Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old pictures of Brighton

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Can anyone tell what was previously on the site that now sits the Thistle Hotel.

My mate has the fishmongers next door to the fisherman museum down on the promenade and trying to get a fix on where it is on the old photos.
I did go to the Thistle web site but just gives the address as Kings road without a number.

Two Victorian hotels and the entrance to Market Street. The hotels had become council offices by the time they were removed in the mid 1980s.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
jg_34_172.jpg

I remember that old stand to the left of the gate so it must have been around in the 70's. I recall that you could see in and I'm pretty sure it was unusable by the time I can recall it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just looking at those old images of Westdean and Dyke Road Avenue - you realise that even quite recently (up until the early 1960's) the whole iof that end of Dyke Road was very rural. Brighton must have been incredible before the sprawl of Westdean, Moulscombe etc etc made it much like any other town.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
so the road in front on the top one is Coombe Road I guess?

I think that could be Natal Road as it looks to be hitting Lewes Road where the barracks starts.

Lewes Road looks more like a dirt track than an A road.

The Coldean album is fascinating: the estate was pretty much fields until the 1950s - it's a reminder of how much of Brighton is unclaimed downland. And a sop to the likes of the Regency Society and the Falmer mob who think that city has somehow been preserved in aspic for a 100 years.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think that could be Natal Road as it looks to be hitting Lewes Road where the barracks starts.

Lewes Road looks more like a dirt track than an A road.

The Coldean album is fascinating: the estate was pretty much fields until the 1950s - it's a reminder of how much of Brighton is unclaimed downland. And a sop to the likes of the Regency Society and the Falmer mob who think that city has somehow been preserved in aspic for a 100 years.

yeah I suppose, it was just my gut reaction.

Its funny how the shape of the downs still gives you a feel or sense of recognition for where you are, in a lot of the photos, pre developments.

On another note I never knew there was another pub in Rottingdean where the car park is opposite the White Horse, knocked down in the 30's. It has shocked me, I have never heard it mentioned before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here