Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well, watching him for a while would be a start, if you still feel he is worth paying more than Maupay, thats up to you, but really watch him and watch the defences he's up against, watch the goalkeepers he's beating, ask yourself would he skip past premier league defenders like that? Would he be allowed that much space in the penalty box in the premier league? Would the goalkeeper at, i dunno, lets say Brighton or Brentford or Leeds or Villa (i could go on) have done better with that effort, if you still feel he is worth £15-20 million and 85k p/w, then i'm watching the wrong player.

There are players in the SPL that are good players and i would be thrilled if we signed them, but none of them are strikers.

I don't feel that

Like I said, i've no idea if he's a better player or not.

What I was saying it that we can't baulk at paying £85k per week if we do think we've found someone who's better than the strikers we currently have. Because that's the going rate

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't feel that

What I was saying it that we can't baulk at paying £85k per week if we do think we've found someone who's better than the strikers we currently have. Because that's the going rate

The going rate for Edouard seems to be £85k pw and £20m to Celtic at the moment.

However, the going rate on August 31st will probably be half of those figures above because the jeopardy for Celtic is that they lose a £9m striker for nothing and the jeopardy for Edouard is that he stays on £19k pw whilst seeing his potential earnings of £85k pw plummet as he is frozen out of the 1st team next season. Celtic have to sell, Edouard would be wise to accept something like a 100% pay rise. He is leaving, it’s going to happen.

Until the transfer fee and salary demand become reasonable to the sort of clubs who are looking at him (us, Nice etc), he is not going anywhere.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I don't think 85k is that much in the current climate, would assume that Dunk is comfortably on at least that, if not more. Strikers typically earn the big bucks!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I don't feel that

In my opinion, and thats all it is, although i have watched both players a lot, he isn't even close to as good as Maupay, a different style for the last 10 minutes when we are not getting through, yes why not, but i certainly wouldn't want us to be chucking over 4 million a year at that on wages, possibly over a 5 year contract, not a bloody chance. It may be the going rate at clubs like Villa, but at Brighton you would need to be exceptional. He is not, again, IN MY OPINION.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Does that include U23, cleaners, stewards etc?

One for resident NSC dullard who i cribbed this from
http://priceoffootball.com/brighton-2019-20-reel-around-the-fountain/
But if your point is that its not a true reflection of the first team squad costs then maybe - i don't know. But i think its a good steer for the size of player contracts. But of course its an average.
Only the top 6 paid 85K or more per week.

Looking at the article, the 48k average per week rolls up to 103M per year on salaries - that means it relates to just 41 people 103M / (48k*52) = 41

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
I have no real idea if he is that much better than what we already have but If we want him and the £85k will disrupt our payscale then could we not pay a signing on fee of 2 or 3 million to keep the actual salary within our limits. I am aware its not my money and it is all in the opinion of those in charge.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have no real idea if he is that much better than what we already have but If we want him and the £85k will disrupt our payscale then could we not pay a signing on fee of 2 or 3 million to keep the actual salary within our limits. I am aware its not my money and it is all in the opinion of those in charge.

It is likely we did something like that for Lallana and Welbeck - but they are proven PL quality, not a punt like Edouard.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Once he rose above the noise and confusion
Just to get a glimpse beyond his illusion
He was soaring ever higher
But Scotlands up too high
Though my eyes could see, he was such a fast man
Though my mind could think, he had only come from scotland
15 goals, am I dreaming
I can hear them say

…*Carry on, that Edouard's fun
We all hope he'll score a tonne
Sure, Clyde's defenders weren't the best
We've signed you to score.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well fancy that ...No “serious offers” for Edouard received by Celtic says Guardian writer/Ed Aarons

https://twitter.com/ed_aarons/status/1427687978277670912?s=21

As if we didn’t know, but put those ‘journos’ who made up such ridiculous specifics on our ‘don’t trust ever’ list.

All palarse fans commenting under that - looks like it’s them thats perhaps actually interested - shall we shut this thread down now, as he’ll be a success there no doubt…

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As if we didn’t know, but put those ‘journos’ who made up such ridiculous specifics on our ‘don’t trust ever’ list.

All palarse fans commenting under that - looks like it’s them thats perhaps actually interested - shall we shut this thread down now, as he’ll be a success there no doubt…

In retrospect, it was clearly an attempt by Celtic to orchestrate a bid from some team or other before they get absolutely robbed for less than £10m on transfer deadline day. I suspect they tipped off a journo with some BS after receiving a discreet enquiry. Desperate measures by a desperate club who were rumoured to be demanding £30m+ last summer but will do well to get even a third of that on August 31st.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here