Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OK, so what ARE the other possible sites and why can't we build a stadium there?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Pende.htm

The challenge is open to you Large One is to find one single planning criterion why Pende is not a better site for a stadium than every single site in Britain. That should be too hard should it?

There is one major drawback: the political clout is not in. In this respect Falmer seems a clear leader. And political clout is the most important consideration. But if Prescott says no to Falmer, that all counts for nuthin'.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You really are brainless. Are you suggesting the club abandons its (what is it now? £2m?) input into Falmer in in order to look at your wet dreams? You are the single biggest threat to Falmer on NSC. The reason no-one has objected to it is because no-one has sought after using it. The sooner you shut up, the better.

There are swathes of land in Yorkshire, Lancashire, Staffordshire where a site might be ideal with no real objections. But I'll spell it out. Pende is not a consideration because it's in the wrong location. In the wrong town. In the wrong f***ing county.

'All we need is the political clout...' You penis. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Anyway, I rather like the idea of the runway extension. In order for Brighton to become a major international city, it needs a decent sized airport serving the city. And if it means the end of you and your incessant diatribes - a double whammy.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Somebody fuckin' died have they ?

Obviously not !

Politics is run on the shotgun principle. You gotta get up in a Public Inquiry and look down the barrel of a shotgun.

Pende is not put out as a threat, but as an alternative.

Get in straight in your head. The best fix is in. Is it the best solution ?

I have not the power. Nought anybody writes in the Argus or on this forum is goin' to make a shittin' difference.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Two facts:

1) A Dash-7 can't land at the planned new planned runway extension at Shoreham Airport. Therefore the plan is completed f***ed.

2) If we get thwe go-ahead for a 22,500 seater stadium at Falmer, there is no possibily of making it larger.

By my book, this are two facts that are hard to ignore.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Oh goodie, someone rattled Perseus' cage on the Pende plan. It was only a matter of time :lolol:

For the record, I think this would have been a good plan and may become a plan B if the unthinkable happens. BUT it isn't one of the 7 sites being considered so why are we arguing the toss over it?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
chips and gravy said:
BUT it isn't one of the 7 sites being considered so why are we arguing the toss over it?

And won't be eligible for consideration as another alternative for the simple reason that it IS NOT in Brighton & Hove and therefore fails the criteria laid out by the ODPM.

To be fair to Perseus I just think he is trying to point out that larger suitable and available sites are available if the club were to move out of the conurbation, as in his opinion a 22,000 seater stadium is too small. I don't personally concur with that opinion as I believe the club needs to be in either Brighton or Hove, and as for the capacity, well I've been supporting the Albion for the best part of 20 years and the biggest home crowd I've been a part of was about 17,000 when we got promoted to the old 2nd Division in the late 80's so I reckon the capacity will be sufficient; I'd rather be in a near-full stadium than a two-thirds full one any day. It is the average crowd you need to cater for really, not the one-off massive one.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Curious Orange said:
And won't be eligible for consideration as another alternative for the simple reason that it IS NOT in Brighton & Hove and therefore fails the criteria laid out by the ODPM.

To be fair to Perseus I just think he is trying to point out that larger suitable and available sites are available if the club were to move out of the conurbation, as in his opinion a 22,000 seater stadium is too small. I don't personally concur with that opinion as I believe the club needs to be in either Brighton or Hove, and as for the capacity, well I've been supporting the Albion for the best part of 20 years and the biggest home crowd I've been a part of was about 17,000 when we got promoted to the old 2nd Division in the late 80's so I reckon the capacity will be sufficient; I'd rather be in a near-full stadium than a two-thirds full one any day. It is the average crowd you need to cater for really, not the one-off massive one.

Agree with your quote Orange but still think we need to have the ability to expand the stadium if needed..I know thats jumping the gun abit ..ie lets just get a stadium first .. but a bit of foresight never goesa miss

Jeez. I'm 24 hours away from NSC and Percy gets out.

How can I put this plainly?

We are winning the Falmer argument. We will get a stadium at Falmer IF we can demonstrate that NO OTHER SITE IS SUITABLE AND AVAILABLE. If another suitable site is identified, the Albion will NOT get Falmer.

And if we don't get Falmer, we won't get anything for years and years and years.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ben's Grandad: the Pende thread is on

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30115

It is does not really matter. The same thing always happens with Planning Permissions like this. The developers (in case the Albion) will always proceeed to the Public Inquiry reconvening stage because of the work that has gone on before hand.

