Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obscure places known only because of their football teams

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think Clyde used to be in Glasgow (as did the late lamented Clydebank) but they relocated to a new town some miles outside the city...having been to their ground I bet there are some who wish they had stayed put.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Nailsworth, Gloucestershire

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
How about Edinburgh, with Hibs and Hearts...the latter is named after a dance hall, apparently...neither feature the city in their name. Their other team, Meadowbank Thistle, were relocated and became Livingston.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
While watching the Romanian film 'California dreamin'' (which is worth a look in itself), I noticed a rail sign that had the name of a town/club that regularly features in the early qualification rounds of the Europa League

Evidence of spending too much time watching Ceefax for footie scores :)

*Could've been Teplice

Last edited:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Surprised no one's come up with Accrington Stanley! Where is it? And who was Stanley?

From Wikipedia:

Accrington Stanley is an English football club from Accrington in Lancashire, in the North West of England, who play in Football League Two, the fourth-highest division in the English football league system.

The club was formed in 1968, by Stanley Wotherington, with the town regaining a club with league status after 44 years when they were promoted as champions of the Football Conference on 15 April 2006.[1]

Ilyas Khan has been chairman of the club since saving it from possible oblivion in late 2009 (along with club President Peter Marsden). The club employs Robert Heys as Chief Executive and David O'Neill as Managing Director and Head of Operations.

In 2008, the club was the subject of a documentary series, Accrington Stanley... Exactly!. The name was a reference to a 1980s milk advert which mentioned the team. "Accrington Stanley, Who Are They?...." "Exactly".[

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Not really an obscure place, but what about BSN team Vauxhall Motors? Aren't they made up of workers at the Vauxhall company?

Spun Cuppa

A couple of seasons ago, I thought there was a new club called, 'Brighton and Hove Albion nil...', having heard it read out so many times in the classified results...

:jester:

Spun Cuppa

I used to see TNS in the results pages of Ceefax, and thought it was Total Network Solutions, but it now seems to be The New Saints, if they are the same team ???

Spun Cuppa

Not really an obscure place, but what about BSN team Vauxhall Motors? Aren't they made up of workers at the Vauxhall company?

I saw them play at Selsey in The Vase over ten years ago. Don't know their selection criteria tbh. Similar thing with Met Police. Saw them beat Burgess Hill again in The Vase by the Thames. I wonder if they get especially clogged ???

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

How about the Metropolitan Police, who have a team...they represent an area that contains loads of teams, pretty much anyone inside the M25.

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
How about Edinburgh, with Hibs and Hearts...the latter is named after a dance hall, apparently...neither feature the city in their name. Their other team, Meadowbank Thistle, were relocated and became Livingston.

Always thought Hearts was from Heart of Midlothian?

Sweaty Football is pretty dreadful on the whole - working offshore I can get to see lots of it if I want to....

Thankfully there are DVD Players in the cabins these days and I have lots of music downloaded on my laptop:laugh:

I think Clyde used to be in Glasgow

Sort of. They were originally in Rutherglen, a town in Lanarkshire. Between 1974 and 1997 Rutherglen was within Glasgow Urban District Council's borders, but nobody really considers it to be part of Glasgow. Rutherglen is now within South Lanarkshire's borders. They did ground share for a while at Partick Thistle (which is in Glasgow), though.

(as did the late lamented Clydebank)

Clydebank were never in Glasgow. They were (and the reborn club are) in Clydebank! The town of Clydebank has never been a part of Glasgow. They currently groundshare with Yoker Athletic (also in Clydebank), whose ground is about 200 yards from the border with Glasgow.

Never, ever tell a Bankie he's a weegie.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I used to see TNS in the results pages of Ceefax, and thought it was Total Network Solutions, but it now seems to be The New Saints, if they are the same team ???

They are indeed. I believe they started out as Llantsantffraid (sp?) and changed to Total Network Solutions under a sponsorship deal when the League of Wales was re-jigged a few seasons back. Then they found that clubs in the Champions League (I think) aren't permitted to be named entirely after commercial corporations, so they rather cunningly changed it to The New Saints, which not only effectively name checks their sponsors still, but is also a reference to their original name.

My Welsh isn't that good but I seem to recall the name Llantsantffraid means something about a saint.

Good eh?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I just looked it up, Llantsantffraid means "Church of Saint Bridget" in Welsh, so all in all, The New Saints is a pretty good name, methinks.

They actually play in England these days I think.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It was only when it got to be called the south coast club that I realised Southampton wasn't a close neighbour to Northampton :)

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Airbus, who play in the Welsh league.

Leigh RMI, I thought it was in Essex before but it's near Wigan and proper grim. About £1.50 for a pint of piss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here