Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oaten stands down

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I agree 'error of judgment' could about to enter the pantheon of understatements. I'm sure his wife and daughters will see it the same way.

What I never understand is the stupidity, or is it arrogance of these people. I know he stepped down as a leadership candidate - but how on earth did he convince himself to go for it in the first place, knowing there was some rent-boy who could easily sell the story of their sordid little encounter? It just defies belief.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Its the arrogance of most people who put themselves up for public office, and any hypocrisy should not be forgiven.

Do not feel sorry for this hypocrite.

In this respect Rupert Murdock does everyone a public service.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
When I lived in Winchester Oaten was my MP. He's a strange chap, likes to have a finger in all the pies and most of the city seemed to agree he was a bit over-ambitious but made for a good politician on a local level.

Guess he's f***ed that up now, and I can taunt my friends down there that their MP is a gayer, as small recompense for all the taunts I get for living in Kemp Town

15_main.jpg

Whilst walking on Hampstead Heath, I saw a young bird in distress. Whilst I bent down to pick up the poor animal, I tripped on a stone and accidently entered a young man. It since transpired that he has, on occasion, performed services for other Members of Parliment in return for financial gain. I now feel the matter is closed!

:clap2: :clap2: :)

Who said truth is stranger than fiction?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bluejuice said:
When I lived in Winchester Oaten was my MP. He's a strange chap, likes to have a finger in all the pies and most of the city seemed to agree he was a bit over-ambitious but made for a good politician on a local level.

Guess he's f***ed that up now, and I can taunt my friends down there that their MP is a gayer, as small recompense for all the taunts I get for living in Kemp Town
But he's a lot better than that tory wanker John Brown - who was our MP when I lived in Winchester.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
REDLAND said:
Another career ruined by the News Of The World

Good work AGAIN you wankers !!
Truly pathetic. I don't think that Oaten has gone on record bleating about family values, so the Screws can hardly claim to be exposing hypocrisy.

It just plays up to the News of the World readership's endlessly morbid prurience -- aren't even stupid people growing tired nowadays of pretending they're endlessly shocked by this kind of thing?

If this were France, the papers could not legitimately carry the story. In the country of Frutos and Carole, they'd simply shrug their shoulders at one person's way of getting his rocks off in private. It's no business of ours.

Will we ever grow up?

Dr Feelgood

Banned
Feb 15, 2004
worthing
I really do not care about Oatens sexual preference but being an MP he should know better than than poke percy in rent boys, he just sets himself up for blackmail ect .
Can we albion fans get any mileage out of this its cruel I know but it has to be done, maybe we could ask Baker his thoughts on the matter, lets kick em whilst they are down.
As they say in Tescos every little helps.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gilliver's Travels said:
Truly pathetic. I don't think that Oaten has gone on record bleating about family values, so the Screws can hardly claim to be exposing hypocrisy.

It just plays up to the News of the World readership's endlessly morbid prurience -- aren't even stupid people growing tired nowadays of pretending they're endlessly shocked by this kind of thing?

If this were France, the papers could not legitimately carry the story. In the country of Frutos and Carole, they'd simply shrug their shoulders at one person's way of getting his rocks off in private. It's no business of ours.

Will we ever grow up?

You're having a laugh, aren't you? This must be a wind-up post, no one can seriously hold that opinion about this story.

You're asking people to put their trust about some of the issues that most affect their lives in a man who is is so dishonest he has lied all his life to his wife and daughters.

It's a personal tragedy, and no one other than the sick will be taking pleasure in what's happened. But he's finished politically, there is no question he had to go, and that is evidenced by the speed of his resignation for the front bench after being presented with the NOW story.

You're right that France has a different attitude to extra-marital affairs, and probably no bad thing. But this is different to a mistress or gay lover here and there, and a rent-boy scandal would certainly make news over there.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
With the Liberal Democrats now on the ropes, any political activity against them now is justified, so as to kick them when they are down, to make them stay down.

Never forget the actions of Bellotti and Baker and the poor excuse of a Political Party they represent.

dcseagull

Dec 8, 2005
Washington DC
Gilliver's Travels said:

Will we ever grow up?

Agree 100%

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Quoted from the News of the World.

"Last year he CONDEMMED a judge who was sacked for hiring rent boys"

Typical LIBDEM hypocrisy.

Gilliver's Travels said:

Will we ever grow up?

I didn't like Oaten as a politician at all but you are spot on. Persecuting him for stuff like this is all very sad in this day and age :nono:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
From Popbitch

"Which Lib Dem wannabe leader used to be a regular visitor to a brothel in Paddington where he used to pay girls to shit in their knickers for him, and would then put the dirty pants in his briefcase and take them home"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here