Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obscure places known only because of their football teams

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
This is a fair point, Brighton would be fairly well known because of the seaside resort as would be Blackpool, Crystal Palace would be pretty well known because of the actual Crystal Palace. Liverpool is always been talked about as is Manchester.

How about chesterfield? They're famous for a dodgy looking church spire?

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Burton Albion. Who would ever gave heard of Burton without the team being there?

And Gillingham - that's a town that would happily be forgotten if it weren't for us hearing about their relegation battle every year.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Battlefield, Glasgow?
Any takers?

Badger.... Put them out of their obvious misery..

I would have a complete guess at Queens Park. Parks, battlefields, they could be the same thing, right?!

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
I would have a complete guess at Queens Park. Parks, battlefields, they could be the same thing, right?!

A wee but of help there Edna?

Yes it's Queen's Park who play at Hampden Park in Battlefield, although residents wouldn't thank me for reminding them of that. The streets of Battlefield are a dogs toilet - certainly the local dogs think so :laugh:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A wee but of help there Edna?

Yes it's Queen's Park who play at Hampden Park in Battlefield, although residents wouldn't thank me for reminding them of that. The streets of Battlefield are a dogs toilet - certainly the local dogs think so :laugh:

No help at all in all honesty...I was trying to think of Glasgow teams who weren't Rangers or Celtic and the first (alright, only) one I came up with was Queen's Park :lolol:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Burton Albion. Who would ever gave heard of Burton without the team being there?

And Gillingham - that's a town that would happily be forgotten if it weren't for us hearing about their relegation battle every year.

Burton is WORLD FAMOUS if you are a Beer Drinker - the home of English Brewing, although there are now only 5 Breweries (and 3 are micros) there used to be a dozen or more based in the town :drink:

Can't disagree about Gillingham.......:lolol:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire

Burton Albion...............source of Peter Ward,and a very large brewing town.

Gillingham................source of the caravan?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This is the test then, isn't it? Is a town famous for anything else other than a football team?

It might only be for having a singer and a fat MP (Rochdale) or for hanging monkeys (Hartlepool) or for being full of, er, seamen (Pompey), but it still means you'd have heard of them if they didn't have a football team.

I'm not sure what Gillingham is famous for, so that probably counts, same goes for Rushden.

Without using search engines, which clubs play in these places?

1. Kirkcaldy
2. Methil
3. Battlefield, Glasgow
4. Dumfries
5. Dingwall

Good luck.

Having been to all of these grounds...

Ugliest town of those is Dingwall, ugliest view from the ground - indeed, surely the ugliest sight in all of football - is Methil.

Rochdale is world famous for being the birthplace of the Co-operative movement. Likewise, Burton was famous throughout the British Empire for its beer. And I passed my driving test in Walsall.

The Crystal Palace was famous for being in Hyde Park and being the site of the Great Exhibition of 1851 that celebrated the best of British inventive genius. What went wrong?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
The Crystal Palace was famous for being in Hyde Park and being the site of the Great Exhibition of 1851 that celebrated the best of British inventive genius. What went wrong?

The Crystal Palace burnt down after they moved it so Sydenham Hill. There was a huge glass structure in Adelaide Square in 1833, which fell down on its opening night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here