Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh dear - it would appear the Greens council tax increase has been defeated !!!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What a shame :lol:

I watched some of the webcast of the meeting and have to say Jason Kitkat is a complete moronic idiot. At least Bill Randell was able to speak intelligently and in a measured way.

Bye bye Greens !

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Kitcat is an idiot. Pre-election "cuts are wrong" post election "savings are needed" Oh how politicians change language when they're in power. Lord Bassam destroyed him in a debate over twitter.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The sooner the Greens are booted out of office the better. Complete f**king idiots. Roll on the next local elections!

Sent from Pippa Middleton's lingerie drawer.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
The sooner the Greens are booted out of office the better. Complete f**king idiots. Roll on the next local elections!

What he said...can't believe people actually voted for them! Bunch of complete clowns with no concept of reality when it comes to running the City!!!!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Blame registered students, the general elections the Greens hung onto students votes hoping to drag them along. Look at their stood seats, all major student populations. Their 2011 Green conference was in Sheffield Hallam constituency because it's Nick Clegg's seat, and hot with students. I asked her about this when she came to Varndean and openly said yes. Not a serious political party.

The national front of course, on the other hand....

I kid.

If the Greens are right, and a council tax freeze this year means BIGGER cuts in 2013, it will be interesting to see how they handle that. If they are sensible, they'll need to cosy up to the other parties and work towards more co-operation.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
If the Greens are right, and a council tax freeze this year means BIGGER cuts in 2013, it will be interesting to see how they handle that. If they are sensible, they'll need to cosy up to the other parties and work towards more co-operation.

Judging by both the Labour and Tory speeches tonight I can't see either party wanting to "side" with them !

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Sense yet again has been thrown out of the window for quick fixes I see. For a while I thought there was a positive future in Brighton & Hove, but no, the fucktards are back siding with each other. I work for the Greens, and so far they're a breath of fresh air.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Judging by both the Labour and Tory speeches tonight I can't see either party wanting to "side" with them !

No - because as ever these two f***ing parties are more concerned about regaining power than doing whats f***ing right for the people of this city!!! Trade unions, an independent enquiry and even some Tory councils across the country have agreed Eric Pickles is trying to bribe councils with his £3million and we will find this out over the next three years when Council Tax rises by 10%+ - DON'T SAY YOU HAVEN'T BEEN WARNED!!! The cynicism of Gill Mitchell and her Labour group is beyond belief and I will NEVER vote Labour again!!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
he greens haven't got a clue and only care for the swampys anyway

What he said...can't believe people actually voted for them! Bunch of complete clowns with no concept of reality when it comes to running the City!!!!

The level of political 'debate' on here is sometimes so high it leaves my flabber-absolutely-gasted!! Please f*** off you brain-dead morons - we are talking about peoples jobs, homes and futures!!!

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
No - because as ever these two f***ing parties are more concerned about regaining power than doing whats f***ing right for the people of this city!!! Trade unions, an independent enquiry and even some Tory councils across the country have agreed Eric Pickles is trying to bribe councils with his £3million and we will find this out over the next three years when Council Tax rises by 10%+ - DON'T SAY YOU HAVEN'T BEEN WARNED!!! The cynicism of Gill Mitchell and her Labour group is beyond belief and I will NEVER vote Labour again!!

Well they did the right thing here in defeating the greens council tax increase. and as said above roll on the by elections and get rid of the greens for good.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'd quite happily pay much council tax. I've already forked out the difference paying the council things that I got included under the last regime.

You don't get something for nothing and whilst the "lowest council tax in the country" sounds enticing, the reality is quite different. It's a political con.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

I haven't been warned.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Oh great, the paying less tax must be a good thing goons are out in force. You realise this will lead to a massive hike in a couple of years time?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Oh great, the paying less tax must be a good thing goons are out in force. You realise this will lead to a massive hike in a couple of years time?

Not necessarily - for starters any increase over 3.5% would require the council to go to the polls and I doubt very much many people would vote for an increase bigger than 3.5%.

The Greens were out witted last night. They could easily save the money in other ways - for starters by not re-painting the citys cark parks. Kitcats speech was remarkable - trying to paint himself as the leader of some rebel alliance fight a just cause. He in fact came across as a complete tool - quite how anyone would vote for him astounds me.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Not necessarily - for starters any increase over 3.5% would require the council to go to the polls and I doubt very much many people would vote for an increase bigger than 3.5%.

The Greens were out witted last night. They could easily save the money in other ways - for starters by not re-painting the citys cark parks. Kitcats speech was remarkable - trying to paint himself as the leader of some rebel alliance fight a just cause. He in fact came across as a complete tool - quite how anyone would vote for him astounds me.

Painting the car parks and painting himself. Green I presume.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good news for the (non-council working) VAST majority pop'n of the City.
That's one monthly bill that won't be going up for hard pressed families, pensioners, etc.

If, in a year or two's time, Council staffing is reduced, so be it. A shrinkage in government at any level is not a bad thing.
And no, it doesn't need to be teachers or vital front line jobs. Hopefully, management, or perhaps the phalanx of suits at the many council offices will take a tiny pay cut?

The Brighton Green Party tried to make a political point, and lost, to the benefit of homeowners/tenants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here