Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ian Nacho has been one of the EPL’s top strikers this year. Lots of bench warming for Oddy if he chooses to follow Rodgers.

He’d surely start for us alongside Welbeck & Tross if we swoop for him.

This.

He'd be a regular starter here, he wouldn't at Leicester and possibly not at Arsenal depending on their other deals.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
That sort of money every club in the EPL would be interested, even the promoted teams .

If he chooses a Massive club like Arsenal :nono: he will be carrying the drinks for Lacca Saka and Boomerang , I like him so he should come here and live out the rest of his footballing days in peace harmony and total obscurity from the press .

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A confusing thread, comments of he’s not good enough for the PL then in the next sentence he would choose either Leicester or Arsenal over us as they do think he’s good enough ??? Very odd.

I reckon that might be because not everyone agrees all the time

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Edouard and Nketiah for the sale of Bissouma with little cash spent.
We already have Moder and Caicedo to cover his loss.
Bite your hand off

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
As i've said previously, i think he would struggle with the step up, the best defence he faces in Scotland has a couple of players who couldn't hold down a place in Brightons first team. Scoring goals against Hamilton and Motherwell, whilst having the odds stacked in your favour by being supported by the best team mates the country has to offer, is a million miles from doing it against some of the best defences in the world.

At £15 million, i would take the gamble in that he gives us something different, but i don't see him as better than we already have, just different and would expect similar returns in terms of goals.

Worth remembering, this is a league where Kris Boyd is the record all time goal scorer, didn't do so well in a better league (Championship) where his team mates supporting him were not the best in the country although Middlesbrough were still a good team for that standard.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. If I was a striker wanting to make an impression in the Premier League, Brighton would be a club that would interest me. It's obvious in the game that we make a lot of chances, so it's a real opportunity to score goals in the Premier League

Completely agree. I have also said before our famous missed chances compilation should be part of the sales pitch for aspiring strikers. “Come here and we will give you all these chances to make a name for yourself. You can possible get 20 a season with us”.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Having watched a couple of probably hugely misleading YouTube videos (and immediately muting the crap, thumping Locadia-esque dance music), the things that jump out as me are as follows:

- Scottish defending is dreadful;
- He sorts his feet out quickly;
- His 1-on-1 finishing is very confident;
- He takes a good penalty;
- He loves a dink.

The last 4 are all about technique, confidence and composure, which is something we tend to lack in the final third. He may not be given the time and space he's used to but, given the amount of chances we have that are then scuffed/shanked/blasted over, having a playing brimming with confidence in his ability to find the net has to be worth £5m of any transfer fee in and of itself. Hopefully Maupay can rediscover his confidence too, in which case we'll have a lvely bit of competition up top.

If we sign him. Which I don't think we will.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This is the market we’re in. We’re not going to get a Giroud or Tammy Abraham.

Punts from lesser leagues. Lower epl. Players who’s stock is low. Unknown young gems who can’t get game time.

I think if £15m is true it’s a punt worth taking with huge upside if he ends up performing in the PL.

I'll give you Zeqiri - the very definition of a investment that might not work out but Maupay was the Championship player of the season, Andone was a young striker with18 goals in La Liga and Welbeck had a poor injury record but was still 29 and a solid England/EPL performer.
Do we really buy strikers from "lesser leagues" .

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Edouard and Nketiah for the sale of Bissouma with little cash spent.
We already have Moder and Caicedo to cover his loss.
Bite your hand off

Caicedo may well cover Biss's loss eventually, BUT Biss has just emerged as one of the defining midfield talents in domestic/European football. Bissouma can have the same transformative effect on this football club that Kante had at Leicester and many appear to be willing to let him go without truly analysing what effect it might have on the side. Admittedly we have a BIG problem putting the ball in the net and a Jamie Vardy/28-year old Glenn Murray would help - but Potter appears to be getting the side right from back to front - Sanchez, back-5, BISSOUMA and we can all hope that next season we'll make strides in that area too. But it'll be much harder to do by ditching THE key constituent part i.e. a bona-fide world class midfielder. Whatever the club do next, and they have to be razor-sharp-Bloom-smart to do so, we have to examine every option without letting Bissouma leave.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
I'll give you Zeqiri - the very definition of a investment that might not work out but Maupay was the Championship player of the season, Andone was a young striker with18 goals in La Liga and Welbeck had a poor injury record but was still 29 and a solid England/EPL performer.
Do we really buy strikers from "lesser leagues" .

If you view 'not premier league proven' as 'lesser', which I guess a lot of people on here do, then yes we do, welbeck aside

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
He hasn't really kicked a ballad season for the Great Unwashed but for the last few matches started to look interested again. I wonder why? :) I reckon he would be worth a punt for £15m and with the correct service could deliver the 15+ goals a season we need. Also think he would be a better spoil for DW upfront than Maupay.

TNBA

TTF

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
At 15M I'd jump but you start getting into silly money north of the high 20's and he's scarier. Seems to play well when he wants a move or contract and then disappear. Might not be fair on him but impression I've gotten.

If it's true Leicester and Arsenal (instead of Nketiah?) want him then he'll likely rot on their bench rather than start here for a champions league (of XG) team.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Caicedo may well cover Biss's loss eventually, BUT Biss has just emerged as one of the defining midfield talents in domestic/European football. Bissouma can have the same transformative effect on this football club that Kante had at Leicester and many appear to be willing to let him go without truly analysing what effect it might have on the side. Admittedly we have a BIG problem putting the ball in the net and a Jamie Vardy/28-year old Glenn Murray would help - but Potter appears to be getting the side right from back to front - Sanchez, back-5, BISSOUMA and we can all hope that next season we'll make strides in that area too. But it'll be much harder to do by ditching THE key constituent part i.e. a bona-fide world class midfielder. Whatever the club do next, and they have to be razor-sharp-Bloom-smart to do so, we have to examine every option without letting Bissouma leave.

Entirely agree with your analysis of Bissouma. Nobody is trying or wants to “get rid” but his departure is inevitable

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Entirely agree with your analysis of Bissouma. Nobody is trying or wants to “get rid” but his departure is inevitable
Exactly.

For me, add to that if he is going to go I want him to go early in the window and not on deadline day.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I agree, he is a gamble and if we are looking at a gamble I would rather we go for someone who has done it at a higher standard, but still a gamble like
Sasa Kalajdzic 23 year old forward for VfB Stuttgart who scored 16 goals in the Bundesliga and would cost around the same at 15 million..

https://youtu.be/AaCTXdvErRA

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I agree, he is a gamble and if we are looking at a gamble I would rather we go for someone who has done it at a higher standard, but still a gamble like
Sasa Kalajdzic 23 year old forward for VfB Stuttgart who scored 16 goals in the Bundesliga and would cost around the same at 15 million..

https://youtu.be/AaCTXdvErRA

Like him. Please Uncle Tony......

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I think it's more the overly simplistic notion (on here, generally) that we can reinvest any money we receive for Biss solely in attack and not feel his absence due to the likes of Moder and Caicedo potentially stepping up. There's a reason we're very likely to receive bids of upwards of £40m for him! Players of his quality don't come around very often.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think it's more the overly simplistic notion (on here, generally) that we can reinvest any money we receive for Biss solely in attack and not feel his absence due to the likes of Moder and Caicedo potentially stepping up. There's a reason we're very likely to receive bids of upwards of £40m for him! Players of his quality don't come around very often.

True, but thats why Ashworth is here, future planning for such events, I do think Moder or Caicedo will come in and we may spend the money elsewhere, its exactly why we bought them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here