Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic sailing

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What are Iain Percy and Andrew Simpson doing? They need to stop worrying about the Brazilians and finish in the top 6. Disastrous sailing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Idiots. Worst sailing ever.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Not quite as simple as it would appear when you have a nine point lead, and then this so called medal race is added. It only happens in Olympic sailing. In a normal regatta they would have been Gold medallists on Friday.
Still the medal race is about to help Ben win Gold when he couldn't on Friday. You win some, you lose some!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know nothing about sailing
Nor do I, but no one knows that, so today I am an expert with the medals that justify my harsh criticism.

that was rubbish
I am verging on being angry :lol: (no sense of perspective). The whole race they were fixated on the Brazilians who would have had to beat them by a few places, while the Sweedes lead the way. It was clear as day that they needed to stay with the Swedes and make sure they only finished 5 places behind, yet in the closing stages they were off on the left on their own - what the f*** was that all about? They are great sailors and no one will be more disappointed than them - I think they're going to look back and wonder what the f*** they were doing.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
They had the gold medal in the bag, but sailing is one of those unpredictable sports where a mere gust of wind can cause you to drop 3/4 places in the space of 100m. Unfortunately for Percy and Simpson, that happened in the last 100m.

You can't blame them for having one eye on the Brazilians, and fair play to Sweden who clearly had nothing to lose by going for it.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I know nothing about sailing but the computer graphic has totally confused me. What the f*** is dirty air? (I think that's the term he used)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I know nothing about sailing but the computer graphic has totally confused me. What the f*** is dirty air? (I think that's the term he used)

It's the wind you are sailing in when there is a boat either to windward, or close enough to affect the breeze that you are trying to sail in.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It's the wind you are sailing in when there is a boat either to windward, or close enough to affect the breeze that you are trying to sail in.

Thanks. And there I was thinking it was a simple straight forward first across the line type of race.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
sailing is one of those unpredictable sports where a mere gust of wind can cause you to drop 3/4 places in the space of 100m. Unfortunately for Percy and Simpson, that happened in the last 100m.
Although that happened, it was their choice to be in different wind. It's people trying to catch up that need to be in different wind, not people protecting their lead.
You can't blame them for having one eye on the Brazilians
One eye, yes, but they had all four eyes on the Brazilians, and were blind to the entire race.
fair play to Sweden who clearly had nothing to lose by going for it.
Of course, well done to them for picking up the pathetic pieces left by our losers (while I am shocked by the magnitude of our failure, please don't take this childish rant too seriously).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A bit like in F1... if you can get right up their arse your engine does not have to work so hard but if you slip back a couple of yards you end up getting turbulence and having to use more power. in Sailing it means you do not get a steady airstream you can use.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks. And there I was thinking it was a simple straight forward first across the line type of race.
The best was a couple of days ago when Ainslie was ahead of the Dane, but slowed down and sailed in front of the Dane to slow him down so that the dutch guy overtook the Dane, putting Ben 2 places ahead. Amazing.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
A bit like in F1... if you can get right up their arse your engine does not have to work so hard but if you slip back a couple of yards you end up getting turbulence and having to use more power. in Sailing it means you do not get a steady airstream you can use.

Clearly much more to this sport than I thought. Enjoying it though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The best was a couple of days ago when Ainslie was ahead of the Dane, but slowed down and sailed in front of the Dane to slow him down so that the dutch guy overtook the Dane, putting Ben 2 places ahead. Amazing.

Getting the impression this is a perfect sport for pissing off your competitors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here