Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official thread for the people who hate Uruguay

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The difference between tonite and 1986 is that Maradona should have been disallowed and maradona sent off...

Uruguay got their player sent off and a penalty awarded as is the rules.

talking of 86 doesnt anyone remember how uraguay went on in 1986. probably the dirtiest side ever to grace an international tournament.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm surprised so many people at advocating the hand ball and then saying it's Ghana's fault for missing the pen. Ghanascored in the 120th minute. They had the ball heading for the back of the net but someone cheated. It's not the same as hacking someone down when they're through on goal as they still have to beat the keeper. This was a certain goal and it was taken away from them. To then say they had a penalty to win it so it's their fault is bollocks. The pressure on Gyan to make African history was immense, and after they'd scored a perfectly good goal just adds more pressure. Would guarantee if it happened to England/Brighton the reaction would be far different

Ghana didn't score. The defender handled the ball on the line to stop the goal. He was given the appropriate punsihment for that offence.

If the ref hadn't seen it and he'd got away with it I'd agree with the witch hunt and it would be cheating. He got caught and the ref did his job so it isn't cheating.

I know that sounds strange but that is how football works, if you look at it any other way then the rules don't work and everything should be considred cheating i.e any foul, any handball.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Cheating scum! Should not be allowed to go though.
get over it princess, Ghana were only there because Kewell got a red card after 25 minutes, kind of poetic justice to go out like that - I'd have put my house on Cyan tucking it away in the corner through....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I thought the ball was going straght towards his head and he could of headed it off the line? I guess it is unsportsman like conduct however if Ghana had scored there wouldnt be a problem, they didnt.

Is it as bad as diving or trying to take someone out of the game? nah.

I would have dropped Walton for Thomas after that save, amazing.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
That's a good point, I wonder if he'd already decided to save the ball whatever happened, because it was the last minute of ET.

I have a feeling he was behind the goal line which was why he stuck his hands out.

Still can't believe all this bollocks about cheating, things like this have happened in teams I've played in over the years. As someone above has said if he hadn't been caught then Ghana would rightly be aggrieved, but he was punished, sent off, and Ghana given a chance with what was the last kick of the game to win it. They didn't take it, and nor did they take the opportunity during the penalty shot out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here