Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Etonians' Annual Gaudy

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Great stuff already.

Attack those existing on benefits for being workshy from the main platform while fringe meetings can focus on producing the anti-gay bile...

Iain and Duncan Smith double act this afternoon to tell us all about the marvellous job being done on Work & Pensions.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Have they wheeled out the 15 year old ludicrously economically right-wing idiot yet? The one who is going to talk about how his mum had a 43rd floor council flat and never complained?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Etonians?? What is IDS doing there then (St. Peter's RC Secondary School - a coed comprehensive no less)? and when is Boris on?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Political debate can be interesting

Your comments don't encourage that, they sound bigoted

(and for those that need to, then look up the definition of bigot)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Political debate can be interesting

Your comments don't encourage that, they sound bigoted

(and for those that need to, then look up the definition of bigot)

Are you calling me a BIGOT? How very dare you!

(and no, I didn't need to 'look up the definition', thank you so much.)

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Are you calling me a BIGOT? How very dare you!

(and no, I didn't need to 'look up the definition', thank you so much.)

Not you good sir.

OP comments SOUND (if text can sound) as if they could have been posted by a bigot

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Young @Moshe Gariani is many things, but a bigot is not one of them.

I think he was trying to be funny, in a pithy sort of way.

I suspect he might not be completely open to the arguments a Tory may put forward, a condition that most people with political views of any persuasion can be guilty of.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Great stuff already.

Attack those existing on benefits for being workshy from the main platform while fringe meetings can focus on producing the anti-gay bile...

Iain and Duncan Smith double act this afternoon to tell us all about the marvellous job being done on Work & Pensions.

I think Duncan Smith is having trouble getting the tory faithful to believe all of the stuff he's coming out with.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Probably because he went to the wrong school :nono:
Quite likely.

I love this...

"...Alastair Campbell tweeted that “Osborne was nicknamed ‘Oik’ by his Etonian Bullingdon pals because he ‘only went to St Paul’s’” but the anecdote has a second part. When the Chancellor was at Oxford he joined an elite club that David Cameron had joined before him. As a new boy, ‘Oiky’ was held upside down by a fellow member. “What are you?” the Bullingdon bully roared. Every time he got the answer wrong, Osborne’s head hit the floor. After several wrong answers and some cranial bruising, so the legend goes, Osborne worked out the confession that would release him. “I am,” he cried, “a despicable c***.”

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Great stuff already.

You do talk some shite sometimes!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You do talk some shite sometimes!
Please point me at the shite. (The "great stuff already" line was obviously sarcastic).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I suspect he might not be completely open to the arguments a Tory may put forward, a condition that most people with political views of any persuasion can be guilty of.
Agreed. I'm afraid I am rather intolerant of old Tory toffs such as Gideon Osbourne and Call Me Dave.

I've seen and heard enough of the same old arguments to make up my mind who I'd rather be running the country and it isn't people like them.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Please get our dear Chancellor's name right- according to Britain's favourite propaganda rag his actual Christian name is Gideon but he changed it! Bit like Grant Shapps, who changed birthplace, name and qualifications to suit his purpose! Is anyone surprised? They were, after all, born to rule us plebs!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Probably not what this thread wants to hear but I have 2 mates who went to eton and 2 who went harrow and they are just normal boys and actually decent lads, both schools have changed a lot since the sort of :tosser: being talked about in this thread attended, just saying.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Probably not what this thread wants to hear but I have 2 mates who went to eton and 2 who went harrow and they are just normal boys and actually decent lads, both schools have changed a lot since the sort of :tosser: being talked about in this thread attended, just saying.
There have always been, and will always be, normal and decent products of public schools. There would be something hideously wrong if all of that opportunity and education didn't bring out the best in a proportion of people.

Unfortunately the sort of people who work their way to the top of the Tory party are not going to be in that number.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Have they wheeled out the 15 year old ludicrously economically right-wing idiot yet? The one who is going to talk about how his mum had a 43rd floor council flat and never complained?
They normally save that for Wednesday.

Francis Maude union bashing ticked off another square on "Tory Conference Bingo" today though...

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
If you look beyond the politcial mud slinging the only solution to reducing the housing benefit bill is as follows: build more affordable social housing; increase the minimum wage to a living wage so that people on low pay can afford rents in the areas in which they work; govt crack down on rougue landlords. Sadly the NIMBYS oppose the first and the second and third need a degree of govt intervention that this govt is idealogically opposed to. Osborne's proposals will result in more unemployment, homelessness and increased poverty which will of course add pressure to the very welfare bill he is trying to reduce. He seems not to realise that most under 25s do not have parents with a mansion in the Home Counties with spare bedrooms and plenty of jobs within public transport distance of the lodge gate.

We should remember that housing benefit is paid to the landlord and not to the tenant and the majority of people receiving the benefit are in work. If only Osborne will put as much effort into job creation and growing the econmoy as he does in demonising people unable to represent themselves we would all be better off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here