Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic sailing

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Crikey... high risk of Ned finishing third... and overhauling Ainslee while he was concentrating on the Dane. :nono:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There is an element of lottery on this inshore course. However Ben is the best sailor in the world. Looks like the lottery is getting the upper hand at the moment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Getting the impression this is a perfect sport for pissing off your competitors.
Good isn't it. Can't remember if it was the last gold Ben won, or the one before, but he was leading his only rival before the final race, so all he did was tack in front of him to stop him, so they both finished last.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The Kiwi has just done Ben Ainslee a HUGE favour... Ned drops to 5th... Ainslee looking good for GOLD!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now idiocy has beset the commentator, that says it's so close the one second it stopped being close (Netherlands ballsed it up)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Well done Ben.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Now idiocy has beset the commentator, that says it's so close the one second it stopped being close (Netherlands ballsed it up)

Agreed that was awful commentary. The BBC so often get these things right, but that was shambolic :nono:

and Rob Walker - please just do one :angry:

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Crikey... high risk of Ned finishing third... and overhauling Ainslee while he was concentrating on the Dane. :nono:
Had that have happened it wouldn't have been a bad mistake by Ben, as he had to beat (and therefore concentrate on) the Dane. It's not like Percy and Simpson's race where they could afford to finish a couple of places behind Brazil.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I was about to get annoyed for reasons I can't understand about sailing. I mean how can you lead all week only to lose at the end. Why didn't any of the team GB riders try to win this races out right or is it a matter of playing safe? Frustrating sport.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I was about to get annoyed for reasons I can't understand about sailing. I mean how can you lead all week only to lose at the end. Why didn't any of the team GB riders try to win this races out right or is it a matter of playing safe? Frustrating sport.

See post Five!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Ooo! The fat lady is singing!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed that was awful commentary. The BBC so often get these things right, but that was shambolic :nono:
Some of the commentary has been appalling, but some has been great. I was watching us win the trap shooting gold live, and the Swede, who only missed one shot all final, was our closest rival - but for 5 minutes the commentator banger on about our only rivals being two others that were further behind. At first I just thought the commentator was a bit stupid, but after he carried on with his shit I began to doubt myself, and wonder if there was a qualifying reason that meant the Swede couldn't win. But no, eventually the commentator spotted the score.

The best commentary has been from those who know the sport, like Redgrave, Boardman, and some of the competitors, like when Lizzie Armitstead said 'That was just awful. You have just got to put yourself in such a dark, dark place to get through that with your mind."

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Great moment with the flares there. (Dont try that at home though kids)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here