Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
The Snowdrop have a great choice of ale and ciders, the Burning Sky is probably the worst pint i've had in there

They currently have Saison a la Provision on draught. I think Saison Printemps has now arrived too, but the former is simply amazing. You gotta try it soon before it goes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dropped into Brewdog Birmingham post Derby last weekend and got stuck into the 10 lines of Oscar Blues beers they had from last weeks tap-take over. First up was G' Knight which is a dry-hopped double red ale. It's a classic red ale turned up to 11 and clocking in at 8.7 ABV. A brilliant starting point. Next was GUBNA, their tequilla barrel aged double IPA at 10%. Next was their Ten Fidy Imperial stout at 10.5%. The game was fast becoming a distant memory at this point...as were a lot of things. Finished off with the classic Brewdog Mikeller I Hardcore You Double dry-hopped IPA before wizzing over town to the magnicent Al Frash balti-house.

I have some treats in my fridge for when work finishes today including a Clown Shoes Muffin Top Belgian Tripel style double IPA.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

I had a conversation about this a couple of years ago with a woman who writes for Beer Advocate magazine. She reckoned the aroma hop shortage there was hurting the US craft brewers more than the Europeans, simply because the European craft brewers were more comfortable paying the higher prices. With them offering more, the US hop growers have been falling over themselves to export their stuff rather than sell it on the local market.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm off to Barcelona next week. Any tips for some bars over there that serve a good selection of Craft Beer?

On a more general note is there a "craft pubs of the world" type website for this sort of thing?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I'm off to Barcelona next week. Any tips for some bars over there that serve a good selection of Craft Beer?

On a more general note is there a "craft pubs of the world" type website for this sort of thing?

Ale & Hop - Calle Basses de Sant Pere 10 - http://www.aleandhop.com/ - was widely regarded as the best beer bar in town last I heard.

Or check this list for some other ideas. http://www.ratebeer.com/places/city/barcelona/0/183/

Ratebeer is a bit US-centric, and you do get people just sticking their local on there whether it's any good or not. But for the most part it can be a useful source. (For many places, not just Barcelona.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I bought some bottles of this when I was in Barca a few years ago.
http://www.estrelladamminedit.com/en/

A rather nice beer by Ferran Adrià, the famous chef from the El Bulli restuarant.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003

This place looks interesting too... http://biercab.com

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I went to the Wandering Goose in Worthing last night ( i think it was recommended on this thread previously. Very nice pub, with some good beers and very reasonable at £4 a pint for a Brewdog IPA.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Brodies Brodenbach Grand Cru - had to drink a second pint to decide if I really liked it. Starts like a Belgian Geuze , all sour notes and ends like a mouthful of iron filings. Not sure I am selling this well, but the first Brodies beer I have really enjoyed.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Courtesy of Vegster I have just enjoyed a Maredous Triple which comes in at as stonking 10abv. How they hide that strength I don't know but what a lovely beer. We do tend to neglect the Belgiums when we talk on this thread. Anyway... A stunning beer that makes such a change to the big hoppy monsters we are tending to gravitate towards nowadays.
I've had my hops though with some Plateau earlier.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Courtesy of Vegster I have just enjoyed a Maredous Triple which comes in at as stonking 10abv. How they hide that strength I don't know but what a lovely beer. We do tend to neglect the Belgiums when we talk on this thread. Anyway... A stunning beer that makes such a change to the big hoppy monsters we are tending to gravitate towards nowadays.
I've had my hops though with some Plateau earlier.

I love my beer but I genuinely can't see what the fuss is about with this Plateau.

I've had it it on more than one occasion and it's , er, ok, and really that's about it for me.

Rather 'wishy washy' for me, chaps.

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
I love my beer but I genuinely can't see what the fuss is about with this Plateau.

I've had it it on more than one occasion and it's , er, ok, and really that's about it for me.

It's a 3.5% session beer, what did you expect? Try the Aurora 5.6%% or the Devil's Rest at 7% if
you want a fuller taste.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

My local seems to either have Plateau or Kent Pale as it's session ale and then they'll always have 5 or 6 more that up the stakes somewhat. If you want to have 4 or 5 and still feel human the next day then it's tasty enough to do the job. He stronger ones haven't won me over yet apart from The Saisons.
Did you get punked over the weekend by the way ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here