Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O2 Contract Ending on my iPhone, Considering 3 any advice please

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I assume that when my 24 month iPhone 4 contract runs out in a few months the phone is mine, so I could put a Giffgaff card in there? Or would it not be unlocked?

You need to go through the unlocking process with your current provider. I just did it with an O2 iPhone and a 3 Galaxy, painless. O2 do it FOC providing you ring them and do it before your contract ends, 3 charge £10 (I think). You get a code, you type it in, and then you have a SIM free phone, well, at least that's what happens with O2 & 3.

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
Thanks for all your help guys, I have decided to buy an unlocked iPhone 4s and go to GiffGaff. Anyone on here want to take the order for the new Sim as I think you get payback points?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Giffgaff is the way forward mate
I've used my iPhone 3GS constantly for over a year and it has cost me NOTHING at all!

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Giffgaff is the way forward mate
I've used my iPhone 3GS constantly for over a year and it has cost me NOTHING at all!
So you've never called an 084 or 087 number (or are they free)?

The advantage of Giffgaff seems to be the free data usage, which I don't use at the moment. Otherwise my 02 is actually cheaper.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
So you've never called an 084 or 087 number (or are they free)?

The advantage of Giffgaff seems to be the free data usage, which I don't use at the moment. Otherwise my 02 is actually cheaper.

what i meant is that Giffgaff have paid ME over £130 in a 13 month period. I top up £10 per month to get my unlimited internet, unlimited texts and 250 minutes so x 13 months = £130. Payback from Giffgaff = £130. Total spent in 13 month period = £0.

That is unbeatable.

Ps Why would I call a 084 or 087 number anyway? To answer the question, no those numbers are not free. Calls to those kind of numbers cost more on any mobile network so I would just use the landline!

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I have no idea how much data I use - currently on an unlimited one, which comes to an end in April - how much use does it take to get up to 100, or 500 MB etc?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I use 3 on iPhone 4. Good deal, great reception, very fast 3G. Customer services are in India, but have improved and have always delt with any problems well. For me, 3 is good.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I have been with O2 for about 8 years now, but I think at £45 for a monthly contract on an iPhone3 is a little high compared to some deals around now. I am looking to upgrade to a 4S and I am particularly attracted to deals being offered by the 3 network at the moment, but I am getting mixed reports as to the quality of the signal.
Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Do not, under any circumstances go for 3 mobile. Awful, awful company. In fact the only company I've considered taking to court. I was sucked in because it was cheap but the customer service was disgusting and the signal non existent. They told me it's the same as Orange but I can't see how it can be as I'm with Orange now and it's great. 3 took my money every month and provided the worst service any company has ever provided me with. I would get important calls go straight to answer phone for no apparent reason and not get the notification of an answerphone message 3 or 4 days later. The same would happen with text messages.

I was stuck with them for 18 months.

Please, just don't do it. I hope 3 mobile goes bust, or seriously sorts themselves out.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Do not, under any circumstances go for 3 mobile. Awful, awful company. In fact the only company I've considered taking to court. I was sucked in because it was cheap but the customer service was disgusting and the signal non existent. They told me it's the same as Orange but I can't see how it can be as I'm with Orange now and it's great. 3 took my money every month and provided the worst service any company has ever provided me with. I would get important calls go straight to answer phone for no apparent reason and not get the notification of an answerphone message 3 or 4 days later. The same would happen with text messages.

I was stuck with them for 18 months.

Please, just don't do it. I hope 3 mobile goes bust, or seriously sorts themselves out.

Blimey, that was bad. I've been with 3 for 3 or 4 years and not had a single problem.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
what i meant is that Giffgaff have paid ME over £130 in a 13 month period. I top up £10 per month to get my unlimited internet, unlimited texts and 250 minutes so x 13 months = £130. Payback from Giffgaff = £130. Total spent in 13 month period = £0.

That is unbeatable.

Ps Why would I call a 084 or 087 number anyway? To answer the question, no those numbers are not free. Calls to those kind of numbers cost more on any mobile network so I would just use the landline!

Why have they been paying you? Sounds good but not sure how it works?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Why have they been paying you? Sounds good but not sure how it works?

They don't have a call centre instead the have a forum much like this one where you ask questions and advice. If you post any reply you get a little cash, the more you post the more you get! The main cash comes in though from recommendations so everyone who signs up through you gets £5 free credit and you get £5 payback which you can cash in every 6 months!

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I have been with O2 for about 8 years now, but I think at £45 for a monthly contract on an iPhone3 is a little high compared to some deals around now. I am looking to upgrade to a 4S and I am particularly attracted to deals being offered by the 3 network at the moment, but I am getting mixed reports as to the quality of the signal.
Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

I think the cheapest iPhone deal is with TMobile (bear with me). Call O2, say you've been looking at alternatives, and O2 will match it.

If they're silly enough to let you go, note that Tmobile and Orange are virtually one in the same company, or will be very very shortly. They share eachother's masts and reception won't be a problem.

Sorry if someone else has suggested this, I haven't read the thread through. I have done the same thing at the end of my Orange contract though.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK

That is unbeatable.

Why are they paying you back? I don't see any mention of that on their website?

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
Well despite the advice I did go to T-Mobile on the Full Monty contract and got an i-phone 4S - phone should have cost £99 but wangled it for free as I signed up through a friend who had just gone back to T-Mobile and they did her and me a special deal as she had referred me. So far no complaints - had to call their customer service a couple of times and they were quick and efficient. Signal seems to be fine and seem to get a better signal at home than i did with O2 which used to fade in and out. Costing me £36 a month for unlimited texts, 2000 cross-network minutes and truely unlimited data useage with no 'reasonable use' restriction.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Giffgaff - £10 a month with unlimited data, unlimited texts and 250 mins of calls (although giffgaff to giffgaff mins are free).
If you can afford to splash the cash for an iPhone up front it is the best and cheapest way to own.
What's the cheapest I can get a new iPhone 4, 8gb? The £10/month deal would suit me, if it's the cheapest way to go. My mate got an iPhone 4 at £20 / month though, and £50 purchase (when renewing his o2 contract) which is pretty cheap. That's 24 months * £20 + £50 = £530, equivellant to £24 * 10 + £290 (and he doesn't have to pay up front) - can I get a new iPhone 4 for £290?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Moved from Orange to 3 when I got my 4S (had 3gs previously).

I still get problems (life's not perfect) ie had a connection, lost connection, moved back into connection area, but phone still stuck trying to talk to the first tower - I have had this problem from both providers so think it more of a handset issue, flicking to airline mode and back is normally the kick required.

3 gives me much much better 3G coverage in almost every location I'm regularly in (though no signal in the Amex!) at a tiny fraction of the price I paid at Orange and without the contractual obligations too because I bought the handset from Apple and pay a minimal £10 for my one month contract with 3.

I did the maths and am better off to the tune of a couple of months subscription to have paid upfront.

I text and whatsapp far more than I make calls so the cheapest 3 deal (£10 for 100mins, 1Gb and *loads* of texts) is perfect for me.

I'd recommend moving mate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here