So it will get played out to the last minute.
Extra time would be a Judicial Review of Prescott says Yes.

The odds of the plan going through at the beginning were only about 75%. Now with all the problems and delays I would reckon it is about 50% based on the past record of developments. I have never known a development to go ahead after so many delays. However, Biscot Asylum Centre (with even more trouble) may turn out to be the first.

From my experience, the usual reason why such developments fail is because the bankers have a change of heart. This experience is usually supermarkets, the most contenscious of developments. These supermarkets would expect to go through eventually, usually in a different (better) place with the local public getting a planning gain (new swimming pool, park etc.).

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Percy-why don't you just shut the f*** up about Pende?

You know all the arguments against it

You also know the risk to Falmer by suggesting anything other than Falmer-you are a cyber arms dealer selling the NIMBYs weapons.

Shut the f*** up you twat!

Kryten

Dec 20, 2003
Here, there and every where
perseus said:
Two facts:

1) A Dash-7 can't land at the planned new planned runway extension at Shoreham Airport. Therefore the plan is completed f***ed.

2) If we get thwe go-ahead for a 22,500 seater stadium at Falmer, there is no possibily of making it larger.

By my book, this are two facts that are hard to ignore.

i thought we could increase the capacity at Falmer?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
If you can have Pende then we can have Newhaven! Not much wrong with the transport links! There is a railway station!

But I don't want it there. (Even though it would be handy for me) It MUST be in Brighton or Hove!!

Just as a side not I was in the new Tesco in Hove the other day. It's MASSIVE! was this site considered in the early days?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Curious Orange said:
But what you are basically saying is that this site can't be included in the re-opened Inquiry because it doesn't meet the ODPM's criteria of being in Brighton & Hove. So we don't need to consider it any further. End of story.
:bounce:

D

Deleted User X18H

CrabtreeBHA said:
new regulations inforce, those stations we're built donkeys ago!
London Road , Haywards Heath even Brighton
have staions within a mile of a tunnel new regulations my arse.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What I am saying is that the BANKERS should cost the feasibility of a multiple stadium complex at Pende without prejudicing against the chances of a stadium at Falmer.

I believe that the failure to do so would be a missed opportunity of making the Albion the leading football and multiple sports complex south of the Thames. i.e effectively making Brighton and Sussex the capital of the south coast (ahead of Southampton), reviving the prosperity of the whole Brighton & Hove conurbation in the national interest.

The reason why Pende was chosen (ahead of Falmer Village Way South or Waterhall) is because it is already zoned for sports/tourism/recreation, it is not AONB, because of the special tax exemption advantages of the land, because it is not public open space (just benign trespass).

My motives are:

1) To get the best football stadium possible.

2) Stop Pende being turned into a dump.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Do live in Shoreham or something Perseus? What have you got against Falmer? Apart from the jip in getting the place it's not a bad site. OK it's not as good as Waterhall etc but it's feasible.

We'll be able to get tanked up in Brighton or Lewes before the game and then it will be a short hop on a train to the ground. Granted we'll have to wait a bit for a train out of there but I'll be alright as I'll be travelling in the other direction to the vast majority!

Let's all get behind Falmer eh! There really is little point in harping on about another site that is miles away!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Have I said anything against Falmer, part from it being a slightly grotty area?

I would support a reincarnation of Falmer Village Way South is being better suited for expansion, slightly cheaper (might make a hell of a difference).

However, realistically because overt political (not environmental) moves by the downs lobby, I do not see it is a feasible proposal.

Within the parameters of the reconvened Public Inquiry, the introduction of VWS would be eligible.

We are paying a heck of a high premium over Falmer, paying off the University, shifting large amounts of soil, restrictive conditions on the use of the stadium, extra costs from park 'n ride, the loss of fans by not paying on the gate, loss of car parking income etc.

In the long term, the restricted size of the Falmer stadium, the limited opportunities to use any land leftover, will put as still at an unfair disadavantage to other clubs.

The only thing I am saying is to make a realistic appraisal of the possibility of both sites and see which one is best.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just to add my threepenny worth.

Following one of the rail crashes in the 90's, it was agreed as a recommendation that in future no stations may be built between two tunnels. This effectively means that there can be no "HALT" put in next to Waterhall.

Sorry Mr Hove Born and Bredthat is the facst unfortunately, although I am 100% convinced Waterhall would be the best site ( and I do know the reasons it cannot be there....fecking rediculous reasons they are too!!!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here