Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh Sh*t not Revell!!!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Man of Harveys said:
Rubbish - sadly, I'd say he's already contributed about as much as McPhee ever did in three games, plus he's getting fitter - he has looked knackered in the last 10-15 mins but after playing for Braintree, that's to be expected and I imagine will improve.

Now that is rubbish.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Certainly no gloating from me but I did argue that's it just wrong to slaughter him before he'd even kicked a ball for us. Some people had done that presumably because he wasn't the " household name" we were lead to believe we might sign. I stand by that. 6 games in and I think the verdict so far is that he's done ok. He's scored on a very impressive debut and looked the man most likely on a few occasions. He's being asked to play wide right which probably isn't his best position but has given opposition defences plenty to do when up against him. At the moment, he doesn't look the 20 goal+ man we need, but it's still early days. I would say he's doing better than Hart. Leave the boy alone - he's doing ok.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why is McGhee playing him out wide, when we need a target man???

I am at a loss to understand this

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Dies Irae said:

Good question. The boy has got an eye for goal, we need him down the middle.

larus

Dies Irae said:

That, me old mate, is a very easy (and apt) question.

The answer is a bit more difficult to ascertain.

I have to confess that although I sympathise with MM over availability of players, tactically, he does seem to like to experiment too muh, and replace players that are playing well. I have to admit that I am beginning to lose faith with him. :(

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If he managed to score so many goals for Braintree then at least he knows how to score 'em and where the goal is. Might it not be a good idea to find out what position he played there and in what kind of formation so that we could try to play to his strengths?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
goldstone said:
If he managed to score so many goals for Braintree then at least he knows how to score 'em and where the goal is. Might it not be a good idea to find out what position he played there and in what kind of formation so that we could try to play to his strengths?

Call me old fashioned or just being stupid, but would the scouts or MM known this prior to signing him?

goldstone said:
He did have games on the right for Braintree, McGhee referenced this in his justification for picking him there.

As for playing him down the middle at centre-forward, anyone able to confirm this worked on Saturday?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
This is exactly the argument put for CKR

At Bury he played in the hole behind a striker or two ... and to be perfectly frank that is where he looked best for us on the few occasions McGhee played him there ....

we seem to have too many cases of players not being played in their best position - Reid and Harty are often good cases in point

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
He did have games on the right for Braintree, McGhee referenced this in his justification for picking him there.

As for playing him down the middle at centre-forward, anyone able to confirm this worked on Saturday?

Its difficultto tell as it was much more of a 51 rather than a 33. Seemed quite similar though, workman like, a few nice touches and the odd bit of link up play. He was just to isolated to really tell though. By the time Jakey came on to give him a hand he looked f***ed.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He's looked much better on the right than as a target man.... I guess that's why he's played there.

Put him in the centre and the fans will be writing him off after a handful of games if he's not scoring goals. Put him wider, and he actually gets a chance to get up to speed with a league side before the usual suspects get on his back.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Choccy should be in the centre with Coxy on the right and Jakey on the left of a 3 prolonged attack.

trueblue said:
He's looked much better on the right than as a target man.... I guess that's why he's played there.

Put him in the centre and the fans will be writing him off after a handful of games if he's not scoring goals. Put him wider, and he actually gets a chance to get up to speed with a league side before the usual suspects get on his back.

:D Yep

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here