Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mainly ankles and it didn't get better after the marina, though I suspect the damage had already been done.

Last two long runs coming up one of which will be the Albion challenge which takes in the old Goldstone followed by Withdean then the Amex it's about an 18 miles round trip but pretty hilly so excellent prep, I would definitely recommend the route.

Plenty of time to do some ankle strengthening. Search runners world ankle strengthening.

I think I will do some. Planning to do marathon in ASIC Gel DS racers. Extremely light but sacrifice on cushioning. Ran 10 miles yesterday in the new shoes and felt great. They will now be used once every 2 weeks for one of the marathon pace sessions until the big day. So ankle strengthening it is.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If closed you can run through Asda car park past the shop front and continue East either on the road or follow the pedestrian busy footpath past the boats to the lock gates where you follow the marina wall to the under cliff.

Thanks knocky, I may go that way on a long run soon, when the early mornings get a bit lighter (my time to run).

All this talk of off-roading has got me interested, even though I'm no fan of getting muddy and dirty when running. Might invest in trail shoes later in the season, or next year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks knocky, I may go that way on a long run soon, when the early mornings get a bit lighter (my time to run).

All this talk of off-roading has got me interested, even though I'm no fan of getting muddy and dirty when running. Might invest in trail shoes later in the season, or next year.

For what it's worth I invested in some personal coaching to help me out, and he vehemently opposes me doing long runs on the road. The guy has a hell of a record, and is adamant that offroad is many times better for strengthening and conditioning and that road running long distances (keep it to races only) causes injury and much longer recovery times. Based on the last few months I'd agree massively - I have been doing 3-4 hour weekend runs on the Downs and easily running the next day without pain, no way I would be doing that after the same length of road run. My speed has also improved as apart from the long runs I do a couple of 'quality' speed session a week.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Can anyone recommend a small running back pack? Looking for something to carry a bit of food, maybe a waterproof for longer runs. Not too bothered about a built in hydration pack but I guess it would be nice. The main thing is the size as I don't want anything that will move around when I'm running.

Probably looking to spend about £30-£40 if possible.

Thanks

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Can anyone recommend a small running back pack? Looking for something to carry a bit of food, maybe a waterproof for longer runs. Not too bothered about a built in hydration pack but I guess it would be nice. The main thing is the size as I don't want anything that will move around when I'm running.

Probably looking to spend about £30-£40 if possible.

Thanks

http://www.sportsshoes.com/products/?q=bags

They have a good selection at ok prices...

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne
Any of you doing the Preston Park Parkrun tomorrow?
Will be my first time at Preston Park. I normally run at Eastbourne, but have a meeting at 11:15 near Preston Park so makes sense to have the away day before going to the match..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Will be my first time at Preston Park. I normally run at Eastbourne, but have a meeting at 11:15 near Preston Park so makes sense to have the away day before going to the match..

Not this week, horrible back to back of 12m tomorrow and 26m on Sunday :-(

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

No, setting off shortly for 18 miles with Hove Park PR somewhere in the middle. Don't really enjoy Preston Park - that long straight drags on and on- though will run through at some point later this morning.
What's Eastbourne PR like? I heard it's fast - good for a PB

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No Parkrun from me either after a Harveys session in The Albion yesterday afternoon winning on Cheltenham.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
No Parkrun from me either after a Harveys session in The Albion yesterday afternoon winning on Cheltenham.

Haha! Good for you- keep the priorities right!

30.8km/19miles this morning in 2:49. Pleased with that, spot on target for 3:50 marathon. Two more long runs until tapering.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Back running again after 2 months rehab for the hip and trying to change my running technique. Hip still feels tight but, so far, not so painful.

I definitely feel lighter on my feet after the technique sessions and did a 5k time trial this week in 18.30.

Hope to build to half this year and marathon next year if all holds up well.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Back running again after 2 months rehab for the hip and trying to change my running technique. Hip still feels tight but, so far, not so painful.

I definitely feel lighter on my feet after the technique sessions and did a 5k time trial this week in 18.30.

Good 5k time, esp after a 2 month lay off... What were your pre rehab times like?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Wow, bloody quick. Suggest you transfer to the 'official elite running thread' forthwith.........

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Good 5k time, esp after a 2 month lay off... What were your pre rehab times like?
Thanks. Bests were 16.50/36.50/1.20 so I feel like I can get close to them if I stay injury free.

I'm training for a triathlon and I think the cross training really helps, as well as stopping me from pushing the running too quickly.

I notice you are getting some impressive mileages in!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Wow, bloody quick. Suggest you transfer to the 'official elite running thread' forthwith.........
No good if you can't get to the start line though!

Really feel it was worth the technique sessions though as it became clear why I get the same hip injury over and over again.

Also, when running before, I never would have stopped all running for 2 months for fear of losing fitness but it's paid off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Really feel it was worth the technique sessions though as it became clear why I get the same hip injury over and over again.

Also, when running before, I never would have stopped all running for 2 months for fear of losing fitness but it's paid off.

I missed about 8 months last year but have come back stringer than before - cross training and loads of core work in the break has helped massively. Early days for me but quite encouraged.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I missed about 8 months last year but have come back stringer than before - cross training and loads of core work in the break has helped massively. Early days for me but quite encouraged.
Good to hear. It's encouraging to hear that you've had a big injury and are managing the monster runs you mention on here.

I gave up running for years thinking the hip was buggered but hopefully a different approach can yield results.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Out of interest who do you go to for technique session?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good to hear. It's encouraging to hear that you've had a big injury and are managing the monster runs you mention on here.

I gave up running for years thinking the hip was buggered but hopefully a different approach can yield results.

Mine was osteitis pubis and an associated stress fracture in the hip. No running at all for 6 months, then tore two calf muscles in quick succession when I re-started. Frustrating as hell. Started properly end November 14 so still very early days but 3rd marathon this year tomorrow and averaging 50 miles a week in 2015, plus two 5k PBs. SDW50 in 3 weeks time will be a real test.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here