Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Thanks. Bests were 16.50/36.50/1.20 so I feel like I can get close to them if I stay injury free.

I'm training for a triathlon and I think the cross training really helps, as well as stopping me from pushing the running too quickly.

I notice you are getting some impressive mileages in!

Cheers. Yeah I'm quite fortunate that I live just 10 miles or so from work.. So I can rack up up the miles for a few months during the week and add a long hilly/road 20-30 mile run at 8:50 ish pace Sunday morning.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Similar idea - posterior chain, use glute and hamstrings to drive back, minimise up and down movement.

Good things was how to change these things as you can't just go it and decide to do it, it needs to be subconscious.

Agreed - I did a Chi full day workshop, and have had a couple of 1:1 sessions as refreshers. Key seems to be high cadence (pitter-patter, not lumbering strides), midfoot strike, centre of gravity ahead of knees, leaning forward and keeping ankles, back and neck in a line. When it is flowing well, feels like you're floating along.........

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Mine was osteitis pubis and an associated stress fracture in the hip. No running at all for 6 months, then tore two calf muscles in quick succession when I re-started. Frustrating as hell. Started properly end November 14 so still very early days but 3rd marathon this year tomorrow and averaging 50 miles a week in 2015, plus two 5k PBs. SDW50 in 3 weeks time will be a real test.

Oo good luck with sdw50..Did that last year, great fun!..lost all energy at 35 miles, my legs just felt like led and had a dodgy tummy.. I think I eat too much at housedean farm..but after 40 miles I recovered and finished within my target time.

A Japanese runner got lost last year onthe sdw50. He turned left instead of right coming down from housedean farm and ran all the way to Lewes, before asking for directions to get back to the checkpoint and the SD way... Haha He must of added at 6/7 miles! Just rember, the sea is always on your right!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oo good luck with sdw50..Did that last year, great fun!..lost all energy at 35 miles, my legs just felt like led and had a dodgy tummy.. I think I eat too much at horseden farm..but after 40 miles I recovered and finished within my target time.

A Japanese runner got lost last year onthe sdw50. He turned left instead of right coming down from horsden farm and ran all the way to Lewes, before asking for directions to get back to the checkpoint and the SD way... Haha He must of added at 6/7 miles! Just rember, the sea is always on your right!!!

Sounds familiar. I did L2B a couple of years ago and ate way too much at half way, then felt sick for about 5 hours.........I think I am OK with directions on the SDW, have run pretty much all of it except the last 2-3 miles into Eastbourne for the finish and am up there most weekends. Ultras always seem to bite you in the arse just when you're not expecting it though - not taking anything for granted. Anything under the cut-off will do for me. Centurion run fabulous events though - have paced others on a couple of 100s and manned an aid station on the SDW100 for about 14 hours. Almost as much fun as running it.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Agreed - I did a Chi full day workshop, and have had a couple of 1:1 sessions as refreshers. Key seems to be high cadence (pitter-patter, not lumbering strides), midfoot strike, centre of gravity ahead of knees, leaning forward and keeping ankles, back and neck in a line. When it is flowing well, feels like you're floating along.........
my guys don't believe in the leaning forward - if you look at the top guys (farah, bekele etc.) who have incredible running efficiency are very upright.

Running efficiency is an amazing thing. Ross tucker is a south African sports scientist who is a world expert on such things (science in sport on Twitter) and is interesting to follow. In his discussion on the 2 hour marathon question, he mentions VO2max and many of the top marathoners (2.10ers) are in the low 70s. Mine was 70 when I was cycling full time! Biomechanics are incredible - all about light peripheries and very long achilles apparently!

I almost feel like my latest are landing behind me now but it's a lot less jarring.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If I was African and 25kg lighter, and 30 years younger I might try to copy them ! I did a lab-controled VO2 max test last year and came out at 56 which was apparently good for a 47 yo fat bloke.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Sounds familiar. I did L2B a couple of years ago and ate way too much at half way, then felt sick for about 5 hours.........I think I am OK with directions on the SDW, have run pretty much all of it except the last 2-3 miles into Eastbourne for the finish and am up there most weekends. Ultras always seem to bite you in the arse just when you're not expecting it though - not taking anything for granted. Anything under the cut-off will do for me. Centurion run fabulous events though - have paced others on a couple of 100s and manned an aid station on the SDW100 for about 14 hours. Almost as much fun as running it.

Cool, yeah I'm up on downs often too..not as much as I'd like tbh.. Looking to do sdw100 and pos, maybe TP 100 next year

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
If I was African and 25kg lighter, and 30 years younger I might try to copy them ! I did a lab-controled VO2 max test last year and came out at 56 which was apparently good for a 47 yo fat bloke.
Another interesting things, as you mention weight. I have had vo2max tests at various points - when cycling as a full time job, when running regularly and when completely unfit after an ACL injury.

My vo2 was almost identical each time but my weight was 62kg, 74kg and 83kg respectively and therefore my vo2max was only related to how much weight I could lose!

Apparently vo2max is mostly genetic and there is little we can do to change it!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Another interesting things, as you mention weight. I have had vo2max tests at various points - when cycling as a full time job, when running regularly and when completely unfit after an ACL injury.

My vo2 was almost identical each time but my weight was 62kg, 74kg and 83kg respectively and therefore my vo2max was only related to how much weight I could lose!

Apparently vo2max is mostly genetic and there is little we can do to change it!

That is interesting, as VO2 includes weight in the calculation.....the lighter you are the higher the number for the same effort........

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
That is interesting, as VO2 includes weight in the calculation.....the lighter you are the higher the number for the same effort........
Yes it's usually given in ml/kg/min so the lighter the better.

It's not actually a great predictor of performance as it's no good if your anaerobic threshold is at 50% vo2max.

It's fair to say though that at 70 I was never going to make the top as a cyclist (as British cycling were only too keen to point out!).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My arse. Handed to me on a plate. Doing 12m the day before probably didn't help but this was seriously hard -Black Cap, Castle Hill, Kingston Ridge, Firle Beacon, Bo Peep and Mt Caborn all included

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/720345293

Very tough run - hill after bloody great big hill, with Mount Caborn (out of Glynde to Lewes) at 24 miles a very real sting in the tail. At least the finish line was at Harvey's, with free beer for the finishers. Really well organised and friendly event, recommended for 5 hours of torture of you're interested next year (I think they'll carry on with it, feedback was great)

Had my full BUPA medical today (bad timing on my part). Apart from flexibility being a bit poor (he said 'hamstrings seem a bit tight' - no sh*t Sherlock !), all the cardio and lung-type stuff was good, VO2 max was 56. probably not the best day to do a static bike test though, quads are a bit mashed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My arse. Handed to me on a plate. Doing 12m the day before probably didn't help but this was seriously hard -Black Cap, Castle Hill, Kingston Ridge, Firle Beacon, Bo Peep and Mt Caborn all included

Very tough run - hill after bloody great big hill, with Mount Caborn (out of Glynde to Lewes) at 24 miles a very real sting in the tail. At least the finish line was at Harvey's, with free beer for the finishers. Really well organised and friendly event, recommended for 5 hours of torture of you're interested next year (I think they'll carry on with it, feedback was great)

Had my full BUPA medical today (bad timing on my part). Apart from flexibility being a bit poor (he said 'hamstrings seem a bit tight' - no sh*t Sherlock !), all the cardio and lung-type stuff was good, VO2 max was 56. probably not the best day to do a static bike test though, quads are a bit mashed.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Sounds like exactly the sort of race I'd avoid. I'm running the half marathon at Dorney Lake next weekend, flat as a pancake!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here