Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
World Cup Live
Tuesday 06 July
7:00pm - 9:30pm
ITV1 London

Netherlands v Uruguay

Could this be the year the tournament goes orange? The Dutch have been quietly making progress all the way through this World Cup, until a little luck, a steadfast display and some Robben trickery got them past Brazil. Now they face another South American team, yet Uruguay have punched above their weight to get this far. And now they're missing Luis Suarez, the striker who punched the ball off the line. Which leaves Diego Forlan, an outstanding forward and team-player, to carry the side's hopes forward. Between them, the pair have scored six out of Uruguay's seven goals - three each. Holland have players of similarly rich talent in Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben and, potentially, Robin Van Persie. Robben is unquestionably in for some special treatment and Uruguay's uncompromising side will be in evidence. Expect the Dutch to nose ahead thanks to superior attacking prowess.

My View: Holland were my second tip for the World Cup after Portugal, so I expect them to comfortably beat the South Americans without Suarez. It might be uncomfortable for the first ten minutes, but then it will be a question of when will the Dutch score, and then how many. Par 2-0.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I'm convinced Holland will lose, they have won the game no-one expected them to (Brazil) and will lose the big game where they are favourites. Penalties I reckon.

I stuck £20 on Uruguay to progress, so if they do, I win £50, if not, Holland are in the World Cup Final:

:vuvu2:
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
:vuvu2:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
basel8.jpg

Look out for the Dutch idiots taking over the Albert tonight...last time we did this in public we lost 3-1 to Russia...:)

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez believes the pressure is all on Holland when they play their World Cup semi-final in Cape Town tonight.

The Dutch, with big stars such as Robin van Persie, Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder, have been a football nation of underachievers since they reached back-to-back World Cup finals in 1974 and 1978.

And while Uruguay have won the trophy twice, in 1930 and 1950, Tabarez said: "The Dutch side will feel the burden of expectation far more than us. No-one really believes in us and the possibility we might win.

"We have to enjoy the World Cup and the match, make the most of it, because we know millions will be watching these players. This is a challenge, but also a reason for great happiness."

Holland won all eight of their qualifying matches and have a 100 per cent record in five matches in South Africa, including knocking out Brazil 2-1 in the quarter-final.

Tabarez believes the key to his team's success is keeping Robben under control, although he rejected suggestions that the Bayern Munich star is a 'diver.'

"He's a great footballer," said Tabarez. "He's very fast, very nimble, very long strides. When he shifts his body, it's difficult to react.

"With Robben back, this Holland side benefits greatly. They were already very good without him, but now they have him contributing as well.

"Like any footballer who is hit on the pitch, well, I wouldn't say he is a cheat. These are things that happen in football. It's up to the referee to determine the players' intentions."

Tabarez admits Uruguay have not played brilliantly at this World Cup but still dreams of the South Americans returning to former glories, even if they are hampered by the attraction of Europe's money-laden leagues.

SportingLife | World Cup 2010 in South Africa | News | Tabarez maintains underdog status

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Holland

HOLLAND

1. Maarten Stekelenburg
12. Khalid Boulahrouz
3. Johnny Heitinga
4. Joris Mathijsen
5. Giovanni Van Bronckhorst
6. Mark Van Bommel
14. Demy De Zeeuw
11. Arjen Robben
10. Wesley Sneijder
7. Dirk Kuyt
9. Robin van Persie

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Uruguay

URUGUAY

1. Nestor Fernando Muslera
16. Victorio Maxi Pereira
3. Diego Godin
6. Mauricio Victorino
22. Martin Caceres
15. Diego Perez
5. Walter Gargano
17. Egidio Arevalo Rios
11. Alvaro Pereira
7. Edinson Cavani
10. Diego Forlan

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think par is

Holland 2 Uruguay 0

I think this will be the result. Uruguay at 5/1 is generous.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Ex BBC:

Contributor: BBC Sport's Chris Bevan
"Quite a few English flags here as well - representing Port Vale, Birmingham City and Brighton to name but three of the teams. You might remember this was 'meant' to be a Brazil-England semi-final.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Uruguay's manager has hair that looks alarmingly like it was modelled on Terry Wogan's :ohmy:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Ex BBC:

Contributor: BBC Sport's Chris Bevan
"Quite a few English flags here as well - representing Port Vale, Birmingham City and Brighton to name but three of the teams. You might remember this was 'meant' to be a Brazil-England semi-final.

f*** that, the Brighton flags are there in support of the MANY Uruguayans on the pitch tonight who'll be playing their football at Withdean next season for the mighty Gus

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
:goal:

Holland 1 Uruguay 0

:clap2:

Giovanni Van Bronckhorst

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Where did THAT come from? :ohmy: