Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh My God

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You may well be right Danny

Apparently November is the worst month of the year for car accidents.

Take care everybody. (including me travelling down south tomorrow morning)

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Awful news but I am impressed at how many here say sticking to speed limit is what we should do. and that speed cameras are ok.
I know I try and stay within the limits but it can be difficult if you stop concentrating or have an open road ahead or get someone pushing you to go faster from behind. Is it me or are women becoming more aggressive in their driving. Sorry ladies if not so but that's how it seems to me. Had a woman right on my rear bumper all the way along A259 today from Seaford into Brighton. I could not go any faster as traffic was solid ahead but she kept pushing and pushing. Of course when we got to the 2 speed cams she drops right back then charges up again.

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
There is a speed camera on that road.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Camera positioning seems to be all about making money, not saving lives. Fining motorists for going 70-odd on a dual carriageway doesn't save lives, but stories like this really makes you wonder.

I went to Brighton Uni and know that stretch of road, it is very dicey. I used to hate turning right out of Mithras House, it was always a risky manoeuvre cos people really belt along.

DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Nasty accident in Saltdean this evening as well.

From what I saw it didn't actually look as bad as we first thought. Looked more like a three car shunt than anything.

Most unfortunate thing about it was being stuck next to you on the bus for half an hour. :ohmy: (Oh yeah, and getting home at 19:00. Grrr.)

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
HampshireSeagull said:
Berkshire, the ppl weren't crossing the road. The guy lost control and ppl on the pavement were hit from what I've read. Don't be stupid and claim that speeding isn't to blame. If there were more cameras, drivers wouldn't speed, and accidents like this wouldn't happen. Very bad timing to blame pedestrians for accidents like this.
Yeah i no in this case,but just stating its not always the drivers fault.

This one is a tragedy or a careless driver or a dodgy car mmm:nono:

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Don't know if anyone else out there has ever had a kid at Young Sussex nursery but a nurse who looked after my lad for a while was killed a few weeks back in Portland Road. Still see my 2 year old being cuddled by her and it makes me shiver. A guy was arrested for causing death by dangerous driving. Some of me thinks shoot the twat but then again perhaps it is punishment enough that he will live with the guilt for the rest of his life!

berkshire seagull said:
Speed cameras are for making money not for saving lives!!!:nono:
Most accidents are by twats who have nicked a car or its not in there name and careless drivers.

And not forgetting its also the people who don't look when crossing a road that get a share of the blame.

If you think speed cameras will solve the problem your wrong very wrong.:nono:

Sorry Berks but that is quite frankly bullshit. Most accidents are caused by arseholes who overestimate their ability to control 2 tonnes of lethal killing machine. You get behind a car wheel, you ARE in control of other peoples lives. If you do not have the responsibilty to abide by speed limits get the f*** out and WALK.

You speed, you WILL kill someone. Live by that mantra and perhaps tragic incidents like the one described will not happen.

It is not a human right to drive and perhaps if more speeding wankers had their licences taken off them and were made to attend incidents like the one described we may all be safer.:(

Sorry Berks, I think you are wrong on this one.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I have to stick for Berkshire on this one.

If I set off at 4am tomorrow morning and do 90 mph on the M1 (which will be empty) then I won't kill anyone. Of course if it is frosty or foggy, then I wouldn't do that speed.

In built up areas I always keep below 30. Speed cameras are put in areas where there are no pedestrians like the A1 at Elketon (just north of Newark) where the speed limit is 50 (unlike the rest of the A1 where it is 70) for about 3 miles. It is dual carriageway and no reason whatsoever for reducing the speed limit in that area but that someone has decided it should be so.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
readingstockport said:
Most accidents are caused by arseholes who overestimate their ability to control 2 tonnes of lethal killing machine.

But not all accidents.

Some are caused by pedestrians.

A mate of mine killed a drunk who stepped in front of his car without looking. Whether he was slightly over the speed limit or not would not have mattered in this case.

He went through a lengthy court case which pretty much f***ed up his life.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
fatboy said:
But not all accidents.

Some are caused by pedestrians.

A mate of mine killed a drunk who stepped in front of his car without looking. Whether he was slightly over the speed limit or not would not have mattered in this case.

