Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic Mens Ice Hockey Final

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's a hockey thing. Take it from me, the US are the home team in this game and it is a distinct advantage.

Heard this ( about US being the home team ) at the beginning of the match in the commentary. Can you explain please ?

Here's hoping for a Canadian winner A.S.A.P. I don't want to be up any later than I have to for MOTD and League Cup Final highlights.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wikipedia says:

In ice hockey, during stoppages of play, the home team is allowed to make player substitutions after the visiting team, allowing them to obtain favorable player matchups. This rule makes the home team designation important even in tournament games played on neutral ice. Also, when lining up for each faceoff, the away team's centre must place his stick on the ice before the centre of the home team. This gives the home team's centre the ability to time the faceoff better and gives him greater odds of winning the faceoff.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Isn't this the first time in these Olympics that a team has failed to score when the opposition withdrew their goaltender?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Well you seem to, maybe you can tell us!

I just did. They are designated as the home team in this game and that gives them the advantage of last change.

Being the home team in a tournament is different to being AT home. Every game has to have a team designated as the 'home' team, even when it is, say, Latvia vs Belarus in Vancouver. In this case it is the US. Simple statement of fact.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Yup, that's what hockey is all about. That is why it is more exciting to watch than most football matches.

More exciting than football?

I will agree that generally speaking it's a faster paced game and you're more likely to see higher scoring matches BUT you don't get the excitement of Elliott Bennett style SCREAMERS or Paul Dicker SKILL moments because essentially whoever smacks the puck into the net with their stick only ever makes it look like every other goal scored by some guy smacking the puck with his stick.

Essentially a goal is a goal whereas in our beautiful game there are all manner of different types of goal - a lob, a header, a tap in, a 30-yard screamer etc.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The bitterness and the early excuses - this is why we are just LOVING David pegging Goliath back.

Behave. USA won all their group games quite comfortably. Hardly David are they. The match has proved that these two are fairly evenly matched.

Come on Canada !

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm definitely really getting into it but if it isn't settled in the next ten minutes I shall miss the end as I'm still going to be switching over to Match of the Day 2

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sidney Crosby :yahoo:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bastards Canada win

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here