Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Official NFL Thread 2022/23

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Wow, thrilled to bits with that!

Huge defensive cojones from Seattle second half to see out a narrow one point win.

Geno started well, and first half offensive was better than feared. Second half more like the expected, but we’d done enough and the D-Line held firm. Good debuts from several, including Charles Cross.

And kudos to the crowd. LOTS of noise to ‘welcome’ Russell Wilson back, resulting in several delay-of-game and false start penalties. Ha!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Huge defensive cojones from Seattle second half to see out a narrow one point win.

Geno started well, and first half offensive was better than feared. Second half more like the expected, but we’d done enough and the D-Line held firm. Good debuts from several, including Charles Cross.

And kudos to the crowd. LOTS of noise to ‘welcome’ Russell Wilson back, resulting in several delay-of-game and false start penalties. Ha!

Just watched it.

Although a Giants fan (Geno - you’re welcome), the Seattle crowd must be the best in the league.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Didn’t realise Washington redskins are now the Washington Commanders.

They were the Washington football team last season?

Where have you been? It's a lousy name but I am used to it now (should have been Redwolves, they could have made that happen if they were willing to spend some cash, but hey ho).

See you in a couple of weeks.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003

Very strange game - Broncos gave away so many penalties and with two turnovers when on the Seattle 1 yard line we didn't help ourselves. Those delays of game were very frustrating - you'd think he was experienced enough to know that would be an issue and to get the line organised more quickly. As for the decision to kick the field goal, if it had come off Hackett would have been a genius rather than it being an ill-judged rookie coach error.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Can Wilson not run anymore? Listening to The Athletic’s game recap this morning they were fearful that his legs have gone?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Can Wilson not run anymore? Listening to The Athletic’s game recap this morning they were fearful that his legs have gone?

I do think he’s gradually losing some of his strengths.

I mean, he still throws the best deep moon balls ever, and I’ll miss them like crazy, but his mobility ain’t what it used to be. Which makes his lack of height more of an issue than before, if he needs to sit more in the pocket.

I was more annoyed that we didn’t really replace him than the fact he went, if you see what I mean. But then he also wanted so much in salary we could barely afford to pay anyone else, so it had become unsustainable really.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very strange game - Broncos gave away so many penalties and with two turnovers when on the Seattle 1 yard line we didn't help ourselves. Those delays of game were very frustrating - you'd think he was experienced enough to know that would be an issue and to get the line organised more quickly. As for the decision to kick the field goal, if it had come off Hackett would have been a genius rather than it being an ill-judged rookie coach error.

I've just watched the highlights. Obviously you don't get all the penalties but I can't remember a game where there were two interference calls in an almost identical spot (on the same player!) to set up two recovered fumbles from an almost identical spot. Absolutely extraordinary. Quite the Week 1.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Bills D was stellar last year, with Von it went up a notch. He's on a 6 year deal in Buffalo and is not going anywhere next season... he's ours, all ours. After week 4 we get Tre'Davious White back. Barring any major injuries the Bills should at least make the conference championship, if that ends up being against KC it will be close to a toss up.
I'd be shocked if Miller plays more than two seasons with the Bills. Next season Allen's cap hit jumps from $16million to $40million and jumps again the following year. Now the BIlls will likely kick the can down the road with some of that - but in two years time they will have to cut some players to free up cap space. Miller cap hit this year is $5million - in 2024 it is $22million. He is due a $7million roster bonus in 2024 and that gives the Bills a saving - coupled with the fact that he will be 35 years old at that time - and that is old for an edge rusher.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I'd be shocked if Miller plays more than two seasons with the Bills. Next season Allen's cap hit jumps from $16million to $40million and jumps again the following year. Now the BIlls will likely kick the can down the road with some of that - but in two years time they will have to cut some players to free up cap space. Miller cap hit this year is $5million - in 2024 it is $22million. He is due a $7million roster bonus in 2024 and that gives the Bills a saving - coupled with the fact that he will be 35 years old at that time - and that is old for an edge rusher.

True, but the salary cap goes up by $17 million next year and $31 million the next year. Suspect all the teams are spending that future money now, and the Bills have started to become creative accountants. They'll find a way... and they will have to as I think Ed Oliver's rookie contract will be up.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
True, but the salary cap goes up by $17 million next year and $31 million the next year. Suspect all the teams are spending that future money now, and the Bills have started to become creative accountants. They'll find a way... and they will have to as I think Ed Oliver's rookie contract will be up.

The 'creative accounting' will only go so far - in reality the window for the Bills is this season and next season - after that they will start to hit some trouble. The window for the Broncos (because of Wilson's contract) is next season and the season after). Some teams have QBs still on a rookie contract and will have a longer window.

The 'creative accounting' is based on voidable years and dependant on TV revenues continuing to soar - they need exponential growth. However, there is a limit to this and I would arge that it is a lot closer than many in the NFL believe. By the way - the same situation is facing the PL (and the CL - which is why you had the attempt at a breakaway last season).

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Belated nod to the Bungles being the Bungles
Perhaps Not playing the first choice o line in pre season
At all wasn't the greatest idea But Joe Brrrrrr nearly played them back into it despite the 1st half clusterf@@@

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Belated nod to the Bungles being the Bungles
Perhaps Not playing the first choice o line in pre season
At all wasn't the greatest idea But Joe Brrrrrr nearly played them back into it despite the 1st half clusterf@@@

Quite. Big Joey B fans, but that was a nightmare….

Oh for a long snapper.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
If we finally win the damned thing after, literally, a lifetime of waiting then that's a price I'm sure most of my fellow Bills fans will be more than happy to pay.

Like I said - there is probably a two year window - this season and next.

And if I was to make a prediction I think the Bills will win at least one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here