has failed to do is provide any credible links for his stats or the breakdown. I suspect private enterprise will make a profit as will the Olympics Organisation but the British taxpayer will be heavily out of pocket.

Fur Cough

Absolutely. What [MENTION=22405]Super Will Buckley[/MENTION] has failed to do is provide any credible links for his stats or the breakdown. I suspect private enterprise will make a profit as will the Olympics Organisation but the British taxpayer will be heavily out of pocket.

Very much THIS. We, the taxpayer, will not profit from these f***ing games in the slightest.

Only event I would be interested in if they can bring it in would be Javelin Catching, I would pay large sums to see that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here