Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh dear, I think I could be a racist

Dr Feelgood said:
I vote Conservative so that's me branded a racist in the eyes of some on here.

The new Conservative party vice-chair Sayeeda Warsi has argued that Muslims are right to be offended by the "Mohammed as terrorist" cartoons.

She has also called for Blair to hold talks with Islamic extremist groups http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4695797.stm

This is the changing face of Cameron's Conservative Party, hope it's to your liking, fella :)

Last edited:

Simster said:
London Irish isn't good enough to play for the Albion I'm afraid.

Now just because Bozza didn't want you at the awards dinner, there is no need to get in a huff with me :lolol:

bhaexpress said:
Saw this on the BBC. Once again Moslems (not Hindus, not Sikhs, not Buddists and certainly not Christians) want British Law changed as they don't like it. Well if you don't like it go and live ina Moslem country as I can just see such a place changing its laws as say Hindus don't like it..

From the BBC

It's part of our democratic rights as citizens to campaign peacefully for changes to our laws. People who do that shouldn't have to face deportation threats, bhaexpress.

The Muslim Action Committee are wrong to argue for the extension to blasphemy laws, in fact the ones we have on the statute books covering Christianity should be abolished so all religions are treated equally in this country.

However, the MAC has a very good point about the Press Complaints Committee code of conduct being looked at.

I'm a great believer in the press regulating itself rather than the state doing it, it is the best way of ensuring freedom of the press.

But it is also worth making the point that the British press did not touch the anti-Muslim cartoons with a bargepole, unlike the grossly irresponsible newspapers in Denmark and surrounding countries. Our standards are higher.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They have a right to demand a change in the law. If my mother demanded a change in the law, should she be extradited to Wales?

This is par of the course for an evolving multicultural society. We don't want to end up like France, banning Sikhs headresses and refusing to recognise "ethnic monorities" as a minority.

They are part of our society, whether you like it or not and have just the same rights.

Are they intent on stirring up more trouble, though??? They are playing into the hands of the people that published these pictures and the pressure groups.

Last edited:

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Juan Albion said:
Why waste the bullets? Gas chambers should be cheaper.

I can't believe that you wrote that...

PS gas is going up by 25% soon

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This is the changing face of Cameron's Conservative Party, hope it's to your liking, fella :) [/B][/QUOTE]
More's to the point, hope it's to your liking, fella:)

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Re: Re: Oh dear, I think I could be a racist

London Irish said:
It's part of our democratic rights as citizens to campaign peacefully for changes to our laws. People who do that shouldn't have to face deportation threats, bhaexpress.

The Muslim Action Committee are wrong to argue for the extension to blasphemy laws, in fact the ones we have on the statute books covering Christianity should be abolished so all religions are treated equally in this country.

However, the MAC has a very good point about the Press Complaints Committee code of conduct being looked at.

I'm a great believer in the press regulating itself rather than the state doing it, it is the best way of ensuring freedom of the press.

But it is also worth making the point that the British press did not touch the anti-Muslim cartoons with a bargepole, unlike the grossly irresponsible newspapers in Denmark and surrounding countries. Our standards are higher.

Yeah Right. Its only the fact that they remember the Salmon Rushdie business and are shit scared of looney Muslims.What does that say about the freedom of our press.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Here we go again. :lolol:

chicken run said:
More's to the point, hope it's to your liking, fella:)

Bizzarely enough, it is. It's great that the Tories are trying to confront Muslimophobia by pushing Warsi out as their spokesman on the cartoon controversy, they are now actually to the left of some of the law-and-rhetoric from the Blairite morons.

Shame though that Warsi is a homophobe and opposed the scrapping of Section 28. But this is the Tory party, you can't have tolerance for everyone :lolol: - hopefully Cameron'll push out Alan Duncan when it comes to gay issues and keep her quiet :)

Last edited:

Re: Re: Re: Oh dear, I think I could be a racist

H block said:
Yeah Right. Its only the fact that they remember the Salmon Rushdie business and are shit scared of looney Muslims.What does that say about the freedom of our press.

No - even Rebecca Wade thinks it's wrong to scapegoat the vast majority of law-abiding Muslims :)

E

enigma

Simster said:
Frank has done us a service. It might prevent twatty lighting the fuse by quoting this particluar article on here, followed by placky, enigma, their BMP bum-chums and looney highjacking the board.

Hold your horses, Im not even left wing! Im just not a redneck like Oceanic, Looney etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Re: Re: Re: Re: Oh dear, I think I could be a racist

London Irish said:
No - even Rebecca Wade thinks it's wrong to scapegoat the vast majority of law-abiding Muslims :)

Rebecca Wade...................... hardly going to respest the opinion of a women who only won 1 wimbledon title.
Why Yvonne Goolagong has openly stated that she feels that the British press have had their influence curtailed by their fear of upsetting extreme religious factions............ so there

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I'm glad i'm in ROME on the 18th of Feb, that looks like its going to be a right KICK-OFF.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
If you make allowances for one groups feelings wheres it all going to end?

Dont blame the mainstream press for not abusing a religion as its not the done thing here. But a public school boy rag like Private eye would be an exception though.

Ive done my first Mohammed cartoon.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BarrelofFun said:
They have a right to demand a change in the law. If my mother demanded a change in the law, should she be extradited to Wales?

Your right, noone deserves that.

I think you have to respect their religious beliefs. However I do get very confused by British Muslims (not all of them) who appear to have a deep disliking for traditional European values.

Personally I feel they are all as bad as each other, the racists who use the extremists actions as a means to stir up racial hatred and the extremists who use a cartoon as an excuse to incite hatred against non-muslim europeans.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Some Muslims gather to campaign for a change in the law around religion.

Some pensioners gather to campaign for a change in Council Tax law.

Some men gather to campaign for changes in family law.

Some random set of people gather to campaign for cahnges in animal welfare laws.

I see no differences in these scenarios. This is what democracy is all about, being able to campaign and lobby regarding laws that you wish to see changed. That's not to say that these laws should or will be changed, but lobbying by such groups is part of a healthy plural democracy.

The ironic thing is that most of the people who seem to be up in arms about this probably support Tony and George's war as it has brought democracy to the Iraqis. democracy only when it suits you eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here