Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
In retrospect, it was clearly an attempt by Celtic to orchestrate a bid from some team or other before they get absolutely robbed for less than £10m on transfer deadline day. I suspect they tipped off a journo with some BS after receiving a discreet enquiry. Desperate measures by a desperate club who were rumoured to be demanding £30m+ last summer but will do well to get even a third of that on August 31st.

Remind me who they re playing poker with ?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry lads

Recruiting strikers ain't cheap

What was Ings reported at, £125k p/w? Tammy over £100k

Lallana has been reported at 90k https://www.spotrac.com/epl/brighton-hove-albion/payroll/

If we're going to get a striker who is obviously better than Maupay (tbh I've never watched the Celtic fella play so no idea if he is not) we'll be paying up and around what we're reported to be paying Lallana

Yes, I think we all had a pretty good idea about the structuring of the Lallana deal - I expect the team did too. Now let me spell it out .......... Edouard is no Lallana!

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Yes, I think we all had a pretty good idea about the structuring of the Lallana deal - I expect the team did too. Now let me spell it out .......... Edouard is no Lallana!

Exactly But you know Some around here are inclined to PANIC Every day that passes and we haven't signed a striker:laugh:

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I am struggling to think of any Celtic strikers that have come south and done the business.The only names i can come up with are Brian Mc Clair and before that Kenny Dalgleish

I would rather see Big Jurg back in the team than spunk ANY money on this guy

Someone PLEASE sign him(but not us!!)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am struggling to think of any Celtic strikers that have come south and done the business.The only names i can come up with are Brian Mc Clair and before that Kenny Dalgleish

Joe Jordan……Ali mccoist?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

For about the 7th time ...

I'm not commenting on Edouard as whether this would be money well spent, as I just don't know.

I am commenting that a striker who is likely to go straight in to the first team instead of Maupay is very likely to command the sort of salary Edouard is rumoured to have asked for and that Lallana is reported to be on. Around £85k. We can't be squeamish about these figures. It's the market rate. Equally we can't get arsey if TB walks away from paying that much once more.

This 85k per week won't guarantee goals or quality. You need to pay upwards of £125k to be very confident that the signing will be a success.

Also I wouldn't compare the striker to Lallana as you've just done. A salary premium for a goalscorer is at least 20 to 25%. So if if we do get a striker who's on £85k ish. It doesn't mean they are as talented as Lallana, just that they are a striker.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Larson did well I think. But yes, not many seem to. If we’re talking keepers, Graeme Smith was a huge success…

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Joe Jordan……Ali mccoist?

Jordan only played 8 times in Scottish football - virtually all his career was in England. Ali McCoist scored a mere 8 goals in 58 appearances south of the border! Brian McClair did OK though, as did Alan Gilzean. I'm not sure what a few successful Scottish strikers have got to do with taking a punt on a Frenchman though.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Jordan only played 8 times in Scottish football - virtually all his career was in England. Ali McCoist scored a mere 8 goals in 58 appearances south of the border! Brian McClair did OK though, as did Alan Gilzean. I'm not sure what a few successful Scottish strikers have got to do with taking a punt on a Frenchman though.

The point i was trying was because he has scored goals for Celtic does not mean he can do it down here

I think he will wind down his contract and go back to France

He is not coming to the Albion

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I don't see that the league or the club has loads to do with it.

A good striker, or any player might be found anywhere.

We've signed Moder and Mwepu, from a weak leagues, players from South America where domestic competition isn't all that. We've also signed players from down the leagues in England who've turned out to be good.

Whoever we buy will be on potential. It won't be on what they've done or where they come from, it will be on what they can do in the future. We get more calls right than we do wrong.

We're in a great position though, where TB can always just walk away from any deal not in our best interests. We're not desperate. We probably will stay up anyway, we don't have a basket case fan base screaming for anyone to sign (well not as many as Newcastle anyway), we've got decent options already at the club and very promising academy players a few years away.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For about the 7th time ...

I'm not commenting on Edouard as whether this would be money well spent, as I just don't know.

I am commenting that a striker who is likely to go straight in to the first team instead of Maupay is very likely to command the sort of salary Edouard is rumoured to have asked for and that Lallana is reported to be on. Around £85k. We can't be squeamish about these figures. It's the market rate. Equally we can't get arsey if TB walks away from paying that much once more.

This 85k per week won't guarantee goals or quality. You need to pay upwards of £125k to be very confident that the signing will be a success.

Also I wouldn't compare the striker to Lallana as you've just done. A salary premium for a goalscorer is at least 20 to 25%. So if if we do get a striker who's on £85k ish. It doesn't mean they are as talented as Lallana, just that they are a striker.
I very much doubt if he would go straight into the first team ahead of Maupay to be honest, and a salary premium for a young striker someone's taking a punt on isn't 25% higher than a player who has played at the very highest level with distinction, regardless of position.

Leaving that aside. someone rrecently replied to a post, I think on this thread, possibly in reply to you but I'm not sure about that. However, their reply was, "I'm glad you're not in charge of our recruitment."
I'll just leave my calling card there.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I don't see that the league or the club has loads to do with it.

A good striker, or any player might be found anywhere.

We've signed Moder and Mwepu, from a weak leagues, players from South America where domestic competition isn't all that. We've also signed players from down the leagues in England who've turned out to be good.

Whoever we buy will be on potential. It won't be on what they've done or where they come from, it will be on what they can do in the future. We get more calls right than we do wrong.

We're in a great position though, where TB can always just walk away from any deal not in our best interests. We're not desperate. We probably will stay up anyway, we don't have a basket case fan base screaming for anyone to sign (well not as many as Newcastle anyway), we've got decent options already at the club and very promising academy players a few years away.
Ok.Forget the fact that he plays for Celtic.

I cannot see him adding anything to our team

The argus and Naylor have rubbished the story.He is not coming

FACT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here