Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oatway breaks County players leg

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It was a poor tackle but hardly a hanging offence. I do think though that it's time we dropped Oatway and played a midfield of Jones, Reid, Carpenter and Hart. I still take the view that Oatway is not up to Div 2 standard.

:rolleyes:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think the guy is actually a Coventry player on loan to County.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Zebedee said:
It was a poor tackle but hardly a hanging offence. I do think though that it's time we dropped Oatway and played a midfield of Jones, Reid, Carpenter and Hart. I still take the view that Oatway is not up to Div 2 standard.

:rolleyes:

Funnily enough he was dropped from the team altogether towards the end of the season last time we were in Division 2.

However I think our chairman awarded him a nice long contract

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Jam The Man said:
Didn't look that bad a tackle to me.. nowhere near as OTT as is being described.. and I don't think it was malicious

I would agree with that. Accidents do happen in football and although it is tragic for the player concerned don't make the tackler out to be some sort of animal.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It was just in front of me - looked a genuine challenge, not intended to hurt, but very late.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Shame about the broken leg but these things do happen occasionally.Charlie went for the tackle as he always does 100% and the other guy came off the worse.Was a bit late because he had been chasing to get the ball back,no malice.

ziggy

Sep 19, 2003
Hastings
So let me get this right. You're saying Charlie Oatway won a tackle? FANTASTIC, well done Charlie, I knew you could do it one day.
OK that's enough of picking on Charlie. He may not be the best player we have but he puts in 100% effort every game. If we make div.1 he won't be good enough but he will always be a Legend because of the commitment he has to this club.
Charlie Oatway,
Charlie Oatway,
Charlie Oatway,
Charlie Oatway!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Beach Hut said:
Funnily enough he was dropped from the team altogether towards the end of the season last time we were in Division 2.

However I think our chairman awarded him a nice long contract

Actually he had play 23 games this season to get another year on his contract,which he accomplished in the Sheff Weds game.

So he has got himself another season with us next year.and thats all.And at the age of 30 he knows it may well be his last pro contract.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Turkey said:

coventry did have a pipe. i think he was born in doncaster, played for cov and on loan at county. ooopps, charlie what have you done? my brother is a coventry fan. :eek:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I wonder whether Charlie has had the good grace to apologise to the County player? I thought it was a bad challenge and McGhee was right to substitute Oatway. He could do with a spell on the bench now. We really can't afford to have Charlie being reckless against either Swindon or Hartlepool.

:shootself

PS But if Charlie played again like he did in the first half against Plymouth he'd be in my first eleven!

Last edited:

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
i did'nt realise a miss timed tackle is now a hanging offence and it is funny how some peoples dislike to a player sometimes clouds thier judgements on a subject.
a bad tackle which had a unfortunate outcome thats all.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I wasn't at the game so I can't comment on this particular incident but I do thing football is turning a bit soft. Any physical contact these days seems to result in a yellow card, players can't tackle from behind and if you so much as look at a goalkeeper it's a foul.

I was watching a program on ITV 2 last noight about UEFA Nations cup in the '60s. The goalies were challenged and shoulder charged in a way that would be totally unacceptable these days. There were some pretty tasty challenges too.

Has the beautiful game gone soft or what?

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
One other thing, charlie hard? You never saw Paul Clark then! The crack when he broke Lil Fuccillo's leg at the was heard all round the Goldstone, everyone knew exactly what had happened straight away. Now Paul was an animal!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was a bad challenge, but Charlie obviously didn't set out to break the guys leg. As has been said earlier, these things happen from time to time in football.

Oh, and a big :clap: to St Johns with the stretcher. Could they possibly have taken any longer to get across the pitch ? There's a player laying there 100 yards away in agony with a broken leg, but the way they strolled and sauntered across with that stretcher, you'd have thought they were popping out to get the Sunday morning papers. I know it was a pain disturbing their nice little sit-down in the sun, but a bit of urgency would hardly have killed them, would it.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Easy 10 said:
It was a bad challenge, but Charlie obviously didn't set out to break the guys leg. As has been said earlier, these things happen from time to time in football.

Oh, and a big :clap: to St Johns with the stretcher. Could they possibly have taken any longer to get across the pitch ? There's a player laying there 100 yards away in agony with a broken leg, but the way they strolled and sauntered across with that stretcher, you'd have thought they were popping out to get the Sunday morning papers. I know it was a pain disturbing their nice little sit-down in the sun, but a bit of urgency would hardly have killed them, would it.

That struck me too Easy 10. They couldn't have moved more slowly if they had wanted to.

:lolol:

Notts County Lass

Dec 24, 2003
Nottingham
Turkey said:

Some how we've managed to sign him permanently, he's an absolute gem. :D

We're told that although it was initially feared he'd broken his ankle, it's actually only a ruptured ligament, though his season is over. :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here