Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****Official Paralympic thread****

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
This doesn't quite cut it. She was a minute ahead after the first of 8 8km laps, finishing 7:20 ahead of 2nd place having lapped half the field and overtaken the men's C1-3 race that started 2 minutes before the women's race! 'Won' isn't quite the right word. SMASHED IT!

She's now the most decorated British Paralympian, equal on golds with Tanni Grey0Thompson but with more silver/bronze. Oh, and in 2 different sports too.

LEGEND.

My apologies sir for my inadequate description of her victory. Your right, she did smash it and after going so far ahead of the ladies race, she was eyeing up the rear peliton on the mens road race that had started some time earlier.

Madam Cholet

Feb 29, 2012
And apart from the atmosphere and success of "Paralympics GB", the actually quality of the sport has been stunning. I bet those in the stadium last night will remember that night as much as anyone who was lucky enough to witness either of the Olympics Super Saturdays. And how adorable is Hannah Cockcroft?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That women's 4 x 100 medley was the best race of the games, amazing.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
On the way home from a brilliant day at the park. Had day tickets already but managed to get stadium tickets for this evening through the 2012 ticket alert website last night.

Saw the gb 7 a side this morning lose 4-3 aet to the argies, then saw the two girls win the tennis bronze with a fantastic comeback, they even saved 2 match points. Then the fantastic atmosphere of the stadium and got to see a few world records and Oscar run in the 400 heats at the end.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
On the way home from a brilliant day at the park. Had day tickets already but managed to get stadium tickets for this evening through the 2012 ticket alert website last night.

Saw the gb 7 a side this morning lose 4-3 aet to the argies, then saw the two girls win the tennis bronze with a fantastic comeback, they even saved 2 match points. Then the fantastic atmosphere of the stadium and got to see a few world records and Oscar run in the 400 heats at the end.

You lucky bugger, I so wanted to go to the Olympic stadium but many things have conspired against me and the family. London 2012 has been amazing wether the main games or the Paralympics. I'll be bereft come Sunday night.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just heading back from an evening at the Athletics. Superb. Most memorable moment was actually the discus. Never thought I'd hear myself say that. The guy that won threw a huge huge distance. The world record was broken by 3 different athletes and by the winner himself 3 times. Stunning.

Also, the stadium is fantastic. Might be a tad told on a wet Tuesday in December though.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just heading back from an evening at the Athletics. Superb. Most memorable moment was actually the discus. Never thought I'd hear myself say that. The guy that won threw a huge huge distance. The world record was broken by 3 different athletes and by the winner himself 3 times. Stunning.

Also, the stadium is fantastic. Might be a tad told on a wet Tuesday in December though.

Yes I'd agree with you there he was under pressure as well having been knocked down to second at the end. The Aussie shot putter was good as well breaking his own world record a number of times.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Cant believe its the last night of competition in the Olympic stadium.
No real British medal hopes tonight but to close hostilities this evening all eyes will be on Mr olivera and Mr Pistorious.
This is the one the south African really wants

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Cant believe its the last night of competition in the Olympic stadium.
No real British medal hopes tonight but to close hostilities tonight all eyes will be on Mr olivera and Mr Pistorious.
This is the one the south African really wants

Got a chance of a medal in the old spear throwing

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
So Oscar wins it with a majestic performance in the 400m and thus brings the curtain down on this amazing stadium.
It's been a funny old day for team G.B and after all the gold medal heroics of the last 10 days, it all went a little flat today. Just the brilliant 1 gold from Dave stone in the road race, a few other wonderful silver and bronze medals but a few hoped for golds weren't to be. G.B also dropped to third in the medal table after Russia leapfrogged us with a few golds today.
Our last gold medal hope of the games is from super Dave (werewolf) Weir going for his 4th gold of the games Tomorrow in the Marathon.
Go for it big guy ooooooowwwwwww

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I've been quite tolerant of some of the weaker points of the games coverage on channel 4. But I can't believe that on the final day and a good chance of medals in both mens and womens wheelchair marathon and they have no live feed at all. Just the occasional live clip and then the presenters in the studio describing where shelly long and dave weir are in the field.
Very disappointing

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Get in there Dave Weir. He wins the marathon to take his 4th gold of the games and takes team G.B to 34 gold medals. Come on shelly Wood let's make it a marathon double

Last edited:

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Well, what can I say about this summer of sport at the olympics? memorable, breathtaking, passionate, intense and an absolute bloody triumph. The main olympics delivered in absolute skip fulls, team G.B were brilliant to a man and won a record amount of golds and medals all told. After the initial ticket foroure every single event was played out infront of a passionate and partisan crowds. Everywhere you went there were happy smiling faces from spectators and the amazing volunteers.
And this then carried over to the Paralympics.
It's been the biggest and best Paralympics ever staged. And again team G.B didn't disappoint. In some ways it's been even more amazing to than the main olympics as all the athletes have an extraordinary back story to tell of suffering, courage and then triumph through adversity. As was seen at the olympics, every event was played out infront of excited crowds.
For me personally, I have to admit shame on me I had very little knowledge of Paralympic sports, I knew the basics (Oscar Pistorious was a legend, Ellie Simmons, Sarah storey and Dave weir were amazing athletes and good medal hopefuls) but I certainly know about them now and more, much much more. Let's add Jonnie peacock, Hannah Cockcroft, Dave stone, shelly woods ect ect to the list. I know it sounds corny, but after a couple of days of watching the Paralympics I started to forget about the disabilities and just saw amazing sports people. It has truely opened my eyes to how fantastic the disabled sports circuit is and how I will not be so ignorant again. Even if you discount all of the sporting prowess of these people , surely they have earned respect and adulation as human beings. Not being looked at by people as figures of fun and pitied but even looked up to as sporting heros by children. When a wheelchair bound athlete like Dave weir have the whole Olympic stadium on there feet cheering and an amputee by the name of Jonnie Peacock has near 80,000 people chanting his name and fall silent at the gesture of finger to lips, you know something has changed and for the better.
And as the curtain closes on these games, not only have I learnt a lot about the human spirit, I've learnt how amazing disabled sport is and will be hugely upset and disappointed if in future games it doesn't receive the credit and mainly t.v coverage it deserves and also for Me to watch.
Thank you for humouring me on this thread, it's been emotional :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here