Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***OFFICIAL*** Brighton vs Reading Thread

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
although we lost, we played well and deserved a draw! so im quietly confident we will survive!roll on plymouth:clap2:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Okay, my view on the game, now I'm in the cool of my house rather than the sauna that was the Madjeski Stadium.

Despite the result I'm actually quite encouraged. We lost today because the midfield hadn't played together before, and this left the back-four exposed, however they showed enough to make me feel that they will gel quite shortly. Jarrett and Nicolas looked lively, I'll reserve judgement on Currie, he had some nice touches but blatantly wasn't match fit.

What encouraged me the most was our two goals, both exceptionally well taken, particularly Robinson's which was very calmly taken for a 17 year old.

Had we been given the penalty early on things might have been a little different. Certainly Reading should be worried about conceding 2 goals to a team that isn't well bedded in yet.

Can't wait for Tuesday now.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Reading view on penalty claim:

"In the first half & we were sooooooooooooo lucky to get away with it, blatent trip by Williams."

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Generally not too disappointed in the match. The most disappointing thing was the result - butwe hardly expected them to be blown away.

Nicholas was the best of the new lot. Good touches but clearly needs a big fella next to him. Once Chippy is back, I suspect Oatway's days are numbered. Reid was a little anonymous.

Jarret showed some nice skills, but hasn't worked out yet when to release the ball. When Jones came on, you could tell his experience - though not necessarily his skill.

Currie did a very good impression of a tree, he didn't beat anyone - nor did he try to. What had happened to Hart? If Currie is his replacement, then this is a black mark against McGhee for this.

Molango looked busy, but lacked support - took his goal superbly. I suspect him and Knight will work well together. Jake Robinson - lovely turn for his goal.

I was a bit disappointed with the full-backs - both were run a bit ragged today. Neiter had their best game, although both looked exposed by Currie and Jarrett's clear lack of defensive understanding.

Quite heartening, but we need some more experienced players back sharpish. Didn't quite gel as a team, but we do look as though we can.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
We need Mayo back. Harding made the mistake for Swindons second play-off goal and today for Forster. I like him but would feel safer with Kerry.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Two good finishes by our front men,but what was Reid trying to do for our free kick?
He tried to play it fancy and then the next thing you know Harding is left one on one,makes a bit of a mess of it and we are 3-1 down:nono:

Jones comes on and does absolutely nothing basically,Currie didnt run at there full back once,so what has Hart done wrong then?

Reid in my opinion had a nightmare,but hopefully he will learn from that and quickly!!!!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Hi to bloke I was chatting to on the bus going to the stadium, he said he'd posted a thread on here once about Falmer without getting a reply. Hope you enjoyed the game and if you post again that you get more of a response!!!

:wave:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I really, really, really enjoyed today.

I expected to lose so that hasn't really hurt me too much.

I'm buzzing because we're back in The Championship, We scored the quickest goal I have ever seen, two young strikers scored, we comprehensivly outsung Reading (not hard but great fun).

I was pleased to see Danny Cullip play well. He started poorly at this level last time around. I think Guy Butters did well today. He was so calm. Virgo and Harding were ran ragged. Currie did little to impress but on the other hand Harty did very little last season imo. I don't think Currie deserves much stick yet. Reid showed good control and did all right. Nicolas was very impressive winning a lot of balls and playing it around nicely. Oatway did really really well keeping Sidwell quiet and although he was awful with the ball we were poorer without him. Albert Jarrett looked like a livewire. Exciting prospect. Molango reminded me of Zamora. Not his talent but his posture, they way he stood with his arm on his hip and the way he ran.. :jester: He chased everything and looked like a good player.

So happy overall. I think tuesday is a 6 pointer though.. even at this early stage.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
good game. we made a few mistakes and were punished, simple as that. if we tighten up defencfifly then i don't see we have a problem, and you have to remember reading are one of the better sides in the division, we almost held them to a draw. its an encouraging start.

i dont think losing oatway helped, as he wasn't having a bad game till when he went off, and he was keeping harper and sidwell relatively quiet

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Del Boy said:
cocacolachampionshiptableafter1game.jpg
the table means nothing to me

(he says after happily singing and dancing "WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE" at 3-00 -3-01 ) :blush:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Braders7 said:
the table means nothing to me

(he says after happily singing and dancing "WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE" at 3-00 -3-01 ) :blush:

even though leeds were top of the league then :lolol:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
i agree with you turkey, I had a strange feeling we were going to lose this one. I came over from france. Can't really say I enjoyed the drive( traffic shit compared to france) or parking. Couldn't park anywhere without paying, eventually parked near a rec ground. Was met by two inbred fat reading fans who thought it would be funny to take the piss out of my brighton car sticker, scarf etc called the usual faggot boy and watch your arse. then these wankers realised my car had a french numberplate and started on the fact that I must be a fecking frog as well!

As for the game, Cullip MOM for us. Harding had a bit of a shocker. Does currie every run? I think we missed oatway when he went off. Butters a little bit slow? Molango is going to be quality. Reid not in game much. Superb Albion support. Weather too hot!

albionman

May 22, 2004
Sayers Common
Just back from Reading. I thought we did well against a side who I think will be 'there or thereabouts' at the end of the season.
One think that did disappoint me was that people seem to be getting on to Currrie's back already. People behind me were moaning after half an hour. "Get him off".
I guess he will be the target for the 'whingers' this season. So sad that people can't appreciate that players don't go out to perform badly (not that he did mind you IMHO).
Great support overall though and hopefully people will realise that survival in this division is the priority and that how we do it is not so important.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here