Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't mean to kick a man while he's down, but I think its pretty likely it was over-use. Plantar fasciitis is a classic injury of that type - a slow and gradual over-use leads to increasing inflammation and tightness. Eventually you reach a tipping point and it gets very sore - in your case the additional stress of finishing a long run with a higher pace.

As someone who's had a lot of running injuries, I recognise this pattern. You've ramped up from not much at all to a pretty hefty mileage of 40 odd a week with no rest weeks and 33 days in a row - that's a lot of training load, even for people with years of consistent running in the bank.

Once its settled you'll need to get back into it slowly; start with low mileage and don't add more that 10% a week to your weekly time on your feet of the distance of your longest run. Have rest days and plan the training as slow and progressive overload.

Running is the most unforgiving sport for not managing training load carefully - I've got 2 hip tears, a cruciate ligament and medial ligament that can attest to that!

Spot on, sadly. Any decent coach worth his salt will tell you rest days are as important as hard training days...

Anyway, you're already on the recovery path, hopefully won't be too long.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
OK, I will wear the green/black stripe away shirt. How about a pre run meet at the lawns end of the cafe as you say and meet there afterwards as well? 7 to 7:15 for the start? What do you think NSC entrants?

Sounds good to me. I'll look out for the green and black stripes :albion2:

Anyone got a good idea of the weather? This wind needs to die down a bit!

I'll be there about 7. Bright blue technical top, black shorts, tall baldy. Will have the Skint classic away kit to change in to after.

BBC app is normally ok. At the moment saying wet during the day but dry by 7pm, 19 degrees with a 10mph Westerly. Running in to that gale yesterday morning was a bitch so equally hoping it dies down.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I am aiming to arrive about 7pm. Will have the old luminous green away socks and shorts on. Not sure on the top yet, depends on the weather.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'll be there about 7. Bright blue technical top, black shorts, tall baldy. Will have the Skint classic away kit to change in to after.

BBC app is normally ok. At the moment saying wet during the day but dry by 7pm, 19 degrees with a 10mph Westerly. Running in to that gale yesterday morning was a bitch so equally hoping it dies down.

Well, at least the second 5k will be a bit easier! Maybe...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'll be there just after 7. Weather improving and wind speeds forecast around 7mph which isn't bad for Hove seafront.

Looking forward to a drink afterwards in the Better Half.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I have just registered for my free photos and apparently they will be posted on my Facebook page. Not so joyous news for me and my friends as my snapshots at the Worthing 10k finish line could easily have been sub titled "enormous baldy on verge of death gets overtaken on the line".

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Great- see you all there. Will aim for 7 but dependent on southern getting me back from London, may be a last minute dash to the start line. Usual BHA shorts on for me.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Wind for tonight will die down to a 5 mph westerly at 7pm reducing to 4 mph at 8pm ideal conditions for pb's with no sunshine forecast.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Wind for tonight will die down to a 5 mph westerly at 7pm reducing to 4 mph at 8pm ideal conditions for pb's with no sunshine forecast.

Ideal conditions. I may have a crack at the sub 30 for the course record. If the shoes proove not up to it I will go for a sub 44, be happy sub 45 and have excuses for anything over.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I have no idea if my knee will hold out but I have just set the virtual pacer for 4:55 per km on my Garmin given that forecast. I set it for 5.00 at Worthing but only maintained that for the first 4. However it was bloomin hot and I've had another month's worth of training since.

Realistically would be happy to break 52 mins for another PB.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good luck all of you doing the 10k tonight. Wish I was joining you (LOL, haven't done a measured 10k since about 1998)

Slowly getting back into things after a crappy month following SDW100 failure and a minor calf niggle that has cost me a couple of weeks training. Almost 30 miles last week and will probably hit about 40 this week, and then got Lunar-Tic marathon on 25th.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have no idea if my knee will hold out but I have just set the virtual pacer for 4:55 per km on my Garmin given that forecast. I set it for 5.00 at Worthing but only maintained that for the first 4. However it was bloomin hot and I've had another month's worth of training since.

10 seconds a kilometre is the difference between success and failure for my 5ks. 4" km would give me a yet to get back to sub 20 but 4"10 gives a disappointing 20"50. 4:05 is achievable pace for me at 5k.

However, for the 10k I can't keep that pace up and would have to go slower at the beginning and up the pace at 6-7k and go for gold just after 8k.

This evening I am not going for a max time (unless I see any of you lot just in front or on my heels) and plan to do a 4'30 first 5k and then hope to enjoy the second half with plenty of overtaking. 21:30 for that will give me my target.

The variables are: the west wind strength, recovery from 4 days at Cardiff Test and how much it hurts.

Adrenaline is starting to build up already................

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Rising up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive

So many times it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger……..

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

You've just reminded me to try the pace function on my TomTom Runner. I set it for a minimum of 7 and maximum of 7:20 minute miles for my lunchtime run... and then like a goon I failed to understand the graphic on the watch and ended up running most of the run too quick! Still, I got stopped by traffic at one point and then failed to properly stop the watch at the end of the run for about 10 seconds so that ended up knocking my average down to 7 minutes per mile - which was what I was aiming for, as that is about my race pace for a half marathon.

Good luck everyone who is doing the 10k tonight... I sort of wish I was doing it too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Rising up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive

So many times it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger……..

Official Boxing thread.....?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Don’t burst my bubble Dazzer!… I need all the motivation I can get to keep up with the NSC Gazelles

Who do you think you are kidding, Mr Hitler?
When you think we are on the run.....

I reckon you will easily go sub 40 this evening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here