Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic Park tickets. Waste of time and money.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Just in case anyone is thinking of paying 10 quid for the pleasure of hanging around the Olympic Park, a colleague of mine went yesterday ... in his opinion (and his daughter's) it was a complete waste of both time and money. No atmosphere, nothing to do, food was ridiculously expensive. In his words "Rip off".

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Paralympic ones you get to see loads of events buying ones of the main olympics is like being sold an empty spurs shirt box at the seagulls superstore - you get nothing yet its is obvious you are buying nothing

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Would say they had ridiculous expectations then. We went for events but also just hung out. Thought the olympic park was really well done, the venues look great, the wild flowers along the river were beautiful. We face painted up, chatted to other nationalities and really friendly volunteers. They were stupid not take their own food in and have a picnic. What exactly were they expecting?!

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The Olympic village does have the worlds biggest McDonalds, thats something to say you have been to.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Just in case anyone is thinking of paying 10 quid for the pleasure of hanging around the Olympic Park, a colleague of mine went yesterday ... in his opinion (and his daughter's) it was a complete waste of both time and money. No atmosphere, nothing to do, food was ridiculously expensive. In his words "Rip off".

I wandered around the Olympic Park after my event on Saturday for about two hours. Went into three of the sponsors installations (two were good, one was naff but there are loads I didn't go into), sat and watched the live screens for a bit, caught a few bands at the live stage and soaked up the excellent atmoshphere. The only food I paid for was my McDonalds breakfast which was excatly the same price as it would have been on the high street.

Would jump at the chance to go again but its all sold out.

I have loaded up with paralympic tickets. Cracking value when compared to the standard ticket prices (if you can find one). A day pass to the Excel for example goes for £10. That's 12 hours in about 6 different events, come and go as you please. Add this with a bit of basketball at the 02 (£15), a short cable car ride over the Thames and you have a great day out.
Also have paralympic tickets for 2 days of athletics where tickets are £20 each and I am assuming you also get your travelcard included. Not to mention watching some truly amazing individuals compete.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
There is another perspective. An elderly couple (in their late '70s) we know who are keen sports fans and former Londoners are desperate to see the Olympic Park but cannot afford the ticket prices but are willing to find £10 each are going to make the effort of a 200 mile round trip just to enter the Olympic Park to savour the atmosphere and see what has happened to an area of London they always remember as being in decline. They are so excited just at the thought of being there. I guess it would be so easy for them to shrug their shoulders and not be bothered, but they take the opposite view. Good for them.

I have offered to take them to the Para-Olympics as tickets for the venues are £5 for seniors.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

In the park yesterday - for a princely sum of £5 they would have got tickets for basketball (plenty available) and I believe there were some for the copper box and hockey too all at the same price.

As for food - at the weekend I paid £4.60 for a pint of bitter and 7.50 for a 9inch pizza. Probably about 20% higher than most sports events but hardly a rip-off. Food choice as great (the asian was especially good).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

OK - and what's your take on the Olympic Park?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

It sounds like they have the same negative mindset as you then

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Great thread, bro!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
OK - and what's your take on the Olympic Park?

It wasn't me, it was a colleague (if you read my post) ... he said that what they had done to that part of London was pretty amazing, but he could have seen that before or after the games without paying ten quid. He's also looking forward to seeing it in about a year's time with weeds growing around the entire park and tumbleweed blowing around ... much like all the other former Olympics parks.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
It wasn't me, it was a colleague (if you read my post) ... he said that what they had done to that part of London was pretty amazing, but he could have seen that before or after the games without paying ten quid. He's also looking forward to seeing it in about a year's time with weeds growing around the entire park and tumbleweed blowing around ... much like all the other former Olympics parks.

Apart from the fact that half of it will have been turned into a town. The future of the Park | London Legacy Development Corporation

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I went with the family to the swimming yesterday morning (great fun, nice to see some Brits do well) and we stayed in the park until 4ish. It is very nicely done but mobbed with people and the catering is expensive. it's also worth avoiding peak eating times as the queues were massive and the stalls were running out of basic ingredients.

We enjoyed chilling in the park in front of the big screens. The CocaCola Beat Box was OKish if you have kids but the 1 hour queue was longer than I'd bother with again.

The organisation, security and transport were all superbly done. Well done the army! We even managed to enter the park following a military band which added to the sense of occasion. We were there at 8am and managed to get into the 2012 shop before the queues built - well worth doing if you are going for a morning session of something and want to pick up a tee-shirt (£25!!!).

If you don't have tickets to an event I'd say that it's a marginal day out compared to, say, a theme park where there are rides and attractions - but I'm really pleased we went and were part of it all.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Are you the apple that fell off the pessimistic tree?

You're saying all the other Olympic parks are left to ruin but then you have clearly never been to Sydney, Athens, Beijing or Atlanta where all are used to provide some form of sporting academy.

I suspect you don't really like the Olympics and are just looking for ways to provide negative comments about something that provides so much pleasure to a vast majority of people and that whilst I respect your own views and opinions on this, the more optimistic amongst us would rather see things from a more positive perspective.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You're saying all the other Olympic parks are left to ruin but then you have clearly never been to Sydney, Athens, Beijing or Atlanta where all are used to provide some form of sporting academy.

I suspect you don't really like the Olympics ...

Believe me I most certainly HAVE seen all of the Athens facilities and the vast majority are exactly as I have described above. Depressing.

And you are correct, I really really don't like the Olympics.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham

cor your a right happy chappy aint ya:jester:
still when its all overgrown with weeds there will be lots of insects for you to rip the wings of as you sit there (that might make you smile )

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...

What the hell were they expecting? Herds of athletes running naked around the park? Heston blumenthal beckoning you in for a free eight corse meal? I think it's a great opportunity for people to just see the park and soak up the atmosphere if they don't want to blow a load of money on event tickets, or if they were unable to get tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here