Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old pictures of Brighton

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yeah, I know The Regency Society opposed the stadium at Falmer, with their representative solicitor (her with the pudding basin haircut - remember her?) making some very bizarre contradictory statements about the migrating and travelling habits of regular football fans on their way to a match (e.g. they would be easily prepared to walk from Holland Road, Hove to Sheepcote Valley, but not walk from Churchill Square to Brighton Station), and therefore they smell of poo.

However, they host an amazing collection of pictures of Brighton from years gone by, courtesy of a fella called James Gray.

Enjoy...

The James Gray Collection

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No, Waitrose is where the cinema was. (racks brain to think what's next to it).

Isn't it the Halifax?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
strange I have just put some postcards in a frame that I found in Carmarthen market all four were from the 30's of the old Steine,war memorial,Madeira drive, and the south gate of the Pavillion all reminders of the places I used to meet my mates or girlfiends.

makes me proud to have been born in such a beautiful city

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
No, Waitrose is where the cinema was. (racks brain to think what's next to it).

Isn't it the Halifax?

Isn't that the cinema next door to it? I reckon that is the 'wine and beer' section of Waitrose.

edit: Plus the phone boxes - I'm sure of it.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
What a great collection.

it is that I have just spent an hour looking at the phot's of Lewes rd bookmarked the site and will spend a few hours having a look when I'v time.

great thread

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
jg_34_172.jpg

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Particularly in awe of the pictures showing the huge slum area near what is now Edward Street. That gene pool contains all my relatives! I can virtually smell 'em!!! Great Grandma and her rickets - bless 'em all.

Incidentally, fact fans, that area was the most densely populated place, outside of the East End of London, in England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here