Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Some of the miserable trolls will shortly come along and say I’m posting too much. But you’re a good poster and as you addressed me I want to respond. I think there’s a misunderstanding here. Of course noone is suggesting that Naylor doesn’t talk about Ben White. That article is not new, that is from yesterday, correct?

I and a few other were suggesting that Naylor (and Owen) didn’t break any news on the huge Ben White story. It was all after the event. All the info that got out was gleaned from Arsenal sources, the opening enquiry. The £40m bid and the final £50m + bid that was accepted.

It’s not a dig on anyone, I have enjoyed reading Naylors articles, he’s a good columnist and his tweets are fun. But no news was broken on that Ben White story and I’m sure through no fault of his own. That’s all I’m saying and not really sure how that’s a controversial opinion.

See, for me Naylor is a boring writer and self important tweeter. Therefore he has to get stuff right about the club. There was a point where he wasn’t being fed anything in the aftermath of Poyet but he seems to have been forgiven and will have far better sources than some random Italian bloke on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He’s in real danger of getting stuck at Celtic this season and effectively treading water for two seasons. He hasn’t shown anywhere near the right level of application and it must be a concern for teams. If he’s had three of the best games of his career in the qualifiers and yesterday people would be on for him but he looks close to playing himself out of a move until next summer. I still think he is worth a punt. Maybe a
Cheeky single figure million bid at the end of August. Nunez looks a better fit but there is potentially a good player in Edouard.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
He’s in real danger of getting stuck at Celtic this season and effectively treading water for two seasons. He hasn’t shown anywhere near the right level of application and it must be a concern for teams. If he’s had three of the best games of his career in the qualifiers and yesterday people would be on for him but he looks close to playing himself out of a move until next summer. I still think he is worth a punt. Maybe a
Cheeky single figure million bid at the end of August. Nunez looks a better fit but there is potentially a good player in Edouard.

The same Nunez who recently had knee surgery for the 2nd time in 3 years. Err..no thanks.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The same Nunez who recently had knee surgery for the 2nd time in 3 years. Err..no thanks.

But a better fit to what we need as a striker. Yes please.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
OMG your fickle!

A month ago you posted that we should have signed Toney instead of chasing Nunez

Well Toney is now out of the question. Not fickle is it!? Just reflecting the current state of play.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
He just wants a striker- any striker. How hard can it be? :wink:

No. Wrong again. I have been far more discerning than that. And you know it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
109 pages for a Celtic player. Obsessed.

Huh? It’s a transfer rumour. As like anyone linked with us people are going to talk about it…

I probably haven't posted on this thread but will now as involves a possible BRIGHTON target, you know, the team we are supporters of. So yes, hands held up, guilty, obsessed all right, with BHA.

Exactly.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
See, for me Naylor is a boring writer and self important tweeter. Therefore he has to get stuff right about the club. There was a point where he wasn’t being fed anything in the aftermath of Poyet but he seems to have been forgiven and will have far better sources than some random Italian bloke on Twitter

I just wanted to make the point originally that Naylor isn’t a source of truth. Owen as well, although less so.

Many signings we make they are reacting to the news rather than breaking it. I mentioned the Ben White story as a good example, but there are others, ie Mwepu. All broken by other journalists.

I enjoy Naylor’s club articles and banter on Twitter so wanted to mention that to give some balance.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No. Wrong again. I have been far more discerning than that. And you know it.

Discerning? I can’t remember a single suggestion you’ve made off your own bat. Just the same tantrum every transfer window.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Discerning? I can’t remember a single suggestion you’ve made off your own bat. Just the same tantrum every transfer window.

It's so dull isn't it? I mean I agree we need a new striker as much as the next man, but this whinging every window is pretty pathetic. He's on ignore [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

You obviously need to sharpen your reading and comprehension skills GB.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
I just wanted to make the point originally that Naylor isn’t a source of truth. Owen as well, although less so.

Many signings we make they are reacting to the news rather than breaking it. I mentioned the Ben White story as a good example, but there are others, ie Mwepu. All broken by other journalists.

I enjoy Naylor’s club articles and banter on Twitter so wanted to mention that to give some balance.

What you don’t understand is that the interaction between clubs, agents and media has a massive impact on potential transfer success, fees etc. Media can be used as leverage by agents and clubs and vice versa, they can be frozen out for good reason. Naylor is right to wait until the deal is done to report it. It’s just good journalism. Meanwhile fans with a voracious appetite for fake news, rumours and spin still lap it all up then have the gall to say that Naylor the journalist is bad at his job! It’s amazing really it is!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
What you don’t understand is that the interaction between clubs, agents and media has a massive impact on potential transfer success, fees etc. Media can be used as leverage by agents and clubs and vice versa, they can be frozen out for good reason. Naylor is right to wait until the deal is done to report it. It’s just good journalism. Meanwhile fans with a voracious appetite for fake news, rumours and spin still lap it all up then have the gall to say that Naylor the journalist is bad at his job! It’s amazing really it is!

Thankyou Mrs Naylor :thumbsup:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Of course I understand that. More than you know.

Are you related to Naylor per chance? Again I’m not criticising the guy. I have given him many compliments. All I’m saying is it’s a mistake to view him as a complete source of truth for transfer rumours. See the Ben White story broken by Arsenal ITKs and Mwepu via a Salzburg ITK on Twitter and many more. If he’s given info from the club it’s info they want him to share.

Please don’t take it as a criticism of him, it’s more a heed for folk to not to take his word as gospel that’s all as some do.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville

There are other instances when clubs and media need to interact and I know that the club keep a close eye on what the Argus says about them. Their view is that the Argus needs them more than they need it at the moment. But a local paper can be an asset to a club in a way that a website such as The Athletic can't - campaigning, helping mobilise fans with petitions, lobby local councillors etc - and I wonder whether Owen is now regarded as more useful to the Albion than Naylor?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here