He went through a lengthy court case which pretty much f***ed up his life.

Ned didn't have to go to court when the oap stepped out in front of him.
Having said that, two witnesses said that the pedestrian had stepped out without looking. So the police knew he wasn't to blame.

All we had to do was attend a coroner's inquest.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
As a side point to this and before anyone says it i'm not blaming anyone but the speeding car forr this incident as I drove past just as the ambulance got there and it wasn't pretty and was obvious the person wasn't crossing the road.

I drive along that road regularly well below the speed limit but it is amazing how many people cross the road just in front of you without looking properly, what makes it worse is that in the evenings when they do it you can't see them till your right up close cos everyone wears dark clothes, even if you were doing 20 you would still hit them if they decided to walk out in front of you.

There are pedestrian crossings for a reason.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Gordon the Gopher said:
Don't know if anyone else out there has ever had a kid at Young Sussex nursery but a nurse who looked after my lad for a while was killed a few weeks back in Portland Road. Still see my 2 year old being cuddled by her and it makes me shiver. A guy was arrested for causing death by dangerous driving. Some of me thinks shoot the twat but then again perhaps it is punishment enough that he will live with the guilt for the rest of his life!

One nurse died and the other two were taken to hospital. One had both legs amputated, the other had one leg amputated. These girls are friends of a friend and it's all pretty terrible and tragic. My friend has been visiting them in hospital. Very sad.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
readingstockport said:
Sorry Berks but that is quite frankly bullshit. Most accidents are caused by arseholes who overestimate their ability to control 2 tonnes of lethal killing machine. You get behind a car wheel, you ARE in control of other peoples lives. If you do not have the responsibilty to abide by speed limits get the f*** out and WALK.

You speed, you WILL kill someone. Live by that mantra and perhaps tragic incidents like the one described will not happen.

It is not a human right to drive and perhaps if more speeding wankers had their licences taken off them and were made to attend incidents like the one described we may all be safer.:(

Sorry Berks, I think you are wrong on this one.

Top post, totally agree on this one. It's not about having to pay a fine, it's about saving lives. People die in accidents in all walks of life, however speeding can be controlled so people dying as a result of speed need not happen.

Every 5mph increase in speed dramaticaly increases the stopping distance required to prevent an accident.

Cars should be seen as a means of transport which is all they are, not status symbols or vehicles with which to impersonate formula 1 drivers.

glosterseagull

Oct 2, 2003
I agree with Yorkie; but this is a very emotive issue. I think DRINK driving is the Killer.

I do travel fast...but not in town

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Kent Seagull said:
Cars should be seen as a means of transport which is all they are, not status symbols or vehicles with which to impersonate formula 1 drivers.

Should ban BMWs then.

For my part I believe that the police do see motorists as an easy target. The moment they were allowed to keep the revenue from speed cameras things changed. Initially cameras were in accident black spots and places to slow drivers to a safe limit. Now they are where they can make the most money. There is no greater demonstration of this than the police in wales knicking over a dozen rally drivers last year. These are some of the best drivers in the world in cars that can stop quicker than anyother but do not have proper speedometers.
That said, if you get caught by one then you are breaking the law and it is your own fault. I would like to say that I do not speed anymore and this is down to two things. Firstly being cautioned for doing 38 along the seafront about three years ago and secondly after having an accident about two years back. It things like this that change your style of driving, not someone sticking a camera in the road.

Brady's Old Lady

Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Pavilionaire said:
Camera positioning seems to be all about making money, not saving lives. Fining motorists for going 70-odd on a dual carriageway doesn't save lives, but stories like this really makes you wonder.

I went to Brighton Uni and know that stretch of road, it is very dicey. I used to hate turning right out of Mithras House, it was always a risky manoeuvre cos people really belt along.

I used to live in a village on the Beds/bucks border. There was a speed trap just as you left the village where there was no residential property, just a factory set back about 50 yards, and the road widened so you tended to speed up. A friend worked for a local garage that leased cars, and she said the council made a fortune. Of course once everybody got used to it being there it played right into the hands of the mongrel f:censored: kwits with their go fast stripes and carlos fandango wheels who could creep past the speed trap, and then ramp it up to about 70 as they drove past the school my kids went to, which was half a mile up the road!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here