Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympics Yes or No

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
My wife went to the Paralympics in Sydney and saw Wheelchair Rugby. She said it was one of the most amazing events she had been to and was really well supported. I couldnlt get tickets for the main Olympics and being in construction am interested in going to the Olympic Park. We have day tickets for 3 events on a Saturday followed by a swimming medal event that evening for 4 adults and a child -£116!! Think the Paralymics will be the sleeping giant of the Summer.

Can i ask why, i know people taking part so be interested in why you would think that.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
How old are you out of interest?

If disabled people want to compete against each other that's fine. But why make it part of the olympics? Why would they think that anyone would be interested in watching? Political correctness gone absolutely stark raving mad. Next there'll be a gay olympics. In fact every minority group will want their own.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Thought I was going to look forward to it but it's down your throat every 5 mins at the moment. Is it just me turning into a grumpy old git.

Ages away yet and I'm p'd off all ready. probably be good when it starts though, is darts in it?.

It's gonna get "worse" for you I am afraid. I will be doing my best to ignore the hype and then enjoy a 3 week festival of sport / drama.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
You really don't get it do you? The point of the paralympics is that you compete against similar disadvantaged competitors. Who are you to say that "they" shouldn't be part of it? If you don't want to watch it then don't but don't preach that "they" shouldn't be allowed to take part. Perhaps the Albion should have banned the ballboys at Withdean? For the record I am fully abled and my brother walks with a limp and is categorised as disabled. He is however one of the most inspirational people aroundwhen it comes to sport. I don't like being abusive on these threads as I do not consider myself to be aan abusive person so I will not say what I really think of your comment. You wouldn't (I hope?) say the same about coloured competitiors so why say it about disabled? I will now dismount from my high horse.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
1000% yes. The greatest show on earth, in our back yard.

Absolutely, yes.

I can't wait. I think the cynics will, as usual, be out in force, ready to moan at the slightest thing. But once it comes around, they will be overwhelmed by the wave of public support for the games.

It's the only chance I'll ever get to see the Olympic Games in my country during my lifetime, the eyes of the world will be on us and we're going to do a BRILLIANT job. Times are tough all over the world, why the hell not take some time out to enjoy the show, and to be proud of ourselves for once? Hopefully our athletes will be suitably inspired and lift everyone with a stack of medals too. I completely include the Paralympians in that. I have no tickets but I'll be waving my flag as much as anyone.

Good luck, Team GB :thumbsup:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know it sounds harsh, but the poster above is right, disabled people shouldn't be part of it. I've nothing against them and I appreciate their struggle, but they are not the best at anything so should not be given the platform to perform in front of the world.

You might as well say women shouldn't compete then, as clearly the female gold medal winners won't be as fast or strong as the male ones. Or that the 200m and 400m should be scrapped as they don't prove who the fastest man on earth is, only the 100m does that. In fact: what's the point of supporting the Albion? They're never going to be the best in the country, let alone the world.

I'll be cheering on our Paralympians as as part of Team GB. You, on the other hand, might as well stay at home and watch Deal Or No Deal or Take That DVDs or whatever it is you do for fun. Have a great summer.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
For years the thought of seeing the olympics in London was a dream and excited me but after the fiasco of ticketing and getting bugger all tickets I now have lost all interest We are now off on holiday during the first week.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
I really can't believe some of the responses here. Disgusting some of them. Shameful

As for the question:

I am very excited that the worlds eyes will be on our beautiful country and our people. I am proud of where I come from even though some of the people around here seem to be so stuck up there own arse that they have no concept of it.
This is a once in a lifetime occurrence and am very glad I will get to witness it. Other than hosting the world cup this is the next best thing.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I really can't believe some of the responses here. Disgusting some of them. Shameful

As for the question:

I am very excited that the worlds eyes will be on our beautiful country and our people. I am proud of where I come from even though some of the people around here seem to be so stuck up there own arse that they have no concept of it.
This is a once in a lifetime occurrence and am very glad I will get to witness it. Other than hosting the world cup this is the next best thing.

I do tend to agree with you and I think I will love it when it starts. It just seems way off yet and every push of the button it's in your face, I suppose it's all marketing etc. Thanks for putting me right. However I wish I had'nt started the thread now, it seems to have brought some very uneducated people out into the cold. May I suggest those that comment negatively about the paralympics volunteer themselves to help some disabled people. You will very quickly realise that each one of them is worth a hundred of you. I have another suggestion, if you feel that strongly why dont you print your comments on a tshirt and run the London Marathon wearing it.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
I do tend to agree with you and I think I will love it when it starts. It just seems way off yet and every push of the button it's in your face, I suppose it's all marketing etc. Thanks for putting me right. However I wish I had'nt started the thread now, it seems to have brought some very uneducated people out into the cold. May I suggest those that comment negatively about the paralympics volunteer themselves to help some disabled people. You will very quickly realise that each one of them is worth a hundred of you. I have another suggestion, if you feel that strongly why dont you print your comments on a tshirt and run the London Marathon wearing it.

To be honest I haven't felt the thrust of the marketing yet although I know what you mean, I can only imagine it will get worse as it gets closer to the games.

As for the idiots I am afraid this site is full of them.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Wow some peoples views are pretty disgusting i feel really shocked

I'm sorry. I don't think my views are disgusting at all. I have no axe to grind with disabled people. I just really don't think the Paralympics should be appended to the original Olympics. To me the Olympics represent the pinnacle of human endeavour and to watch someone with a metal springy blade thing for feet charging up the track seems a sad, forlorn, travesty of the original vision. I think it's touch and go whether they are televised for their athletic ability or to provide a morbid curiosity entertainment show.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I'm sorry. I don't think my views are disgusting at all. I have no axe to grind with disabled people. I just really don't think the Paralympics should be appended to the original Olympics. To me the Olympics represent the pinnacle of human endeavour and to watch someone with a metal springy blade thing for feet charging up the track seems a sad, forlorn, travesty of the original vision. I think it's touch and go whether they are televised for their athletic ability or to provide a morbid curiosity entertainment show.

But there not part of the Olympics are they there held a month later and are not even on BBC this year, i really cant see how people feel the paralympics are a joke, do you think these people want to be disabled do you not believe they should have goals and want to be the best they can they should be applauded for it.

Your fews are disgusting pure and simple disgusting, what lets treat them like second rate people

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
a very big YES from the other side of the channel for the OLYMPICS!
a dream come true

as for the paralympics , it doesnt interest me a great deal (ie i dont know much about the athletes(competitors)
but it´s is already more than just a great idea ... what coverage will it get on TV?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
But there not part of the Olympics are they there held a month later and are not even on BBC this year, i really cant see how people feel the paralympics are a joke, do you think these people want to be disabled do you not believe they should have goals and want to be the best they can they should be applauded for it.

Your fews are disgusting pure and simple disgusting, what lets treat them like second rate people

I might add that I care for my polio disabled wife daily and care very deeply about disabled people. Why do you automatically assume that embarassment over the Paralympics implies that I don't care about disabled people or their rights and goals. I think we should stick to the football don't you?

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I might add that I care for my polio disabled wife daily and care very deeply about disabled people. Why do you automatically assume that embarassment over the Paralympics implies that I don't care about disabled people or their rights and goals. I think we should stick to the football don't you?

Your the one that brought up the idea that Paralympics was pointless and used to morbid entertainment not me.

If ya wanna put a stance like that expect a response, it is a disgusting stance pure and simple in my book

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here